Author Topic: Marine general: It's 'fun to shoot people'  (Read 721 times)

Matrix Heart

Marine general: It's 'fun to shoot people'
« on: February 03, 2005, 04:27:52 PM »

Marine general: It's 'fun to shoot people'
Commandant gives counsel, acknowledges wrong word choice

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A three-star Marine general who said it was "fun to shoot some people" should have chosen his words more carefully, the Marine Corps commandant said Thursday.

Lt. Gen. James Mattis, who commanded Marine expeditions in Afghanistan and Iraq, made the comments Tuesday during a panel discussion in San Diego, California.

"Actually it's quite fun to fight them, you know. It's a hell of a hoot," Mattis said, prompting laughter from some military members in the audience. "It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right up there with you. I like brawling.

"You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil," Mattis said. "You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Mattis' press office has not yet responded to a request to answer questions about his comments.

However, the Marine commandant, Gen. Michael Hagee, defended Mattis, calling him "one of this country's bravest and most experienced military leaders."

"While I understand that some people may take issue with the comments made by him, I also know he intended to reflect the unfortunate and harsh realities of war," he said in a written statement. "Lt. Gen. Mattis often speaks with a great deal of candor."

Hagee said he had counseled Mattis regarding the remarks and that Mattis "agrees he should have chosen his words more carefully."

"Throughout our history, Marines have given their lives in the defense of this nation and human rights around the globe," Hagee's statement read. "When necessary, this commitment helps to provide us the fortitude to take the lives of those who oppress others or threaten this nation's security. This is not something we relish, yet we accept it as a reality in our profession of arms."

"Lt. Gen. Mattis is a superb leader and one of the Corps' most courageous and experienced warriors," Hagee wrote. "I remain confident that he will continue to serve this nation with dedication and distinction."

Added Marine Gen. Peter Pace, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, "The last three times that that general has been in combat, when he was leading Marines in Afghanistan and the two times that he led his division in Iraq, his actions and those of his troops clearly show that he understands the value of proper leadership and the value of human life."

Pace spoke Thursday during a Pentagon briefing. He declined to comment directly on Mattis' comments.

Early in his career, Mattis served as a rifle and weapons platoon commander as a lieutenant and later a captain. He also commanded assault battalions in Operation Desert Storm and Desert Shield. He was the commander of the 1st Marine Division for the initial attack on Iraq.

San Diego television station KNSD, which calls itself NBC 7/39, captured Mattis' Tuesday comments on video and interviewed a retired military man afterward who said the general's remarks were "flippant."

"I was a little surprised," said retired Vice Adm. Edward H. Martin. "I don't think any of us who have ever fought in wars liked to kill anybody."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 04:33:44 PM by Max Powers »

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: Marine general: It's 'fun to shoot people'
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 04:33:53 PM »
good post.. fuckin fuck.. sad thing is. id say bout 30% if not more of the army is like that

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 04:38:34 PM »
that's straight up cynicism, you can't 'carefully choose the right words' to deliver this message, if the gist of it is that it's fun to shoot people, it's wrong and that's that...also, it's not a point that they'd been slapping around their women (which is fucking wrong as well of course), cause that way you use your humanitarian sympathy as an excuse to find fun in killing, which is preposterous....well, whatever...won't shit happen to him

Thirteen

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 04:45:03 PM »
lol

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 04:56:26 PM »
He's probably Christian.

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 04:57:23 PM »
lol

Thirteen

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 04:58:19 PM »
He's probably Christian.

well if he was muslim he would have said it's fun to kill all non-muslim people  ;D

Woodrow

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 04:59:29 PM »
You want our soldiers to pick flowers and sing songs?

Their job is to kill. It's refreshing to see somebody who enjoys his job. I wonder how much action this guy has seen as a general? I'm pretty sure these comments were made to motivate the troops if anything.

This speech by Patton comes to mind:

"Be seated.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. Men, all this stuff youve heard about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans traditionally love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big league ball player, the toughest boxer. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I wouldnt give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. Thats why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war. Because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

Now, an Army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post dont know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating.

We have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit and the best men in the world. You know, by God I actually pity those poor bastards were going up against. By God, I do. Were not just going to shoot the bastards, were going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. Were going to murder those lousy Hun bastards by the bushel.

Now, some of you boys, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll chicken out under fire. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you will all do your duty. The Nazis are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Shoot them in the belly. When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do.

Now theres another thing I want you to remember. I dont want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. Were not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and were not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass. We're going to kick the h**l out of him all the time and we're gonna go through him like crap through a goose.

Theres one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home. And you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when youre sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what did you do in the great World War II, you wont have to say, "Well, I shoveled shiat in Louisiana."

Alright now, you sons-of-biatches, you know how I feel. Oh, and I will be proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle anytime, anywhere.

Thats all"

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 05:02:31 PM »
i dont have a problem with soldiers killing, because thye have to, i got a problem with soldiers killing for fun

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 05:26:46 PM »
i dont have a problem with soldiers killing, because thye have to, i got a problem with soldiers killing for fun
wats rong wit kill\in someone for a job and havin fun while u do it.........  one thing i hate is going to a job that u dont enjoy

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 05:27:46 PM »
You want our soldiers to pick flowers and sing songs?

Their job is to kill. It's refreshing to see somebody who enjoys his job. I wonder how much action this guy has seen as a general? I'm pretty sure these comments were made to motivate the troops if anything.

This speech by Patton comes to mind:

"Be seated.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. Men, all this stuff youve heard about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans traditionally love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big league ball player, the toughest boxer. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I wouldnt give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. Thats why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war. Because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

Now, an Army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post dont know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating.

We have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit and the best men in the world. You know, by God I actually pity those poor bastards were going up against. By God, I do. Were not just going to shoot the bastards, were going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. Were going to murder those lousy Hun bastards by the bushel.

Now, some of you boys, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll chicken out under fire. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you will all do your duty. The Nazis are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Shoot them in the belly. When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do.

Now theres another thing I want you to remember. I dont want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. Were not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and were not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass. We're going to kick the h**l out of him all the time and we're gonna go through him like crap through a goose.

Theres one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home. And you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when youre sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what did you do in the great World War II, you wont have to say, "Well, I shoveled shiat in Louisiana."

Alright now, you sons-of-biatches, you know how I feel. Oh, and I will be proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle anytime, anywhere.

Thats all"

That response was kind of predictable, but you missed the point. it wasn't about the necessity of killing and the motivation to do so for the patriotic cause of defending of your country or heroically defeating threats to freedom, democracy or whatever. It was about the statement that killing is fun, which received no justification from your post...motivating is not an excuse. Patton's speech is motivation, but it at no point implies killing is fun

on a side note, america did lose a war

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 05:28:59 PM »
wats rong wit kill\in someone for a job and havin fun while u do it......... one thing i hate is going to a job that u dont enjoy
well if your job is taking others lives..

Thirteen

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 05:50:29 PM »
on a side note, america did lose a war

which war?

Matrix Heart

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 06:03:53 PM »

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 06:13:50 PM »