Author Topic: SPEED Channel Hooks Up With Unique Autosports – “Unique Whips"  (Read 80 times)

TuKer Says: Angeles Records is the truth!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
SPEED Channel has announced a new 60-minute unscripted series, Unique Whips, scheduled to debut in February 2005 that will give viewers a look inside the Unique Autosports world of celebrity car customizing. Shot on-location at the Long Island shop of “customizer to the stars” Will Castro, Unique Whips will be all about taking the luxury cars of today’s entertainers and athletes and making them one-of-a-kind pieces of art.

“Bringing together two successful brands – SPEED and Unique – creates a tremendous opportunity for success,” said SPEED Channel President Jim Liberatore. “This is the network where television viewers increasingly expect to see superior car and automotive lifestyle shows with the most credible talent. Will is recognized as the best in the business at what he does – his craftsmanship and attention to service set him apart from the rest. He gives this program instant credibility and star-power.

“SPEED Channel already is the unquestioned leader in motor sports television,” Liberatore added. “Unique Whips will remind television viewers that SPEED Channel also is the primary home of automotive enthusiasts and everyone who shares a passion for automobiles and motorcycles.”

Castro’s A-list clientele includes entertainers Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony, Busta Rhymes, Jadakiss, Wyclef, Fat Joe, G-Unit and Eminem; NFL standouts Curtis Martin, Santana Moss and Lavar Arrington; NBA stars Jermaine O’Neal, Carmelo Anthony, Yao Ming, Steve Francis and Latrell Sprewell. Unique also works with the N.Y. Jets and the N.Y. Knicks.

“Unique Whips is not going to be a show about turning a toaster into a go-kart,” Castro said. “Sure, we do celebrity vehicle conversions, and that’s great, but I want to showcase the good, the bad, and the ugly of this business. To do that honestly, we feel we have to show everything -- how we handle rich and powerful clients, who believe we should feel privileged to do their car. I’m going to show it all. I’m going to show the stuff that everyone else is afraid to put out there.”

“Bringing Will Castro to SPEED is a real coup for the network,” said Robert Ecker, SPEED Channel VP of Programming. “In a television universe recently cluttered with automotive-themed programs that are largely contrived, this is one of the few that can genuinely be called authentic. That is not to say the series will be dry, dull or in any way mundane; quite the contrary. ‘Unique’ is not just the name of Will’s business, but an apt description of who he is. Like the man and all he does, this show will be, too.”

For Castro, taking his work to television is simply about sharing his passion for cars.

“To be honest with you, it’s about the fans,” Castro said. “Unique has been around for a while, and a lot of people already have had the chance to be exposed to our work. And although most will never be customers, they love what we do.

“On any given day, a father may pop by the shop with his boys to give them a glimpse of some of the hottest cars in the world,” Castro added. “To this day, I remember how that feels. I still get excited about working on different cars. So basically, I wanted to find a way to share that experience with the thousands of Unique Autosports fans who write, call and stop by the shop, simply to let us know that they really like what we do.”

When it came time for Castro to pick a television partner, SPEED Channel was the obvious choice.

“Being associated with a network that ‘breathes’ automotive culture is really important to me,” Castro said. “I feel SPEED Channel brings the perfect audience -- an audience that really appreciates attention to detail. For me and the guys at Unique, this is our life, and we wanted to be with a network that is as focused on the automotive community as we were. Unique has earned the reputation as one of the best in the world at what we do, and I view SPEED Channel much the same way.”

Hollywood East Entertainment out of New York will produce the program.