Author Topic: the real state of hip hop.  (Read 509 times)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: the real state of hip hop.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 02:01:16 PM »
only 7 classics SINCE 96, and 1 of them is  COLLEGE DROPOUT, ILL NAME 20 if not more albums, from 96, that are better.. shit, i can name 5 from 03

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2005, 02:20:43 PM »
only 7 classics SINCE 96, and 1 of them is  COLLEGE DROPOUT, ILL NAME 20 if not more albums, from 96, that are better.. shit, i can name 5 from 03

lmao. I personally haven't heard a CD better than College Dropout since Stillmatic. And in 1996, I will be honest, that was a year that it seemed hip-hop shit hit the fan and everyone was dropping un-earthly music. But years like 1996, 1994, 1988, they only come once in a while. And in 1996, Snoop flopped, and there were many flops. So it's not like it was all roses and shit. The game is the same as it always is. The only difference is we hear it now and to us it's not as good as the 90's. The people in the 80's hated the 90's. The people now will hate the rap music in 2010's. It's just the way it is. They'll say, remember when so and so dropped this, remember College Dropout, remember Black Album, remember The Documentry. Us, we are like, remember Dogg Food, remember Makaveli, remember Illmatic, and the people of the 80's were like, remember Crinimal Minded, remember Straight Outta Compton, remember Paid In Full. To you, there are better albums than College Dropout. I've been listening to rap for along time. I honestly remember Straight Outta Compton, Eazy Does It, Paid In Full, and I remember Doggystyle, The Chronic, Illmatic, and now College Dropout, and all the stuff of today. Nothings changed expect during the whole eastcoast westcoast beef, lots of great music was dropped then because of both coast were trying to prove something. Both sides were trying to create great music to outdo the other coast. So in the late 80's/ early 90's life was great. After that and before, it was all average.

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005, 02:23:35 PM »
black album, little brother, canibus, murs, masta killa, masta ace, >>>> college dropout, and thats just recent and off the top of the dome..

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2005, 02:26:32 PM »
black album, little brother, canibus, murs, masta killa, masta ace, >>>> college dropout, and thats just recent and off the top of the dome..

LMAO

I'm just gonna pick unlistened to albums that I like, and say they are better than College Dropout. I understand though, some people like that underground shit better than commercial. And honestly, it is better. But commercial vs. underground aside, College Dropout is a classic, and I think is better than even most underground music out there. And College Dropout was better than Black Album.

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2005, 02:28:04 PM »

LMAO

I'm just gonna pick unlistened to albums that I like, and say they are better than College Dropout. I understand though, some people like that underground shit better than commercial. And honestly, it is better. But commercial vs. underground aside, College Dropout is a classic, and I think is better than even most underground music out there. And College Dropout was better than Black Album.
wat u mean unlistened ablums that i like.. i think mostly everyone on this board will agree that those albums are better, and yes, i loved college dropoud, but to say its 1 of the 7 classics since 96, is beyond loudacris

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2005, 02:45:30 PM »
hip hop has become commercilised jargen and bullshit. i want the old school back... it reminds me of big brother or wwf wrestling or some shit. im losing faith in hip hop, atleast in the shit comin out nowa days...
Try listening to some british hiphop.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Boo-Yaa †

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Keep the Faith
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2005, 04:18:51 PM »
hip hop has become commercilised jargen and bullshit. i want the old school back... it reminds me of big brother or wwf wrestling or some shit. im losing faith in hip hop, atleast in the shit comin out nowa days...
Try listening to some british hiphop.

i seriously...SERIOUSLY suggest u dont..4 ur own good.

Kal EL

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2005, 12:10:49 PM »
Hip Hop is going through the same thing that Rock n Roll and every other form of Music has gone through. Right now there is a lot of garbage...but there are still MC's out there. Everytime I think that Hip Hop is on her Last lifeline she births out another banging CD. Music is always an expression of the culture or like a thermometer for where the people are. Especially Black people's music.

Our Music from Slavery until now has always reflected that. Hip Hop came after the death of the Civil Rights Movement and the silencing/destruction of its leaders. Hip Hop is this generation's Movement. Many of the people out here are Smoked Out, Sleep Walking, Out for Money, Etc... So naturally the music reflects that in many NOT ALL instances.

But the real reason is or should I say ONE of the reasons is that Record Execs. think that only the stuff that is on the TV and on the radio will sale. Classic Example is what happened to Rakim at Aftermath/Interscope. There are MC's that break through...

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2005, 12:12:40 PM »
yo can u guys post some for good funk tracks

Elevz

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2005, 04:26:15 PM »
How? Basically all I'm saying is that hip-hop back in the days was average. The only reason why we are on an ild school trip is because we listen to old hip-hop and it makes us feel young again. We like that feeling. Now classic old school albums are just that, classic. DOC, NWA, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Snoop, 2Pac, Rakim, KRS-One/Boogie Down Production, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang Clan, Bigge and Nas. That's some quality shit. But try listening to your old tapes, 10 year old tapes. Name some classic shit outside of 2Pac and the Dogg Pound from 1995.

I'm too young to know about DOC and NWA since young age. One of the first hiphop thing I remember is Dr. Dre's Keep their heads ringin'. Still, I love listening to N.W.A and The D.O.C. and all that. It probably IS good music. The same goes for all of that early Wu-Tang stuff. It's great music I discovered pretty late, but I love most of it.

The New Pollution

• Lil Geezy
  • > You
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2005, 03:32:23 PM »
No need to fucking preach about hip-hop. It's music in general. I don't get why people act like hip-hop sucks so much these days and how old hip-hop is the way to go. There still is good rap around. And yes, the mainstream media in general sucks. But I won't fucking complain about it. I can listen to my Mr Lif, Radiohead, Boards Of Canada, Meshuggah, Mogwai and Miles Davis. No one's stopping me from listening to good music.

First of all; Hip-hop is not the only genre that is being milked by the record companies. There's more to music than hip-hop. But I guess that's a bit too hard to understand for some people. And another thing is that in general, hip-hop heads are extremely closeminded. They don't allow innovation anymore - with a few exception. It's almost 10 years ago that the last experimental - not creative, experimental - rap record has been released. That's just fucking sad.

Also; The record companies do what they've got to do. You can't blame them. It's the artists. The consumer wants shitty rap music. So that's what the companies sell them.

It's up to the fucking consumer. Not the companies. It are the masses that have the shitty taste in rap music. And good hip-hop has become very accesable because of the internet. So you can't blame MTV anymore, considering most people get their music from the internet, anyway.

Stop complaining about the state of music for fucking once and start changing it. Bitching won't get you anywhere. Neither will ignorance.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2005, 03:48:16 PM »
It's almost 10 years ago that the last experimental - not creative, experimental - rap record has been released. That's just fucking sad.

Which one was that?

The New Pollution

• Lil Geezy
  • > You
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2005, 03:50:04 PM »
It's almost 10 years ago that the last experimental - not creative, experimental - rap record has been released. That's just fucking sad.

Which one was that?

DJ Shadow - Entroducing...

His approach to sampling was unique and unheard of at the time. His whole sound was new and unique.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2005, 03:54:39 PM »
How? Basically all I'm saying is that hip-hop back in the days was average. The only reason why we are on an ild school trip is because we listen to old hip-hop and it makes us feel young again. We like that feeling. Now classic old school albums are just that, classic. DOC, NWA, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Snoop, 2Pac, Rakim, KRS-One/Boogie Down Production, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang Clan, Bigge and Nas. That's some quality shit. But try listening to your old tapes, 10 year old tapes. Name some classic shit outside of 2Pac and the Dogg Pound from 1995.

I'm too young to know about DOC and NWA since young age. One of the first hiphop thing I remember is Dr. Dre's Keep their heads ringin'. Still, I love listening to N.W.A and The D.O.C. and all that. It probably IS good music. The same goes for all of that early Wu-Tang stuff. It's great music I discovered pretty late, but I love most of it.

Let me put out some names that people hated pre-1995, the same way people today hate on Nelly and company.

Young MC, Tone Loc, MC Hammer, Tim Dog, Vanilla Ice, Shaq Diesel... lol (it was 1992), Diggable Planets, Kris Kross, Snow.

So for every single De La Soul album, you have a Tim Dog album, for every Ice Cube album, you have a Kris Kross album. I mean come on. rap back then, like rap now, is average. You had garbage on the radio, the difference was that you had dope shit on the radio. Now I don't hear dope shit. But that's all good, 'cause it's still there.

Today, for every Nelly, you got a Nas, for every Fabolous you got Talib Kweli. And it's not even like in any era they agree what classic is. Just like today people debate if Game is any good, people were hating on DJ Quik and 2nd II None back in the days, just like people hate on 50 Cent and G Unit now, people hated on Dr. Dre and Death Row. Jay-Z is considered a legend now, just 3-4 years ago he was hated on because people blamed him for fucking up rap music with all his "hot" singles. Nas is considered a top 5 rapper of all time, before he was hated on because of one album that flopped. Time changes people's opinions of things. We tend to like the older stuff more than the newer stuff.

Myself personally, my favorite era comes from 1992-1996, when Death Row fucked the game up. Others, it's 1988-1991 when artist like Rakim and Public Enemy ran shit, hell, you may have some that love 1996-1999 when the eastcoast cameback after years of being outsold by the west, some it's now because of the south running hip-hop. Old shit is good, but the problem is we can select albums from back then to listen to, and forget all the trash that was on back then.

The New Pollution

• Lil Geezy
  • > You
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2005, 03:58:44 PM »
Digable Planets

For no reason. They're one of the most creative hip-hop acts of the '90s. Their first album's a classic hip-hop record.