Author Topic: Q and A: questions I'm frequently asked about Dre, first question - Detox?  (Read 3263 times)

mellowmanisback

• Lil Geezy
If you want to contact me send me a message through this board.  I will not give e-mail out.  Consider me a Ghost.  I can disappear at any time. Take my posts however you want.  Whether you consider me a hoax, real, or somewhere in between - it don't matter to me.  I don't give a fuck.  I love telling you about the process of making music and some insight about Dre and how he works.  I won't answer most questions about artists because i'll leave that up to people who actually know what happened.  I haven't seen Hittman for a long time so I have no idea what happened.  I would guess Jimmy wouldn't back him so he let him go and allowed him to pursue a new deal with another label.  But thats a total guess.  I don't really care. I just concern myself with creating music with dre to the best of my abilities.  I have no control over anything else.  I got time for 2 more q and a's i want to address, so back to those.

Quadruple OG

the one thing I wanna know is what did dre think about Kurupt going back to Death Row (since Kurupt was on 2001 and dre produced some tracks for him)?

BIGMOZ

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
I sent you a private message bro.  If you get a chance, holler back at me.

But one seperate question about Dre.  Do most of the orchestral sounds we hear on the beats come from synths, and samples, or are they real orchestra's playing?  If they are samples, which series are they?  (Vienna, East West Quantum Leap)?

Thanks. 

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
Mellow, I have a question and, whether or not you have a concrete answer, a response would be greatly appreciated. Recently, as you may be aware, the magazine ''Blender'' reached out to both Snoop and Dre about the possibility of the ''Break Up To Make Up'', or 'reunion' album between the two that has been specualted upon for so long coming to fruition. As I recall, both appeared to suggest that they would have no problems with recording such a venture and seemed willing.

My question in simple: do you believe such an album will ever see the light of the day. Another ''Chronic'' where we see the two go back and forth so frequently? Personally, I've had my doubts over whether I'd ever hear another Dre/Snoop collaboration what with all the rumours of a rift between the two circulating. Plus, whether or not those are in any way true, they haven't released any music together publically since ''The Wash'' soundtrack and that was, according to several reports, supposed to be the 'reunion' album.

The pair have an undeniable chemistry. Snoop brings out the best in Dre. Dre, hands down, brings out the best in Snoop. I know that so many would love to see this go down. Unfortunately, it would certainly appear that Snoop is more concerned with working with The Neptunes nowadays...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 03:09:50 PM by DPG2K »
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

Elevz

They were said to be on stage in Ireland together last night... So it seems they're still down! I don't think Snoop is more concerned with working with the Neptunes though. He too realises the power Dre has, and the success a collabo of them two will have.

mellowmanisback

• Lil Geezy
Q: Does Dre steal credit?  
A: I hate this f'in question. I know this will always be out there no matter how hard I argue it.  So i'm not going to attempt to win this arguement.  But No Dre does not steal credit from others. In my experience with Dre I have ALWAYS gotten proper credit and full publishing.   Since the first Aftermath album Dre has given proper credit to every songwriter, producer, musician, engineer, whoever. Dre told me he learned how not to run a label during his Death Row days. He vowed to give proper credit to everyone who works on each track.  Whether Dre produces or co produces , Dre's name will almost always go first.  That's just the way it is.  The only time it doesn't is when Dre doesn't actively work on the making of the track. If it is finished and he jumps on and adds or changes he will not be the first name.  But if Dre is active in the true creation of the track he will go first, and rightfully so as Dre is the orchestrator and director of every track.  At death row Dre and every other artist i talked to has told me suge would let Dre get his own publishing but suge would basically steal everyone elses.  In music, getting publishing credit is almost everything.  Whether Snoop or Kurupt or whoever wrote the verse it didn't matter.  Suge publishing would get the credit.  Dre will always admit that creating The Chronic and Doggystyle was a team effort, but that there was no doubt he was the mastermind behind the production of the tracks.  Obviously I wasn't there during the Death Row days but everyone I have talked to during my time with Dre who was actually there said that Dre was the main force, the main producer and orchestrator of every track.  he got a lot of help from musicians and ocassional help from co-producers like sam sneed, and warren g, etc. which Dre credits for helping make those classic records.  In the end though suge would not pay them correctly so a lot of people left.  the original death row is gone, and they almost all left after dre left - even daz - that should tell you something.  suge stole credits and publishing from the musicians and writers all the time.  and although Dre couldn't (although maybe he should have) force suge to change as co owner of death row he was ultimatley responsible, and Dre felt really bad about it. he felt responsible although it wasn't really his fault. That was a major factor in starting Aftermath.  Dre wanted to run a label the correct way and make sure everyone who worked with him got full credit and the correct publishing.  I can honestly say Dre has never cheated me or anyone else i know during my time at Aftermath.  Egos can get involved where some people think they should get more credit than they deserve. Scott had those issues once but he's back and working with us and is very happy to be a part of dre's team.
If you ask anyone who has ever worked with Dre if he treats them fairly they will all say yes.  If you are willing to put in the work it takes to be successful dre will treat you and compensate you like family.  He will reward you for your efforts.
Hopefully this sheds a little light on things.  Dre is far from perfect, even very irritable sometimes, but in this business of music you will find few people as giving and humble as Dre.  

Timmeeeehh

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Bloaw.
Mellow, you got any idea what's happening with all those beats/tracks Dre did for 2001 and now doing for Detox that won't be used.
Will they leak one day? Or is Dre putting it back forever in his vaults? I mean even those tracks Dre isn't happy with, a lot of people here will be...

Thanks!

Tsjaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Mygla

big props for doing this mellowman! i really appreciate reading the stuff you post here :)

q: do you know what song Dre considers to be his best production? which do you think?

Denial! Is Actively Joinin The Revolution

• Muthafuckin' Don!
yo mellowmanisback cheers for answering these question but could u answer this question i woz wonderin bout these tracks and another called not many days left.

hey mellow.. i thought of a couple questions..

do you have any idea more info on the origins of the 'other' version of xxplosive which was bootlegged under the name "way i be pimpin" and the track it was leaked with that had the name "my life".. which sampled Roy Ayers - Everybody Loves The Sunshine

are they -both- from 2001 sessions as is rumoured?  they surfaced several years after.

Hittman is not a real person. He was a computer program generated by Dr. Dre and Mel Man back in the mid 90's. When Dre started treating Mel-Man like shit, Mel infiltrated the computer and put a virus in the hittman program

Suga Foot

I got a question.....     

From what I understand, Dre's Chronic album basically saved Interscope.  He's been with them since '92.  He's  been there for so long, yet Interscope is always pressuring him.  Why don't they just let him work, and give them the albums when they're done? 

Hittman2001

I got a question.....     

From what I understand, Dre's Chronic album basically saved Interscope.  He's been with them since '92.  He's  been there for so long, yet Interscope is always pressuring him.  Why don't they just let him work, and give them the albums when they're done? 

and extension to that question is why dont they trust dre enough to put out what he and the artist wants for example, Rakim's album?

mellowmanisback

• Lil Geezy
Good thing I'm not really working today because my hand is shot.  I'm sure I'll still get some work in tonight as I am addicted to music. I promised to give you a few hours of my time so I want to address one final Q and A before i leave - this adresses Adjoo's question
Q: Does "The Vault" really exist?
A: Yes it does.  Dre's vault is the stuff of legend.  It is almost mythical.  I have sworn to secrecy about its location so i won't touch that part.  Have I Ever been in there? Ha, If I told you that I'd have to kill you.  What is in the vault?  The vault basically has every track dre has ever recorded.  He has copies of everything he did on Death Row but can never release.  You can't even imagine how many instrumentals that have accumulated over the years I've been at Aftermath.  It's in the thousands.  Dre keeps all his music for his own personal use and listening.  He basically keeps them as a soundtrack to his life. Most of the leftovers will never be heard.  Most of the unused instrumentals will never be heard, at least while Dre is alive.  There is enough music to release hundreds of albums so Dre could possibly live through music for many additional lifetimes. But you'll most likely never hear them.  I don't know what will happen when Dre passes away. it depends upon who controsl his massive estate.  Hopefully that is many years from now, though.
I have had the privalege to hear a lot of music you will never have a chance to hear and for that i am sorry.  Dre usually does a great job of using the right beats and songs, but some of the unreleased music is some of the dopest shit I have ever heard.  We sometimes are in awe of what Dre tosses out but Dre knows what Dre wants.  Who are we to argue.  We may plead and beg but in the end its Dre's music so he can do with it what he wants.  I truly wish that I could let you hear the music because you are missing out on some the most innovative and dope unreleased music in the history of this business.  From ruthless to Aftermath there is truly some great tracks out there than only Dre will ever hear.  If I knew how to do it I might be able to post some old Ruthless Dr. Dre remixes that are very very rare.  I got these tracks from Dre cause they were released in very limited edition so they qualify as released.
Anyway, The Vault is real and does contain close to the entire Dre creative library.  I am honored to have heard a lot of mind blowing unreleased Dre tracks.  But alas, like you guys I am sure there is a lot of great shit in there that I, along with the rest of the human race, will never hear. Peace.

Young Dan Iza

props 4 answerin ?z mellow, but can u say anything about what producers dre got tracks for or atleast just how many producers he reached out 2? 

Mygla

aaaw, the money i'd pay to enter that vault with a couple of bags :D

Timmeeeehh

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Bloaw.
Thanks a lot for answering my question, I appreciate it!
Peace

Tsjaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.