Author Topic: Google Into Politics?  (Read 123 times)

ecrazy

Google Into Politics?
« on: January 17, 2005, 09:10:23 AM »
Go To Google
Type in the word "Failure"
Click "Im Feeling Lucky"
What Pops Up? LOL

mauzip

Re: Google Into Politics?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 09:17:03 AM »
Im Feeling Lucky is not in my search results nor anywhere else on the page. Actually, the word Lucky isn't there at all.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 09:18:11 AM »
I guess they don't like George W. Bush, Jimmy Carter and Michael Morre.

ecrazy

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 09:20:46 AM »
Im Feeling Lucky is not in my search results nor anywhere else on the page. Actually, the word Lucky isn't there at all.
Maybe its only on the US Google thing, when i mean click "IM feeling lucky, i mean click on that instead of the word "Search" on the frontpage, maybe that will change it

mauzip

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 09:56:44 AM »
i went to google.com, not .nl...

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 01:04:28 PM »
Some people learn to exploit google and make it return results similiar to this one....

Google as a search engine, shows no bias, it uses a mathematical algorithm to return results for your search.   One of the main variables Google uses to rank pages is the number of times another page linked to that page.... I'm not sure exactly how it works because google will not explain their search algorithm, but basically they use a system that is similiar to the one in place for academic literature.... the number of times an article has been cited determines its rank when you search.... so if you search an academic database for "global warming" it will search everything that relates to global warming, and rank pages depending upon how many times each article is cited by other articles... the article with the most citations gets listed first, and so on.

Google considers a link a citation... so you can google bomb a particluar word by creating massive amounts of links to a particular site and attaching that site to a keyword.... this is called google bombing, basically people create a ton of sites that associate the keyword 'failure' with GWB's biography...

you can do a search for 'google bombing' to learn more.