Author Topic: DJ Quik Interview In L.A. Local News Paper  (Read 744 times)

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
DJ Quik Interview In L.A. Local News Paper
« on: August 27, 2002, 05:52:35 AM »
Whats up my Dub CC brothaz.  I just got back from L.A. and I got this free news letter with an interview of DJ Quik in it.  Its really dope and focus's on his new artistic freedom.  Check em out.. hope yall dig.. Ive also included a couple of pics from my Vacation.. My fuckin ENGINE BLEW UP ON THE WAY DOWN TO LA... uuuggggggggggggg   SOOO FUCKIN PISSED.  But I can laugh it off now that Im getting it replaced and get to fly home next weekend to pick my car up.  I ran out of oil and threw a FUCKIN Connecting Rod.  Ouch!  Pz.

The weekend ended dope with me and my little girl goin to Playa Del Rey and Venice Beach on Sunday.  That day made up for everything.  IMO, shes worth a fuckin Blown engine.
Pz.

Axle Fohley

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure..
~Theodore Roosevelt

=[Euthanasia]=

Re: DJ Quik Interview In L.A. Local News Paper
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2002, 06:40:01 AM »
Hey, thanx for posting that up man, good read (well, what I could see of it  ;D). Good to hear you had a good time, you look like you had a good time in the pic with your little girl anyways, all smiles  :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Woodrow

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2002, 06:48:49 AM »
Thanks a lot for posting it up! GREAT read...

budsmokeronly

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2002, 07:00:02 AM »
thanks for posting that.  Man I blew my engine once and I don't know if I have ever been more pissed off in my life, I was mad enough to kill someone it felt like.  Good luck on getting the new engine, I bet you won't ever forget to check your oil again.

S.G.V.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2002, 07:25:11 AM »
dont u live in l.a.?...i thought u did

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2002, 09:18:20 AM »
dont u live in l.a.?...i thought u did

I am from L.A. but I moved to Seattle for work about 2 years ago.

Ax
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure..
~Theodore Roosevelt

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2002, 09:22:18 AM »
Nice read, thanx for the info

Woodrow

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2002, 09:40:16 AM »
Here it is in text...

Article from Rolling out Newspaper

“I’m free to be whoever I want to be, whenever I want to be, creatively, personally and
Musically. It’s all the same now and I’m at the helm of it all. I’ve taken control of my destiny.”

The Starting point
Yeah, it’s true. For eleven years it’s been a steady source of motivation for “America’s most complete Artist” As he reminisces on what seemed to be a dim situation at the time. D.J. Quik releases, in retrospect, at how much of a fuel starter it was the day his spot was pillage and rummaged through with senseless direction. “The idiots didn’t steal the records.” He says sardonically. “If they really wanted to hurt me, they would’ve stole my records. That equipment is replaceable. Some of those records I’d been shopping for all of my life, those aren’t replaceable…’
     Much has changed since 1991, and in the same breath, much has stayed the same. While Quik remains an icon and a major factor in the game, he is hardly recognized for his unbelievable accomplishments, as should be the scenario. His new label Euphonic, which he simplifies in ebonic descriptive terms as “ear candy.” Is obviously coated in the melodic tendencies that his devout fans have come to appreciate.  Ad in his evolution as a man and artist Quik allows that he has come to appreciate the independence that comes with age and understanding. Citing Prince (The artist formerly known as a symbol) as a source of inspiration, he deems himself in a euphoric state, leaving his indispensable skill not for a larger entity, but for his damn self.
     “I fight to protect my creative process more than I did back then” he says, referencing his momentary hiatus from the scene. “I’m free to be whoever I want to be, whenever I want to be, creatively, personally and musically. It’s all the same now and I’m at the helm of it all. I’ve taken control of my destiny.”

The Straightaway
Even as his voice was in the distance during the more trying times, Quik’s Impact was as strong as ever with production efforts that kept himself afloat, and more importantly served as a pleasant reminder of his capacity to unearth greatness from lifeless circumstances. The struggles that landed him in a seesaw battle with Artista, and then Death Row are the ones that Quik grew from. By his own standards, he now assumes complete responsibility of letting the rhythm take you all day and all night long.
     As has been his custom on previous albums, “Quik’s groove” (Which resets at 6) continually exemplifies the depths of his talent and production prowess. He remits though, that while he anticipates the day when he puts the mic down to concentrate solely on music, at this point and time, he still has something to say. “I think that if I did do a musical album, I’d be fighting between making it a ‘groove oriented’ album and a ‘jazz oriented’ album” he explains concisely. “Not to step on jazz, but jazz is for an older audience… I wasn’t into the Crusaders type jazz, because it was too soft for me, but that was for my mama’s [generation] I’m not ready to make an album for my mama yet.”
     What Quik is ready to make is hits, as he has made incessantly over his stellar career. In reality, he has proven to be as contagious as the tracks that disrupt the sometimes biased airwaves. Undeniable as ever though, Quik is adept at making a case for himself and industry novices alike.
     Since joining forces with Dr. Dre years ago, the two have combined to make several collaborations worth mentioning. The one that will inevitably conjure the most memory though is ironically the most recent- “Addictive.” With its tantalizing tribal drum pattern and infectious Indian styled vocals echoing Truth Hurts contagious chorus, its success is no accident. Quik goes on to explain that as he continues to refine and build his own process, Dre’s efficiency may have indeed helped dictate things for him in the future, as evolution persist. “The beat was already done and arranged.” He reveals before adding “and Dre produced the vocals around it.”
     As they have proved a formidable duo, Quik measures that an album featuring himself and the Aftermath Impresario is a matter of urgency and appeal, ruling it out by no means at all. Keeping the public in mind, he forwards that their (the people) desire would undoubtedly have to meet theirs. (Quik and Dre). “If everybody wanted it and couldn’t live without it, I’d definitely put al my energy into it.” He says.
     Forces come and forces go, but DJ Quik is obviously one that is here to stay. Like a great athlete who finds that imperial (dunno If this is the right word) standing over his peers on the court where he just can’t miss, artists find their zone as well. Unsurprisingly, Quik is typically in the studio. As he recalls the joyous range of emotions that filled it when he and E-40 dropped a dime with Big Syke on Skye’s debut solo effort, Big Syke Daddy (2001), it’s obvious that passion has its perks. “When it’s a part atmosphere and everybody’s energy is right, it makes the work go by so fast that you don’t trip on it and it’s not work” he explains. “It’s not begrudging [stressful], and that’s when you don’t want it to end.”
     Some people have photographic memories that allow them to remember facts, sequences, and events tenfold. Others behold uncanny instincts that allow them the capacity to move and perform with more precision that the next individual. Rappers, producers, and the like, as Quik describes, have a “Spider Sense” that would make peter parker cringer. His gift of course is beset in sound and the ability to manipulate it as it seeps in. “I hear it in my head first, and if I start grovvin’ out loud and start bouncin’ to something that in my head, I’m one of the lucky people who can go and translate it… the same way I’m hearing it in my head” he explains clearly. “And it usually comes out the way I'm hearing it.”

The Turn
DJ Quik’s sense of Balance has always been part of his musical genius whether he like it or not. It’s not that he purposefully went bad on the entire city of Denver; their police force just mistreated him. So He, like all artist souls he responded defiantly and convincingly. In the next breath he candidly detests the idea of going back to Tha Row, even if his life depended in it, but offers, “I respect Suge a whole lots. He taught me a whole lot, but at the same time I couldn’t go back that way.”
     With Rhythm-al-ism, Quik afforded himself the luxury of bonding with the women he had torment for so long, and in so doing allowed the listened to explore a more intimate, friendly David Blake. He all but called a truce with long time nemeses MC Eith, inviting him to a competitive duel minus the barb to effectively squash the beef. On the same track, “You’s a Gangxta” he dealt with morbid realities of gang affiliation, fending off Piru peer pressure and adamantly disclosing that he is a ‘Ganxta’ no more.
     With his last project, he exercised the Options that came along with mental clarity, elevating his game to levels beyond comprehension. And so as DJ Quik embark on yet another journey, he finds that dealing with life’s quarrels have some turned inside out. The death of his young protégé, Mausberg in 2002 leveled him in ways unimaginable, and tragic as it was, he now realizes that allowing death to torment his life is not the way Maus would want it. “It actually taught me how to not show emotion,” he says honestly. “It crushed me… It hurt so bad to where it didn’t hurt.”

The Finish line
     While moving forward has been an arduous process, culminated by fearless motorcycle episodes and reckless alcohol consumption, Quik has done it. He’s learned from his mistakes and became a better man and more cerebral artist because of it. He remembers how it all started… “Tonight’s the night…” (Quik is the name 1991) and reveals that while most of it was a cooked up fairy tale, the vision that has come around full circle. “I really didn’t know that tonight was going to be that big of a record… because I was just rappin’ about what we were doing at the time,” he says, acknowledging a knock at the door. “I was rapping about how I wish it could be and that record ended up being just how I wished it could be. We talked it into fruition.” And so they did.
     From a small time hustler to America’s Most Complete Artist, he remains as polished as a fresh pair of Stacey Adams. As He’s emerged capo to Dre’s don, DJ Quik still manages to enjoy the fruits of his labor.
     Equipped with a roster that he calls “the best of the east coast mixed with the best of the west coast,” Under tha Influence uniquely blends the talents that include Pharaoh Monarch, Talib Kweli, Shaheim the Kid, Hi-C, Sugar Free, AMG, El Debarge and Wanya Morris (Boyz II Men) among others. Everyone talks about changing the game, but Quik has done it and will continue to for as long as he desires.
     And that’s a rap.

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2002, 09:50:27 AM »
Woooo.. thats tight.  I have HUGE scans if you need them Engelwood.  I sized em down to 475 pixals for WCC but the original scans are like 1300.  If you need them for your site, just holla.  Pz.

Ax
~Theodore Roosevelt

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2002, 09:52:05 AM »
dope interview, man

you gotta luv Quik,
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Woodrow

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2002, 09:53:23 AM »
Woooo.. thats tight.  I have HUGE scans if you need them Engelwood.  I sized em down to 475 pixals for WCC but the original scans are like 1300.  If you need them for your site, just holla.  Pz.

Ax

That would be very very cool

Im on MSN right about now...

Mista_CaNE

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2002, 12:10:08 PM »
axle my dog! lol im a sick bastard cuz im laughin my ass off at u in disgust over the car bein towed lmao. but the pic of u n the princess is cute as hell. get at ya boy!
IN STORES NOW!!!!!!!!
Mista Cane - In My Life - Pervelous P Ent. / KOCH
Featuring: The Game (3 songs), Planet Asia, Rasco, Mike Marshall, Selau, Prohoezak, Sean-T and more.
Production: Davey D Cohn, Sean-T, One Drop Scott

order @ amazon.com

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2002, 12:21:36 PM »

Word up..Dj QUik will be in the 805 tommorow siniging autographs n' meeting wit' peep's at "Salzer's records" in Ventura Cali...
come check this shitt out....I belive he will be there at 3:00 pm so don't be late.

Get your cd personalised by the westcoast legend himself.....dont' sleep

Peace
Hatesrats 2oo2

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2002, 04:03:13 PM »
yea.. Quik is so dope for taking control over his career and his music.

That just proves that hes a real musician.  A tru talent.

Be sure and check my homie E-Dubbs site for the hottest news of Quik.  Im eager to check that B-Walk on his DVD.  woo.. sounds pretty hot.

http://www.dj-quik.net

Ax

Oh yea..

OVERSEER!!!!  Where you at?  Get in on this topic dogg.. Im knowin how much you love Quik.  Give us a little feedback dogg.. out.
~Theodore Roosevelt

TobyTizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2002, 06:22:50 PM »
Good to hear u had fun Ax...atleast some fathers care for there kids...