Author Topic: Iraq Election finals  (Read 177 times)

Thirteen

Iraq Election finals
« on: February 13, 2005, 02:00:22 PM »
well here's the final info... seems like a shiite group took first, a kurd group took second and the US puppet took third..this means

infinite... you were wrong....as the shiites and kurds will have the most power (kurds being the most american friendly of the groups)

ant... so people thought they were voting for president? funny how two GROUPS won... and not two people....i would think that the 48% that voted for the shiite group would know the difference between 1 person and a coalition of shiites

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Clergy-backed Shiites and independence-minded Kurds swept to victory in Iraq (news - web sites)'s landmark elections, propelling to power the groups that suffered most under Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) and forcing Sunni Arabs to the margins for the first time in modern history, according to final results released Sunday.

But the Shiites' 48 percent of the vote is far short of the two-thirds majority needed to control the 275-member National Assembly. The results threw immediate focus on Iraqi leaders' backdoor dealmaking to create a new coalition government — possibly in an alliance with the Kurds — and on efforts to lure Sunnis into the fold and away from a bloody insurgency.

Interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, the secular Shiite chosen by the United States to lead this country for the last eight turbulent months, fared poorly — his ticket finishing a distant third behind the religious Shiites and Kurds.

"This is a new birth for Iraq," election commission spokesman Farid Ayar said, announcing results of the Jan. 30 polling, the first free election in Iraq in more than 50 years and the first since Saddam fell. Iraqi voters "became a legend in their confrontation with terrorists."

Iraqi Kurds danced in the streets and waved Kurdish flags when results were announced in the oil-rich, ethnically mixed city of Kirkuk. Thousands more Kurds — a people who were gassed and forced from their homes by Saddam's forces — turned out in Sulaimaniyah, firing weapons in the air and carrying posters of their leaders.

"I feel that I am born again," said Bakhtiyar Mohammed, 42. "I am very happy because we suffered a lot. Now I can say that I am an Iraqi Kurd with pride."

The Shiite-dominated United Iraqi Alliance ticket received 4,075,295 votes, or about 48 percent of the total cast, officials said.

The Kurdistan Alliance, a coalition of two main Kurdish parties, finished second with 2,175,551 votes, or 26 percent. And the Iraqi List headed by Allawi stood third with 1,168,943 votes, or nearly 14 percent.

Parties have three days to lodge complaints, after which the results will be certified and seats in the new Assembly distributed. Seats will generally be allocated according to the percentage of votes that each ticket won. It appeared only 12 coalitions would take seats. The Shiites stand to gain up to 140 seats with the Kurds could end up with about 75.

"This is a great victory for the Iraqi people," said Ahmad Chalabi, a former Pentagon (news - web sites) protege and member of the Shiite ticket who is lobbying for the prime minister's post. "We will have an assembly which is elected by the people and the government which is completely legitimate and elected by the people."

Other leading contenders for the top post include fellow Shiites Ibrahim Jaafari, a vice president; Finance Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi; and former nuclear scientist Hussain al-Shahristani.

The results highlighted the sharp differences among Iraq's ethnic, religious and cultural groups — many of whom fear domination not just by the Shiites, estimated at 60 percent of the population, but also by the Kurds, the most pro-American group with about 15 percent.

The results also draw attention to the close and longtime ties between now-victorious Iraqi Shiite leaders and clerics in neighboring Iran. The Shiite ticket owes its success to the support of Iraq's clerics, including Iranian-born Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani.

In contrast, many Sunni Arabs, who make up an estimated 20 percent of the population, stayed home on election day, either out of fear of violence or to support a boycott call by radical clerics opposed to the U.S. military.

Overall, national turnout was about 60 percent, the commission said — but only 2 percent of the eligible voters cast ballots in Anbar province, the Sunni insurgent stronghold that includes Ramadi and Fallujah.

Turnout was also low in the Sunni Arab provinces of Ninevah and Salaheddin, both insurgency centers. An American soldier was killed and another wounded in Salaheddin as the results were being announced in Baghdad.

After results came out Sunday, some Sunnis again rejected the whole process.

"The elections were held to fight the Sunnis and were led by the Americans with the Kurds and Shiites," said Ramadi mechanic Abdullah al-Dulaimi. "The election results will lead to a sectarian war."

Mohammed Bashar of the anti-American Association of Muslim Scholars said he questioned the figures because few international or U.N. monitors were present in Iraq for the vote.

"Those who boycotted the elections are more than those who took part in it," Bashar said on Al-Jazeera television.

No date has been set for convening the new assembly. Its first task will be to elect a president and two vice presidents by a two-thirds majority. So far the only declared presidential candidate is a Kurdish leader Jalal Talabani. The three will choose a new prime minister subject to assembly approval.

Mindful of such tensions, Shiite leaders went out of their way Sunday to assure disaffected Sunnis, as well as Turkomen, Christians and others, that they would have a place in the new Iraq and a role in drafting the new constitution.

Abdul-Mahdi, the finance minister and possible prime minister, insisted that Shiite leaders do not want "an Islamic government."

And the Shiite ticket's leader, Abdul-Aziz al-Hakim, told Iraqi television: "We believe in the need for participation and will seek harmony among all segments of the Iraqi people."

Al-Hakim, who lost 19 family members to Saddam's executioners, sat and wept as he heard the results.

But finding credible Sunni leaders — who can speak for both average Sunnis and also reach out to the insurgency — could prove difficult.

Although the Shiite ticket included some Sunnis, prominent Sunni Arab politicians fared poorly due to the boycott: The list headed by interim President Ghazi al-Yawer, a Sunni Arab, won only 150,680 votes. The ticket led by Sunni elder statesman Adnan Pachachi gained only 12,728 votes.

Pachachi, who had pleaded with the Bush administration to delay the election to allow time to win Sunni support, said it was now clear "a big number of Iraqis" did not vote.

Because relatively few Sunnis will end up in the assembly, some Iraqi politicians have suggested appointing Sunnis to advisory committees to help draft the new constitution.

But the Association of Muslim Scholars, believed to have some ties to the insurgency, has demanded tough conditions for accepting such a role — including a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. troops. The group also wants to end purges of members of Saddam's Baath party from the government.

Many Shiites and Kurds — with bitter memories of Saddam's repression — have opposed opening government ranks to former Baathists.

And in general, those groups also have said they want U.S. troops to stay for now.

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Iraq Election finals
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 09:49:14 PM »

ant... so people thought they were voting for president? funny how two GROUPS won... and not two people....i would think that the 48% that voted for the shiite group would know the difference between 1 person and a coalition of shiites

Wow you have an extraodinarly difficult time with logical reasoning.  I said 50% of the voters in iraq went to the polls thinknig they were voting for a president.  You haven't refuted that at all.  Of course after leaving the polls more iraqis knew what they were voting for, but my point was that leading up to the election iraqis were uninformed.

Dude seriously.... it seems like its against your personal code to ever admit fucking up, but it would a good thing if every now and then you admit when you say shit that makes no sense. Otherwise the legitmacy of your views just turns to shit (which is sorta already has), but if you can't recognize the obvious how can you possibly recognize and understand a more complicated argument?

Thirteen

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 09:56:44 PM »
so 50% of the poeple thought they were voting for president but around 65% of the poeple voted for groups?

hmmm interesting... let me know what calculator you're using because on mine it doesn't make much sense

Thirteen

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 09:59:52 PM »
also out of the 1000 candidates around 3.5 - 4 million people happened to pick the same group to make it number one and about another 1 - 1.5 million ended up picking another...

shit i hope they don't start a lottery in iraq...they'll have alot of winners because people there have great odds of picking the same thing when they don't know what they're doing

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 10:04:24 PM »
so 50% of the poeple thought they were voting for president but around 65% of the poeple voted for groups?

hmmm interesting... let me know what calculator you're using because on mine it doesn't make much sense

wow. dude you are dumb as fuck.  50% of the people, prior to going to the polls, thought they were voting for a president. Of course after going in to vote the polls they would realize otherwise. This is what I mean about you not being able to understand simple arguments. 

BTW I already said this in my previous post.

Matrix Heart

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 06:04:41 AM »
lol they didn't elect a president they elected a party for 275-member National Assembly and Shiites got the majority  :nahnah:

Thirteen

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 06:06:30 AM »
oh so you admit that when the voting took place, they realized they were voting for something else and the voting was successful... once again you argue for nothing.

plus the fact your opinion is based on speculation makes you even more retarded

have a nice day

Thirteen

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 06:07:11 AM »
lol they didn't elect a president they elected a party for 275-member National Assembly and Shiites got the majority  :nahnah:

umm we know that

:banana_llama:

Matrix Heart

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 06:13:47 AM »

umm we know that

lol ;D

Thirteen

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 06:31:06 AM »

umm we know that

lol ;D

yes that's ant's logic... he said all the voters thought they were voting for a president...but somehow 65% of the voter ended up picking two groups...

now he's saying that before the election, people didn't know what they were voting for...which means his argument is useless...i don't care if they thought they were voting for the local school board before the election...as long on the day of the election they knew who they were going to vote for and why

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 06:24:42 PM »
Usually the point of the argument barely goes over Smerlus' head.

I dont think the argument and smerlus were even in the same room this time.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Thirteen

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 09:24:32 PM »
Usually the point of the argument barely goes over Smerlus' head.

I dont think the argument and smerlus were even in the same room this time.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

smerlus thinks you should raise off his N U Teez cause you gets none of these at ease

*inserts random action in here to look cool*

oh yeah smerlus almost forgot to e smack you

*smerlus types on keyboard the letters E S M A C K and finishes with*

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 03:39:57 AM »
The Republicans in power, have done one good thing in United States foriegn policy, the group that should have won elections in Iraq, did win.

...Still, the truth is Iraqi's still don't have any real power in Iraq, and Bush never really wanted to have elections this fair, but Sustani displayed his power when he lead that massive protest about a year ago, so Bush decided he'd rather fight just 20% of the country then 80%.  They are still a puppet government for now (Although Sustani's people may make a play for real power in Iraq). The US administration has already told Iraq what they can and can't do with their government, which means they have no real power and they are just puppets on a string.

Donald Rumsfeld made it plain on April 15, 2003, that the choices to the people in a "liberated" Iraq would be limited as well.

• Iraq cannot be divided into three separate countries (a plan that many people believe is the only way to bring lasting peace and freedom to the country).

• No matter what weapons nearby countries such as Israel, Pakistan, or Russia might use to threaten it, Iraq will not be allowed to have comparable weapons.

• Iraq cannot become a fundamentalist Islamic country like Iran.

• Former members of the Ba'ath Party cannot participate in any new government (although the Bush people chose Ayad Allawi, a former official in the party, to be the interim Prime Minister).

• People who are pro-Iran or pro-Syria cannot participate in the elections or the government, although anyone who is pro-American is of course free to do so.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 03:44:27 AM by Muharram 1426 A.H. »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Thirteen

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 08:17:57 PM »
The Republicans in power, have done one good thing in United States foriegn policy, the group that should have won elections in Iraq, did win.

...Still, the truth is Iraqi's still don't have any real power in Iraq, and Bush never really wanted to have elections this fair, but Sustani displayed his power when he lead that massive protest about a year ago, so Bush decided he'd rather fight just 20% of the country then 80%.  They are still a puppet government for now (Although Sustani's people may make a play for real power in Iraq). The US administration has already told Iraq what they can and can't do with their government, which means they have no real power and they are just puppets on a string.

Donald Rumsfeld made it plain on April 15, 2003, that the choices to the people in a "liberated" Iraq would be limited as well.

• Iraq cannot be divided into three separate countries (a plan that many people believe is the only way to bring lasting peace and freedom to the country).

• No matter what weapons nearby countries such as Israel, Pakistan, or Russia might use to threaten it, Iraq will not be allowed to have comparable weapons.

• Iraq cannot become a fundamentalist Islamic country like Iran.

• Former members of the Ba'ath Party cannot participate in any new government (although the Bush people chose Ayad Allawi, a former official in the party, to be the interim Prime Minister).

• People who are pro-Iran or pro-Syria cannot participate in the elections or the government, although anyone who is pro-American is of course free to do so.

it's common sense to  give restrictions on a new government that's not quite stable.... look at the restrictions we placed on Japan after WW2... most of their military's message traffic has to come through us

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 03:36:25 AM »

it's common sense to  give restrictions on a new government that's not quite stable.... look at the restrictions we placed on Japan after WW2... most of their military's message traffic has to come through us

So I guess you realize then that Iraq really isn't "liberated" and "free".   That those are just nice sounding words that have no real meaning.  Liberation means "free of foriegn countrol".   And "freedom" means being free from restraints.  Iraq obviously doesn't fit either of those descriptions.  You do realize that don't you?

My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)