Author Topic: Republicans trying to keep Clinton out of UN  (Read 963 times)

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Republicans trying to keep Clinton out of UN
« on: February 01, 2005, 04:11:12 PM »
CHARLOTTE, N.C - They may both be out of office, but Bill Clinton (news - web sites) remains the ultimate boogeyman for former Sen. Jesse Helms.

In a fund-raising a letter for his senatorial library, Helms invokes the specter of the former president leading the United Nations (news - web sites) after Kofi Annan (news - web sites) retires next year.

"I'm sure you might agree that putting a left-wing, undisciplined and ethically challenged former President of the United States into a position of such power would be a tragic mistake," wrote the 83-year-old Republican, who left office in 2003 after five terms.

The Associated Press obtained a copy of the letter Tuesday. It contains a petition asking President Bush (news - web sites) to "rebuke all efforts by Hillary Clinton (news - web sites), John Kerry (news - web sites), and every other liberal in Congress to push for Bill Clinton to become Secretary-General of the United Nations."

A spokesman for Clinton did not respond to a call seeking comment. Clinton has said nothing publicly about wanting to lead the U.N.

The Jesse Helms Center in Wingate, 30 miles southeast of Charlotte, has a lecture series that has attracted speakers such as Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites) and former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. Its Web site describes it as a "nonpartisan organization" that promotes the principles espoused by Helms.

Annan appointed Clinton Tuesday to be a U.N. special envoy for tsunami reconstruction and to help resolve rebel conflicts in two of the hardest hit countries, Indonesia and Sri Lanka. The appointment will begin next month.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's your opinion on this? This thread is not designed for the many Rampants and Machiavellis.... so logical, analytic answers only

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: Republicans trying to keep Clinton out of UN
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 04:11:48 PM »
bill rocks my socks

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 04:13:11 PM »
bill rocks my socks

Yea so does your mom.

Woodrow

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 04:13:15 PM »
Go for it.

I don't see why repubs are getting angry. If anything this would give us more weight in the UN.

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 04:19:31 PM »
Go for it.

I don't see why repubs are getting angry. If anything this would give us more weight in the UN.

Cool. Do you happen to know how one becomes Secretary-General? What I mean to ask is whether there is a certain % of votes within the UN members required?

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 04:21:52 PM »
I thought bill clinton was a good president, and i dont see the harm in him doing this.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 04:27:27 PM »
^ overated

Matrix Heart

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 05:03:07 PM »
The United Nations Secretary-General is the head of the Secretariat, one of the principal organs of the United Nations. According to the United Nations Charter, the Secretary-General is appointed by the General Assembly on the recommendation of the Security Council.

The current Secretary-General is Kofi Annan. His appointment began on January 1, 1997, and his second term began on January 1, 2002.

The Secretary-General is appointed to a five year term. UN Secretaries-General normally spend two terms in office; however, sometimes, they will serve only one. The position of UN Secretary-General is supposed to rotate by geographic region, but that rule is often broken; since Mr Boutros-Ghali served only one term, a successor that was also from Africa was chosen, Kofi Annan, and after Mr Annan had finished his first term, the member states were so impressed with Annan's performance that he was appointed for a second term despite the fact that the next Secretary-General should have been from Asia. There has not yet been a Secretary-General from North America or Oceania.

Rumours have recently surfaced that former U.S. President Bill Clinton and current Chilean President Ricardo Lagos have set their sights on becoming Secretary-General. However, it is generally considered to be Asia's turn to fill the post. No announcement has been made, but behind the scenes China is already pushing the candidacy of Thai Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai, who also seems to have U.S. support. If Clinton does emerge as a candidate, however, China would most likely shift its support.

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 05:29:03 PM »
Interesting

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 05:23:10 AM »
i like bill clinton but i would worry about having an ex american president as head of the UN when america already has the most power over the UN, it would also make it easier for america to make changes to UN (as changes to the UN have to be approved by congress), and they may find it more difficult to win over support from certain countries over issues such as sudan. i would also be concerned over having a chineese candidate.

I believe it should be an asian candidate next though

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Matrix Heart

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 06:16:04 AM »
i like bill clinton but i would worry about having an ex american president as head of the UN when america already has the most power over the UN, it would also make it easier for america to make changes to UN (as changes to the UN have to be approved by congress), and they may find it more difficult to win over support from certain countries over issues such as sudan. i would also be concerned over having a chineese candidate.

I don't think the Secretary General has that much authority, if he did he wouldn't be black for 2 terms :D 

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 10:02:12 AM »
The UN is not America! its an international organisation skin colour has nothing to do with it. even if the secretary general doesn't have much power (how much of that is true i don't know?) he has alot of influence. the bush administration has made anti american sentiment increase hugely since coming to power do you think those people will respect bill clinton or will they see america having more power over the UN than before. i've always spoken very highly of bill clinton but the role isn't suited to him IMO

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

OmNIsCiUs

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I give up.There aren't any quotes that'll fit here
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 04:50:21 PM »
I'm gonna have to go with Don Rizzle on this one.. He was a good president but things being what they are in the world, its probably not the best time for him. If world sentiment changed over the next few years, then i'd be in favour
."".    ."",
     |  |   /  /
     |  |  /  /
     |  | /  /
     |  |/  ;-._
     }  ` _/  / ;
     |  /` ) /  /
     | /  /_/\_/\
     |/  /      |
     (  ' \ '-  |
      \    `.  /
       |      |
       |      |

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 04:52:55 PM »
The UN is not America! its an international organisation skin colour has nothing to do with it. even if the secretary general doesn't have much power (how much of that is true i don't know?) he has alot of influence. the bush administration has made anti american sentiment increase hugely since coming to power do you think those people will respect bill clinton or will they see america having more power over the UN than before. i've always spoken very highly of bill clinton but the role isn't suited to him IMO

I don't think people associate Bill Clinton with the Bush Version of America. 

Bomb-A®

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 11:12:34 PM »
Go for it.

the US shits on the UN....they dont need clinton to give them weight

peace