Author Topic: Just something interesting I heard...  (Read 615 times)

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Just something interesting I heard...
« on: January 27, 2005, 11:03:39 PM »
Today I listened to a former BlackPanther who converted to Islam speak, and he made some very interesting points. He was basically talking about how he grew up in the 60s with all the civil rights movements and the whole "black power" thing, and how he was influenced by people like Malcolm X as a kid in high school. Then he went to college and was politically active, working to "fight the corrupt system" and all that. Him and his friends then tried to think of what "all black people should work on", and he came to the conclusion that it was moral character. He thought that most black people needed to change their moral character. That along with the "mood" of the times and some other factors then led him to Islam, which he felt was a guide to moral character. Alright, just so you don't feel like I'm trying to bust a Infinite, lemme get to the point...

Ok, that was just a little background, but here is the interesting point that was brought up:

My friend asked him "How did Islam change your view on being revolutionary?"

His answer: "Before I blamed everything on the white man. I was like every other person, blaming the white man, and felt proud of being rebellious. I thought that was the best way to stand up to the system, to rebel. After studying Islam I realized something; if I rebel against them, then I'm placing them above me, I'm considering them the norm, I'm putting them before me. My view changed. If I submit to God, and put God before anything else, then they're the ones rebelling against me. They don't want me praising Allah. You might not see what I mean, but if you live where I live, see what I see, go through what I go through, then you will realize that they are rebelling against us. BUT, they're not the ones keeping us down. They're just providing us with the things necessary to keep ourselves down. Drugs are being brought into our communities, and we decide to abuse ourselves. It has to be in our power to refrain from the things that will keep us down. They're the rebels fighting us, and we have to be stronger."

I thought this was interesting and real deep talk. Think about it...

Nima - Dubcnn.com

Re: Just something interesting I heard...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 03:44:45 AM »
yo stop ruinin threads dissin each other i actually thought the article was interesting. thanks for posting.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 06:13:59 AM »
Today I listened to a former BlackPanther who converted to Islam speak, and he made some very interesting points. He was basically talking about how he grew up in the 60s with all the civil rights movements and the whole "black power" thing, and how he was influenced by people like Malcolm X as a kid in high school. Then he went to college and was politically active, working to "fight the corrupt system" and all that. Him and his friends then tried to think of what "all black people should work on", and he came to the conclusion that it was moral character. He thought that most black people needed to change their moral character. That along with the "mood" of the times and some other factors then led him to Islam, which he felt was a guide to moral character. Alright, just so you don't feel like I'm trying to bust a Infinite, lemme get to the point...

Ok, that was just a little background, but here is the interesting point that was brought up:

His answer: "Before I blamed everything on the white man. I was like every other person, blaming the white man, and felt proud of being rebellious. I thought that was the best way to stand up to the system, to rebel. After studying Islam I realized something; if I rebel against them, then I'm placing them above me, I'm considering them the norm, I'm putting them before me. My view changed. If I submit to God, and put God before anything else, then they're the ones rebelling against me. They don't want me praising Allah. You might not see what I mean, but if you live where I live, see what I see, go through what I go through, then you will realize that they are rebelling against us. BUT, they're not the ones keeping us down. They're just providing us with the things necessary to keep ourselves down. Drugs are being brought into our communities, and we decide to abuse ourselves. It has to be in our power to refrain from the things that will keep us down. They're the rebels fighting us, and we have to be stronger."

I thought this was interesting and real deep talk. Think about it...

Whenever somebody tries to kick something real and drop knowledge on the forum, there's always going to be somebody who feels jealous and left out, so they want to interfere by being negetive.  They really want to be a part of it, but they lack the ability to contribute something posotive, so they use the only tool available to them, which is often negativity.

On the other side of the coin, arrogantly making fun of somebody by saying they work at Panda Express is not right either, people do what they have to do to get by.  If your able to carry a good job with enough pay to provide sustanace for you and your family, then it is only a blessing from Allah, and we should not become arrogant because of this.  And if someone doesn't have a good job, and they  do not have enough money to sustain their family, then we should help them and have sympathy for them.     

Let's not mess up what was a good thread.  What is the name of this brother?

I'll compare it to my own situation.  I was in highschool in the late 90's and teenagers also rebelled against so-called community leaders who sometimes were nothing more than drunks and pervertes.  And today more than ever, the religious leaders in the Christian Church are being exposed as condoners and justifiers of imperialism and human exploitation abroad.  So where I grew up, naturally we rebelled, but most young people were content just to lay up in their pads, smoking pot, drinking beer, and listening to hip-hop in a perpetual orgy of esoteric bliss.  The defenders of the status quo could ask for nothing more than this, for the dissafected youth to draw into safe, passive, apolitical little nonparticipatory islands. 

The problem with that is, today I'm 22, and I'm starting to see the kids I grew up with making the same mistakes they hated their parents for.  I realized early on that I had to find an alternative to this cycle.  In Islam I found that alternative.  Because like the Muslim in the origional post said, Islam makes you proactive instead of reactionary.  You start submitting to the will of Allah and others then start reacting to you.  All praise to Allah.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 06:16:17 AM by Thul Hijjah 1425 A.H. »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 12:25:38 PM »

This point of view is very interesting. He came at it from a different angle. I like I like.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 12:41:32 PM »

the way i see it.. any time someone takies a step towards embracing positive action to try improve their , be it religiously guided or whatever.. its a beautiful thing.. had they embraced christianity or hinduism it'd still be a great achievement

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 01:38:36 PM »

the way i see it.. any time someone takies a step towards embracing positive action to try improve their , be it religiously guided or whatever.. its a beautiful thing.. had they embraced christianity or hinduism it'd still be a great achievement

Yeah, that's why I wasn't trying to make this thread about Islam, but rather about how he changed himself and his views. He still had the same beliefs, but just looked at them from a different angle like Sikotic said.

And sorry y'all  but that fool Kain just had to ruin the thread with his retarded ass.

K, I'ma go ahead and delete all those posts of mine, and if someone could delete his.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 01:46:52 PM by *Jamal* »

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 01:46:13 PM »
Also, he added how "back in the days our heros were people like Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali, etc... and just like they brought drugs into our communities, they also tried to associate us with a negative lifestyle, turning the poor black man into a pimp or a hustler, and today there are the types of people that youngsters look up to. Mainstream rap music is a perfect example, listen to what they say, what they preach, what they talk about, and look at the response, people want to be like THAT. Again, they saw our weakness, our moral character, and they attacked it. Just look at what they did to those who stood up, the revolutionaries who took action, they always tried to dig up some dirt on their personal lives, attacking their moral character. I had friends who had illegal drugs placed on them, and things of that sort. With Islam, I found a way to 'clean up' my moral character, and they didn't have shit on me."

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 01:56:26 PM »
What is the name of this brother?

Amir Abdul Malik. He's with some organization in the Bay. I asked them what they do, and he said "we help the community, the Muslim community as well as the community as a whole, and we defend Muslims against those who wrongfully attack the religion, like the media for example, or political, religious leaders, etc."

I was like "how do you go about this defending?" and he said that "Sometimes we're able to go talk to them directly and question their motives, the reason why they said what they said, the reason why they do what they do, etc, but other times we don't have the chance to have this direct effect, so then we go to plan B, which is speak out against it"

Matrix Heart

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 03:03:53 PM »
You must have a weak mind if you need religion to improve your moral character.

Born again drunks/drug addicts.

Suga Foot

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 03:43:28 PM »

This point of view is very interesting. He came at it from a different angle. I like I like.

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 04:07:14 PM »

You can't read, can you? He didn't need to improve his moral character, he said that black people in general needed to work on their moral character. He just said that he found Islam to connect with his ideals. Go read some Curious George books.

Matrix Heart

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 04:13:13 PM »

That along with the "mood" of the times and some other factors then led him to Islam, which he felt was a guide to moral character.

Ok whatever you say  ;)

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 04:49:42 PM »
Yes, a guide to moral character.... how is that implying that he was a drunk/drug addict in need of some cleaning up?

Matrix Heart

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 05:01:53 PM »
Yes, a guide to moral character.... how is that implying that he was a drunk/drug addict in need of some cleaning up?

That was a general comment...I was thinking about Bush when I added that part ;D born again christians.

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 06:47:26 PM »
Yea ok, refrain from ruining my threads, you tool.