Author Topic: New Defari Interview, his thoughts on Xzibit...  (Read 829 times)

caTASHtrophe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
New Defari Interview, his thoughts on Xzibit...
« on: September 02, 2002, 06:07:59 AM »
from "Allhiphop.com"

A lot of times when I interview MC's, they're at the studio, surrounded with that entourage that wants to tell you about the next crew member's release. Less courteous MC's will have you get in touch with them at the mall, in the midst of a "Bling Bling" shopping spree. Defari is none of that. I caught up with the Cali-King at an Inglewood barbershop. How fitting, really. Defari is not the wrestling-esque impresario of a man getting paid. He's also not a curb-serving gangster that sets you aside to light Swishers n crack forties. Defari is a common man; a common man with an incredible skill, and deep appreciation for his breaks in the industry.

Check out Defari citing the pinnacle moments in his rise as an underground legend, as well a mainstream draft pick. Also, listen to his insights on crew-member Xzibit's beef with JD, as well as some revelations on Alchemist's path in Premo's footsteps.

AHH: Tell us about the new LP. Where's it dropping, when?, and some details?

D: The name of the album is Odds and Evens, that's the name of the album. It's coming out on High Times/Universal/Likwit University. My label and High Times, are sort of, jumping into bed together. It's really an exciting thing. I'm really, really excited. [As far as releasing it], we looking to the Fall. On my new album, every beat that I picked, I went into it with the full song in mind. It wasn't just a freestyle that was good...every song got concept to it. I went back to the drawing board, and I put really like 120%, and every ounce of blood, sweat, and tears, all I got into this record. These are the best songs I could make. That's the difference this time, you know. I got sixteen-seventeen bangers on there, that's just crazy. I wanna shout out the Alkaholik crew, King Tee, Phil Da Agony, Barbershop MC's, the Dilated Peoples, and [today I'm shoutin' out] Platinum Barbershop, in Inglewood!

AHH:You are one of the most versatile MC's in Hip Hop. Is it hard to work with Snoop and Tray Dee one day, turn around and work with Dilated or Saadat X the next?

D: Shit, not at all. That's a pleasure. That's not a difficult challenge at all. I serve any beat, the way that Defari's gonna serve it. What I like to do too, is...I just don't hear myself, I hear the beat. Then, I try to find where, and how I can find good on that beat. It's just different rhyming' a different way to every beat.

AHH: How do you feel about the Xzibit and Jermaine Dupri's beefin' on wax?

D: You know what's crazy is...it's like I really don't feel no way about it. Because, I have no allegiance to either one of those cats. So, I really don't feel no way about it. I just feel that it's kinda funny how the battle started with Dre and Jermaine Dupri. And then Jermaine Dupri said something about Eminem, but he didn't really talk about him, cuz he said, "You like a clown to us, you a cartoon character, you make us laugh", is what he said. Then, all of a sudden, you hear a song by Xzibit about [Jermaine]. But like, [Jermaine] never even mentioned Xzibit's name. So, it was just kinda... It's like...why you runnin' to the aid of Dre and Eminem over this little cat? Why don't you make a song about Suge? Why didn't he make a song about Death Row or somethin'? He gonna make a song about [Jermaine], and all he gonna talk about is how short dude is. I just thought it was weak, really.

AHH: "Rework The Angles" is one of the biggest underground singles of all-time. Your verse basically stole the show among some of Hip Hop's best. How does that feel? How did that early appearance help your career?

D: It's crazy that you brought that up. Because there's been so many different moments in space and time through my journey as an Alkaholik crew member. One of the most memorable is when we did that song. We didn't rehearse it. It was an AG show...with Ghetto Dwellas and Diamond D, and it was just crazy, we did the song live and I was so faded. I wasn't really peepin' what was goin' on around me on stage, but it was just a crazy moment for me in Hip Hop. It's those lil' type of things that I'll take to the grave with me as memories, but that are just invaluable. You gotta live it.

AHH: At the same time, your verse on Dr. Dre's "Some LA Niggaz" was classic. Describe the feeling of that experience, as well as the effects of such an achievement?

D: I didn't think it was gonna make the record, to be honest with you. Because, I had [done a lot of work with big artists that never was released]. When it made the record, I was ecstatic. I was just happy because the underground knew of Defari, but the ghetto didn't really know of me until two things: until Julio G broke, "Say It Twice", and then the Dr. Dre record. That's when the whole hood heard me really air it out. Really though, those are some of the most bonehead lyrics I've ever kicked. But, whatever it takes and however it gets there. It opened the door for people to go check my stuff, some higher quality stuff. Outta then ten million, I got somethin'!

AHH: As a graduate of Berkeley, do you think that a college degree helped you with your career. I don't mean financially, but rather, on a strictly mental level.

D: Definitely. Yeah. Because, it's something my grandmother says, "It's something nobody can ever take away from you." What it did, was...a college degree, going to college, that's a whole experience that broadened my horizons in terms of dealing with people. What it also did was, prepped me to be fluent in both worlds: in the street world which I grew up in, but also in the corporate world and in the business world. [It also showed me how] to holler at anybody, of any nationality, on whatever level. That right there is a big plus when you a Black man in the inner-city. It's a bug plus, because they already stereotype us on the way we look. They already think we gonna talk a certain way, and act a certain way. When really...I'm 360 degrees of man. I have infinite potential in any arena. I can holler at a professor on an academic level, and I go to the corner, and holler at local niggas hangin' outside the store, "yada yada." So, I think [that degree] gives me an advantage, man. I don't take none of this for granted.

AHH: You've been working with Alchemist for a longtime. As an co-artist and friend, how does it feel to see people call him the "next Premier"?

D: He's [DJ Premier's] protege. He started off as sorta a DJ Muggs protege, he is all "west west!", he is from out here. But then he went out there, [with his soulful ear], once he got his opportunity with Mobb Deep, he ran with it. More power to him. The kid is ill with the fucking beats, man! What's crazy is...[Alchemist], Evidence, and Joey Chavez are a triad of producers. They're like a crew in themselves. They're like the tightest of friends too. What's crazy is...Evidence is sort of the Alchemist on the West, and Alchemist is the Evidence on the East. If you ever get those three dudes together, they are a pyramid of producers in themselves. They are a production crew, like the Neptunes, like Ummah. All these cats are ill! This is an insider to their connection.

AHH: How do you feel about a lot of Los Angeles MC's throwing gang calls in rhymes?

D: Well, if they're Crips [or Bloods], I don't feel no way about it. If they real Crips, and they on the beat, Crippin', then that's they thing. They're the ones who gotta answer to it, you know? If you doin' that on wax, you better be what you talkin' about. Snoopy is a locc, Snoopie is a Crip. He came in the game as one. He never been nothin' but that. During his Death Row years, he wasn't Crippin' on wax, cuz you know, the whole company is Blood. Now that he's doing his own thing, and he's happy with what he's doing, that's what he is, so I can't fight him on that, nobody can. It's just...when you a marque doin' it. When you not no gangsta', when you never been on any set, you not even from LA, and you doin' it...that's when it's a problem. That's when you're just a certified buster. See, I represent the regular nigga from LA. I grew up goin' to the inner city schools. You did one of three things out here when you was young: you either played ball, you gangbanged, or you didn't come out of the house. I'm an athlete cat, so I played ball. I'm what the gangbangers would call a square. But, all the athlete cats knew the gangsters. I don't ever represent no perpetrator. If you doin' that on wax, you better be prepared for everything that come along with it. The streets is watchin'. They look at me, they say, "Defari just a regular cat tryin' to make it. He just a regular cat." 'Cuz everybody from out here does not bang.

Well there you have it. A real man's perspective on life, the underground, the mainstream, and his colleagues. Defari is one of the biggest talents in the West. He'll be appearing on forthcoming work from the Liks, Tash's new solo, Phil Da Agony's debut, as well as his role on that forthcoming Likwit Crew LP.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Re: New Defari Interview, his thoughts on Xzibit..
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2002, 06:19:38 AM »
now damn even Defari clowning Xzibit now
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2002, 06:24:53 AM »
Good read. Good to hear more news on "Odds & Evens". Shame him, X et al are having problems at the moment, I don't wanna see them stop making music together, that would be too sad  :(

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

caTASHtrophe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2002, 06:30:54 AM »
Defari is tight, i thought "Focus Daily" was mad under-rated but im definetly eager to hear his new album.

As for the Xzibit thing, i just hope ALL the likwit members sort there problems out coz together they all tight but if they stop working with Xzibit. That would be a big loss for Both parties.

Can't wait for new material from the likwit camp.

:)

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2002, 06:37:51 AM »
Good to hear some ish from Defari....
That was tight read homie...thanx 4 that.

It's a shame what's going down wit' Xzibit tho...."The likwit crew" is going through the same turmoil as "DpG" (Kurupt) by losing a pivitol part of their team.
Let's hope this work's out somehow.

Peace
Hatesrats 2oo2

Looking foward to all them "Likwit" releases..... :o

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2002, 07:53:09 AM »
Sounds like an interview with snoop .........

LIL GUY

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2002, 08:03:47 AM »
XZIBIT CAN HANG IT UP.  HIS NEW ALBUM IS WACK AS FUCK.  I JUST BOUGHT THE BOOTLEG AND THIS SHIT IS TRASH. RUMOR HAS IT THAT IT GOT 2 MICS IN THE SOURCE.

lbc213

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2002, 08:06:35 AM »
Sounds like an interview with snoop .........

Yeah, Felt the same way after reading the Xzibit part

EastsideLBC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2002, 08:20:35 AM »
Damn.....everybody clownin' on Xzibit now dayz....shit....X better come wit some heat to Tha Row and Suge.....his respect from his homiez and most westcoast fans in fallin' fast!

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2002, 08:30:58 AM »
wow thanks.... damn x is slowly bein left all alone, the fame got to his head

Don Seer

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2002, 08:56:24 AM »
^^^^^^

or maybe that big pile of broccoli there did!  :D

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2002, 09:38:02 AM »
^^^^^^

or maybe that big pile of broccoli there did!  :D

haha LMAO

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2002, 10:16:38 AM »
XZIBIT CAN HANG IT UP.  HIS NEW ALBUM IS WACK AS FUCK.  I JUST BOUGHT THE BOOTLEG AND THIS SHIT IS TRASH. RUMOR HAS IT THAT IT GOT 2 MICS IN THE SOURCE.

Hang it up?  Cause Defari and Snoop want him to make a record against a CEO who talks out his ass all the time and disses everyone who not down with Tha Row.  Suge is a joke and saw all of his artists leave him and now his label is a joke so he's needs to start contreversy to get shine.  It's good Dre, Em and X don't give him the attention he craves.  Big deal, Xzibit doesn't want to get involved in a off wax beef with a psycho like that 30 year old family man who still thinks gangbangin' is cool. Xzibit is being mature and Snoop being an idoit.  So what if X wants to dis JD on record, he sounded like he had fun doin' it and that beef would stay on wax.    

Can't comment on the bootleg, waiting for the real album and some time to soak it in to comment on it.
2 Mics?  That's highly unlikely.  (You're probably joking)

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2002, 11:17:40 AM »
now damn even Defari clowning Xzibit now

Its clear that Xzibit wanted some attention in light of his new album droppin.. IMO, he fucked up by goin about it this way.. I mean.. hes pretty much fucked over his homies like Kurupt did the DP.  Maybe they should do a song together now.. haha.. j/k.

Ax
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure..
~Theodore Roosevelt

js83

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2002, 01:45:37 PM »
wtf is goin on with defari and x?..i thought they were good friends?...shit its fucked up how xzibit is treatin his old friends...