Author Topic: How do you feel about the war still  (Read 206 times)

Thirteen

Re: How do you feel about the war still
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 10:18:09 PM »
i got to give you props though man...for once a thread in tot didn't escalate into death threats and mother jokes....maybe next time

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 07:52:46 AM »
for everyone that thinks "oh we haven't been attacked so we must be doing good."  fyi just because we haven't been attacked doesn't mean we won't be again, and it certainly doesn't mean iraq is the reason why we aren't being attacked....

you can't seriously tell me that fighting a conventional war in iraq is more effective at fighting terrorism, than fighting a unconventional, special forces based, war in various countries. 

The former head of the CIA's Bin Laden Unit, since resigned, said on 60 minutes that its silly to think sinec we havent been attacked thats proof we can't be.  Richard Clarke wrote an article in the Atlantic Monthly saying the same thing.  He even outlined a few different scenarios for how we could be attacked to demonstrate how easy it would be.  Others have concurred with this opinion, and it doesn't take a whole lot of brain power to realize, if a terrorist wanted, they could suicide bomb NYC or any major city with ease and cause the desired result.

Thirteen

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 12:45:38 AM »
for everyone that thinks "oh we haven't been attacked so we must be doing good."  fyi just because we haven't been attacked doesn't mean we won't be again, and it certainly doesn't mean iraq is the reason why we aren't being attacked....

you can't seriously tell me that fighting a conventional war in iraq is more effective at fighting terrorism, than fighting a unconventional, special forces based, war in various countries. 

The former head of the CIA's Bin Laden Unit, since resigned, said on 60 minutes that its silly to think sinec we havent been attacked thats proof we can't be.  Richard Clarke wrote an article in the Atlantic Monthly saying the same thing.  He even outlined a few different scenarios for how we could be attacked to demonstrate how easy it would be.  Others have concurred with this opinion, and it doesn't take a whole lot of brain power to realize, if a terrorist wanted, they could suicide bomb NYC or any major city with ease and cause the desired result.

funny you use the word "could" in your post... terrorists could do a lot of things...

terrorists can nuke ny
terrorists can release deadly viruses
terrorists can kidnap and kill children
terrorists could open flower shops
terrorists could come to my house and cook me apple pie

now that we're done talking about could, let's talk about what the possibilities of them doing those things....

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 06:55:22 AM »
according to richard clarke, and michael schuer (the former head of the CIA's bin laden unit), the chances are fairly high.... you can't stop a suicider......

now while you may wish to believe your opinion is always facturally correct, the reality is, you opinion is meaningless incomparison to the opinions of experienced professionals.

its not that hard tho really to think.. if you had to rank the difficulty oin a scale from 1- 10 for the following examples where would they be:

1. suicide bombing a crowded area in any major city
2. buying an assault rifle and shooting up a crowd in any major city
3. simultaneously suicide bombing a few major cities at once.
4. simultaneously shooting up a few major cities at once.

the first two are amazingly easy, and would achieve their desired effect. 

Thirteen

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 12:22:31 PM »
according to richard clarke, and michael schuer (the former head of the CIA's bin laden unit), the chances are fairly high.... you can't stop a suicider......

now while you may wish to believe your opinion is always facturally correct, the reality is, you opinion is meaningless incomparison to the opinions of experienced professionals.

its not that hard tho really to think.. if you had to rank the difficulty oin a scale from 1- 10 for the following examples where would they be:

1. suicide bombing a crowded area in any major city
2. buying an assault rifle and shooting up a crowd in any major city
3. simultaneously suicide bombing a few major cities at once.
4. simultaneously shooting up a few major cities at once.

the first two are amazingly easy, and would achieve their desired effect. 

just because a guy is an experienced professional means little when you're dealing with other people...especially terrorists...i think it was experienced professionals that ignored threats before 9/11, i think it was experienced professionals that said there were wmds in iraq, i think it was experienced professionals  that sent US troops to iraq without proper body armor.....my opinion is just as likely to be true as their opinions

and secondly...those four things you listed can be done in iraq with

1. no fear on international backlash
2. the same effect

i'm sure terrorist master minds are planning something horrific as we speak but the fact is it's easier to go to iraq....kill a bunch of american soldiers and make america look stupid rather than going and planning on getting passports, funding, getting weapons, planning strategies, etc and carrying out these attacks on american soil just to make america look stupid... you forget, the most powerful terrorists are businessmen, as a business man yourself...which strategy seems more appropriate?