Author Topic: Rakim  (Read 781 times)

bez

Re: Rakim
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2002, 11:01:11 AM »
I have never really heard much of Rakim at all.  In fact the only songs I can think of that I have heard of his are the one on the Juice soundtrack with Eric B. and Addictive.  Personally I thought his part on addictive was nothing special at all, but the song on the Juice sndtrck is tight.  Am I like the only one on here who hasn't heard much of him, and consider him the "best" rapper ever.  As well as I can remember (which isn't very well) there was pretty much no talk about Rakim on this board.  And then Dre announces that Rakim is on aftermath records and Mellowman describes how Dre says this could be the best album ever, that was like a year ago or so.  Since then so many people talk about Rakim.  I don't have any opinion on him because I have only heard 2 of his songs, but it seems like some people are just hip hop groupies who jump on the bandwagon because all of the talk about Rakim.

I am the same  as you my friend, I have never heard n e of Rakims shit exept for Addictive, and I heard a song the other day called Fllow the Leader with Eric B, that sounded cool but to tell you the truth if I was given 50 qwid to buy 5 cds with I prob wouldent buy a Rakim 1 cause I aint never heard nothin of him till he signed for the math.  But from what I have heard he is that shiznit so I will prob cop the aftermath album like.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Murrow

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2002, 01:40:46 PM »
Same here.  Never was a Rakim fan, and still not sure if I am one.  Though, I really like his verse on "Addictive" and his extra on on the Remix.  I just trust everyone here when they say he is dope.  And now I can look forward to "Oh My God."

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2002, 01:44:17 AM »
Your problem guys is that, you always stuck up in this gangsta rap thining that to be dope you have to rap about bitches and killing. to prove this to you y'all never listen to RAKIM's full album nah you never. I wolud not be surprised if you all don't know the rapper called IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE do you? To me rapping is all about lyrics & content. Basically a good rapper is judged according to his lyrical content, thus is he adding value to the hip hop community (Tupac-dear mama, Nas-second childhood, Guru, Bahamadia, Rakim-don't sweat the technique,Immortal Technique-viva la revolution,etc)  

Don Seer

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2002, 02:46:01 AM »
thing is... some people are new to hiphop... it takes time&money to progress and find what you do and dont like... they'll get there in the end....... or quit and get into techno - lol

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2002, 03:24:28 AM »
yeah i know some people be jumpin on his nuts... i dont claim to know everything and dont really know if he's the best.. but he's one of the only old originators to make it through to the modern era. I had Paid in Full and 18th letter before this dre shit went down.

Same here. "Paid In Full" was my bro's first, but since he handed all his old hip-hop records down to me he kind of started my collection off  ;D You don't even have to love his music to understand why he's such a legend though, just listen to the music and you will be amazed at how many records have been spawned from not only "Paid In Full" but alot of his other work with Eric.B and his solo work. He's had such an impact on hip-hop that it's pretty unbelievable that not that many people know of him, hopefully "Oh My God" will change all that. I think it's good that people who don't necessarily know of his older work are anticipating his work now he's with Dre, it's gonna open up alot of peoples eyes to what hip-hop really is about and it will also turn them onto his older work. Thats not a bad thing, don't hate on the people who are only now showing him props, Ra deserves the recognition imo.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2002, 04:31:35 AM »
Rakim gets noticed on this board after signing with Dre 'cause this is a westcoast board. Westcoast issues, and before signing with Dre, Rakim was quiet with the exception of The Master.

As for Rakim being the G.O.A.T. He was very lyrical, and his rhymes were ahead of his time. Listen to rappers in 1987, then listen to Paid In Full, in which he changed the whole game. Before Rakim, the G.O.A.T. was Melli Mel of the Furious 5, after Rakim, the G.O.A.T. was 2Pac. But there is still only one Rakim, and I've called him the 2nd greatest rapper for along time, long before Dre. But he is to rhyming, what Dre is to production, he changed the game and forced everyone on his level. Very few have meet the challenge. Listen to "In The Ghetto", one of the best lyrical storytelling songs I've heard. Rakim has changed the game in terms of rhymes. Before him people weren't as advance as him. After him, great rhymers such as 2Pac, Nas, Notorious B.I.G., Ras Kass, a hungry Jay-Z, the D.O.C. and many more. It's very clear why some call him the G.O.A.T., 'cause he set the standard.

budsmokeronly

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2002, 04:40:38 AM »
thing is... some people are new to hiphop... it takes time&money to progress and find what you do and dont like... they'll get there in the end....... or quit and get into techno - lol

I definately am not new to hip hop.  I been down since 93.  I just have never bought a Rakim album, and none of my friends have an album of his, so I really didn't know about him.  I have heard of him for years, but I didn't know that he was supposedly so good.  And I will never quit listening to rap for that techno crap.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2002, 07:06:05 AM »
Rakim gets noticed on this board after signing with Dre 'cause this is a westcoast board. Westcoast issues, and before signing with Dre, Rakim was quiet with the exception of The Master.

As for Rakim being the G.O.A.T. He was very lyrical, and his rhymes were ahead of his time. Listen to rappers in 1987, then listen to Paid In Full, in which he changed the whole game. Before Rakim, the G.O.A.T. was Melli Mel of the Furious 5, after Rakim, the G.O.A.T. was 2Pac. But there is still only one Rakim, and I've called him the 2nd greatest rapper for along time, long before Dre. But he is to rhyming, what Dre is to production, he changed the game and forced everyone on his level. Very few have meet the challenge. Listen to "In The Ghetto", one of the best lyrical storytelling songs I've heard. Rakim has changed the game in terms of rhymes. Before him people weren't as advance as him. After him, great rhymers such as 2Pac, Nas, Notorious B.I.G., Ras Kass, a hungry Jay-Z, the D.O.C. and many more. It's very clear why some call him the G.O.A.T., 'cause he set the standard.

/\ /\ /\ /\ The truth...

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2002, 08:07:08 AM »
I wolud not be surprised if you all don't know the rapper called IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE do you? To me rapping is all about lyrics & content.

Off topic for a moment. I've heard of this guy, only recently though as i'm quite a big fan of Jean Grae and I heard she made a track with him called "Illest" so I thought i'd check it out. I did a search for him and I came across the site to Viper Records where they had that track and some others available for download. I have been meaning to check some of the others out but so far i've only got that track. He's on some social/political commentary type stuff which is the kind of stuff I like to listen to nowadays. Do you have his album? If you do how is it?

D.R.E.-Dogg

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2002, 10:51:47 AM »
I had Paid In Full befor Rakim hooked up with Dre but I didn't have his solo shit so I can't deny the fact that Dre is concentrating that much on Rakim made me (re)recognize him...

But I'm glad it did and I like his shit with and without Dre

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2002, 09:21:55 PM »
I have his singles right now, I don't have his full. The point I wanted to put across was the fact that to be the greatest in hip hop you have to get the respect of underground, just as Rakim and few others have. Rakim is the type of the MC you not gonna see on Mtv and BET or VH1 every fucken day, because mainstream is not about realness, it's all about the bling bling, studio gangstas all that crap we listen in radio stations every day, thus your NElly's,Ja rule's, tha whole Cashmoney crew,etc

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2002, 03:39:38 AM »
I have his singles right now, I don't have his full. The point I wanted to put across was the fact that to be the greatest in hip hop you have to get the respect of underground, just as Rakim and few others have. Rakim is the type of the MC you not gonna see on Mtv and BET or VH1 every fucken day, because mainstream is not about realness, it's all about the bling bling, studio gangstas all that crap we listen in radio stations every day, thus your NElly's,Ja rule's, tha whole Cashmoney crew,etc

I feel your point, I personally consider 2Pac the G.O.A.T., and his mainstream success has nothing to do with that, I personally couldn't care less about sales or mainstream appeal, obviously it's always nice to see your fav. artist selling but thats not even close to being most important thing here.

Oh, and that track, "Dance With The Devil"  :o Woah, thats some of the realest, graphic but distrubing shit i've ever heard.

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2002, 05:06:37 AM »
Then why motherfuckers start to have a problem when an illiest MC like Rakim works with the best producer ever? Rakim is not stupid he is not going chage his style. He is still gonna spit those dope rhymes but with different flow, because on dre's beat you cannot flow like you an underground.

I feel your point man.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2002, 07:39:24 AM »
Rakim is the type of the MC you not gonna see on Mtv and BET or VH1 every fucken day,  because mainstream is not about realness, it's all about the bling bling, studio gangstas all that crap we listen in radio stations every day, thus your NElly's,Ja rule's, tha whole Cashmoney crew,etc

Plus the fact he's only been in 4 videos in the past 10 years.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2002, 02:39:54 PM »
weather hes worked with dre or not...most hip hop heads know hes one of the if not the GOAT...PeAcE