Author Topic: Bush Approval Rating Signficantly Lower Than Any Other 2-Term President  (Read 126 times)

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I wonder why that could be?

Link:  http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=235

The survey also finds most Americans disagree with his 2nd Term agenda.

____

George W. Bush begins his second term with considerably less popular support than other recent incumbent presidents after their reelection. He also is proposing a second-term policy agenda that differs in several key respects from the public's. Health care, aid for the poor, and the growing budget deficit are all increasingly important public priorities, while limiting lawsuit awards, making recent tax cuts permanent and tax simplification rank near the bottom of the public's agenda.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Bush Approval Rating Signficantly Lower Than Any Other 2-Term President
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 04:16:20 AM »
You think he gives a fuck. Maybe Clinton did, but not Bush.

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 02:42:21 PM »
His approval rating is low, yet over half of the voters voted for him.

Jimmy Cash2120

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 02:58:26 PM »

thats what i don't get. every one says he's a war monger and the like, yet he still won a demicratic election. maybe the liberals are more vocal

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 05:37:37 PM »

thats what i don't get. every one says he's a war monger and the like, yet he still won a demicratic election. maybe the liberals are more vocal

I have my opinion on this, which I agree is open to criticism, but basically approval ratings don't change over night.   It's a slow process to take a nation from loving you to disliking you.  That is part of the reason why Bush won.  His approval ratings have been steadily trending downward from an alltime high around 90%, but there simply wasn't enough time to convince the majority that he was bad.  But if you look about it a different way you realize, in just 2 years almost 40% of the country went from supporting Bush to disliking him.   

My opinion is simply there wasn't a whole lot of time between 9-11 and the election for his numbers to drop low enough for him to lose.  But starting two years ago, Bush loses an avg. of .35 pts off his approval rating each week or more than 1% pt a month.  Because of 9-11 almost everyone in the country gave irrational support to Bush, but slowly people are waking up and ditching their irrational attachment to him.  In another month Bush supporters will be in the minority, and once there is a majority opinion, public opinion changes even faster.  People dont like being in the minority.  If you have a minority opinion you are constantly criticizing yourself, wondering why everyone else thinks differently than you do.  So yeah he won the election, but no one ever argued democracy garantees the optimal choice.  Democracy is only supposed to garantee that you do have a choice. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 05:39:37 PM by Ant »

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 05:44:48 PM »
^ or maybe alot of people did disapprove Bush, but voted for him anyways because they didnt want to vote for kerry.

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 06:00:12 PM »
^ or maybe alot of people did disapprove Bush, but voted for him anyways because they didnt want to vote for kerry.

that is true also. 

Jimmy Cash2120

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 06:05:11 AM »
If you have a minority opinion you are constantly criticizing yourself, wondering why everyone else thinks differently than you do.

::)