Author Topic: Rakim  (Read 779 times)

budsmokeronly

Rakim
« on: September 03, 2002, 06:04:34 AM »
I have never really heard much of Rakim at all.  In fact the only songs I can think of that I have heard of his are the one on the Juice soundtrack with Eric B. and Addictive.  Personally I thought his part on addictive was nothing special at all, but the song on the Juice sndtrck is tight.  Am I like the only one on here who hasn't heard much of him, and consider him the "best" rapper ever.  As well as I can remember (which isn't very well) there was pretty much no talk about Rakim on this board.  And then Dre announces that Rakim is on aftermath records and Mellowman describes how Dre says this could be the best album ever, that was like a year ago or so.  Since then so many people talk about Rakim.  I don't have any opinion on him because I have only heard 2 of his songs, but it seems like some people are just hip hop groupies who jump on the bandwagon because all of the talk about Rakim.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Reef

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Guess Whos Back?
Re: Rakim
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2002, 06:12:26 AM »
Rakim is dope, no doubt. I heard alotta talk about him a while back and decided to pick up 'The 18th Letter/Greatest Hits' and the CD is off the hook. I suggest you pick it up or download some tracks off it or off his previous albums with Eric B.

I aint heard the soundtrack that you mentioned, but i have (obviously) heard the Truth Hurts joint. It dont do him justice. He is a dope rapper, there is no question. One of the greatest? I wouldnt argue that either..

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2002, 06:18:39 AM »
 Am I like the only one on here who hasn't heard much of him, and consider him the "best" rapper ever.  As well as I can remember (which isn't very well) there was pretty much no talk about Rakim on this board.  And then Dre announces that Rakim is on aftermath records and Mellowman describes how Dre says this could be the best album ever, that was like a year ago or so.  Since then so many people talk about Rakim.  I don't have any opinion on him because I have only heard 2 of his songs, but it seems like some people are just hip hop groupies who jump on the bandwagon because all of the talk about Rakim.

That's what I see, Dre could be producing a Ja Rule album and everyone here would switch up and be waiting for the album.

Hopefully after listening to Oh My God they will go and cop his other albums cause he did does have material before "Addictive" and joining Aftermath.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2002, 06:22:29 AM »
LONG LIVE THE KANE!

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2002, 08:03:08 AM »
Go here for everything...

http://ohhla.com/YFA_rakim.html

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2002, 08:56:40 AM »
i only got curious to rakim after i heard he hooked up with dre too, so i picked up his old shit with eric b and he's deffiantly TIGHT. not the goat but he is great. and a legend too.
peace

Don Seer

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2002, 09:07:46 AM »
yeah i know some people be jumpin on his nuts... i dont claim to know everything and dont really know if he's the best.. but he's one of the only old originators to make it through to the modern era. I had Paid in Full and 18th letter before this dre shit went down.

my favourite Ra track ever is the coldcut '7 minutes of madness' remix of paid in full which i first copped on an old skool compilation years back and led me to follow up more ra stuff.

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2002, 09:08:25 AM »
U do know why Ra's considered the GOAT don't u? its not just because he has mad talent putting words together that rhyme, but because he changed the game with his styles and flow. He started shit loads of things (like rhyming words in the middle of a line, not just the end) that weren't done until he came along and without him rap would be a lot more basic, that is why he is the GOAT. Yeah ras kass often gets more deeper, others may have better flow but they have not made any major changes to the rap game like Ra. U see damn near 100% of rappers that came out after Ra (and a lot who came out before) have been influenced by him, thats why he's God.
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

Don Seer

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2002, 09:14:28 AM »
uh oh.. back to the 'complicated lyrics makes u a better rapper thing' :) IMO its not.. its how well u convery an image to someone... Guru is another master at this. still i know whut yer saying.. he's an originator, innovator...  thing is.

how many people noticed snoop would always cover an old skool hiphop track on his albums up until recently? lodi dodi, vapors, cindafella etc... paying dues... todays fans aint knowing about the past... they just know the here and now unless they step another level into the culture.

hearing rakim come in on addictive.. to somone who recognised those words was like a quasi-resurrection... to someone who hasnt bumped his stuff... i dunno.

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2002, 09:23:28 AM »
I don't know if u were refereing to me when u said "complicated rhymes make you a better rapper" i was trying to show its not just his lyrics as to why he is the GOAT
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2002, 09:33:08 AM »
U do know why Ra's considered the GOAT don't u? its not just because he has mad talent putting words together that rhyme, but because he changed the game with his styles and flow. He started shit loads of things (like rhyming words in the middle of a line, not just the end) that weren't done until he came along and without him rap would be a lot more basic, that is why he is the GOAT. Yeah ras kass often gets more deeper, others may have better flow but they have not made any major changes to the rap game like Ra. U see damn near 100% of rappers that came out after Ra (and a lot who came out before) have been influenced by him, thats why he's God.

Yo u just hit the fucken nail on the head....very tight post.
Ra took the "Grandmaster Flash & The furious 5" blueprint and ran wit' the realness about life. (White lines/The messege)

He drew pic's with his words....
After Ra.....the game became aware of content period.
Before Ra.....every rapper was talking bout snatching the "S" off of superman's chest and playin' basketball...lol

The Dre thing mean's nothin' to a fan of Rakim.....But to the mainstream it mean's they will finaly be blessed to hear one of the great's spitt.

Hatesrats 2oo2

Don Seer

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2002, 09:36:22 AM »
I don't know if u were refereing to me when u said "complicated rhymes make you a better rapper" i was trying to show its not just his lyrics as to why he is the GOAT

it was kinda pre-emptive defense of your post ;) the next thing that would have been said in a reply to ya post by someone who will say.. 'but rass kass shits on rakim'.

haterats
i just hope his OG fans dont switch up and say he's sold out... altho he's worked with Dre before anyways

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2002, 09:38:58 AM »
Many people consider him the G.O.A.T. cuz he was a pioneer back in the 80's, like NWA or KRS-ONE were and he was the one to cum up with more complex rhyme structures. Listenin to him I don't actually think it's the greatest shit I ever heard sumbody spit, but he changed the game so much that u gotta pay respect to him, even if u don't actually feel him that much

Don Seer

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2002, 09:41:34 AM »
its like this... umm......

the first guy to step on the moon is remembered right? the rest... largely forgotten.... yet even when someone goes further and steps on mars... massive advances in (in ra's case production techniques and lyrics) technology... but u cant take away the fact that armstrong was the first on the moon.

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2002, 10:55:32 AM »
About Dre..If dre was to produce an entire Ja Rule album. I most definatly WOULD NOT buy that album..I would download the instrumentals.So don't talk about bandwagons..I was first interested in Ra a couple years ago than slept on him for a bit.Then i heard he hooked up with Dre and i am bumpin the 18th letter again.