Author Topic: why the hell doesn't the west sell much  (Read 216 times)

budsmokeronly

why the hell doesn't the west sell much
« on: August 21, 2002, 07:34:27 AM »
I just don't get it.  They make really great albums, but they just do not sell much.  I used to think that it was cause of bootlegging, but I don't really think that is too huge of a problem for sales because people like Eminem sold millions, and when his album leaked I have never seen so many people on IRC trying to get an album.  Is it because a majority of people buying rap music are little groupie kids who don't know their asshole from a hole in the ground?  Do people just not like gangsta rap anymore?  I love it, and hope it doesn't die.  How many of you guys are sick of gangsta rap?  I don't understand how Nelly can sell millions of albums, and doggystyle allstars only sell 35,000 copies so far.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: why the hell doesn't the west sell much
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 12:22:41 PM »
East Coast radio stations rarely play West Coast music...

West Coast Radio stations constantly play East Coast Music...

Hope that helps...

lbc213

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 12:44:45 PM »
Once again, popular artists are gettin released worldwide on big labels ex: eminem, ja fool, dmx, .... . U will find underground stuff in the US, but u won't find them in Europe.

"ok so why don't they order it online ?"

=> answer : Not everyone is able to do that (no credit card, just don't trust online buyin, ...).

Lemme tell u something, Nate Dogg (didn't get released here, don't ask me why), Daz "RAW" & "Life i Lead" (didn't get released here => independent label), DJ Quik (.............) So how can people buy the record if its not in stores ??? I m a big fan so I order stuff, but 80 % doesn't.

U talked about those "little groupie kids", I feel u, ur right, they see eminem in stores, dmx, snoop, nas,.....but they probably don't know that daz has 3 albums,...

This is just how I see it, hope u feel my point

pz

-lbc213-

budsmokeronly

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2002, 12:49:55 PM »
yeah you guys both got good points, I feel ya

Nosak

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Half Dogg,Half Monkey..Bitch! Donkey Kong
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2002, 03:56:09 PM »
the west is dead, dead people ain'T suposed to sell, except pac...... the promotions for the west on the east is  more than poor
snoop dogg - "i don't fuck with the pocus everybody
knows this , i fuck with the chronic cause the chronic
gives me dopeness"                                   

- Look here bitch you're fine and i dig your style...-

EastsideLBC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2002, 04:56:31 PM »
East Coast radio stations rarely play West Coast music...

West Coast Radio stations constantly play East Coast Music...

Hope that helps...

Nuff said!! Why dont west coast just stop playin' east coast shit and then see what happens!!! :) 8)

BL7

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2002, 05:16:38 PM »
Just like a few people mentioned above, tha west ain't sellin' because east coast radio stations hardly play west coast shit. I still hear ''Trouble'' on tha radio a lot, and I've been hearing ''Multiply'' & ''The Streets'' as well, but they don't play that shit much on tha east.

Real_G

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2002, 06:27:27 PM »
Once again, popular artists are gettin released worldwide on big labels ex: eminem, ja fool, dmx, .... . U will find underground stuff in the US, but u won't find them in Europe.

"ok so why don't they order it online ?"

=> answer : Not everyone is able to do that (no credit card, just don't trust online buyin, ...).

Lemme tell u something, Nate Dogg (didn't get released here, don't ask me why), Daz "RAW" & "Life i Lead" (didn't get released here => independent label), DJ Quik (.............) So how can people buy the record if its not in stores ??? I m a big fan so I order stuff, but 80 % doesn't.

U talked about those "little groupie kids", I feel u, ur right, they see eminem in stores, dmx, snoop, nas,.....but they probably don't know that daz has 3 albums,...

This is just how I see it, hope u feel my point

pz

-lbc213-

Up here in Canada alot I repeat ALOT of the cds i want aint released up here. And im not just talkin about the new stuff, I have to do some damn good research to find some of the shit i want. I order online quite alot. Ive made it my goal to get ALL of DJ Quik and the crews (Playa Hamm, suga free...)cds. Im doin pretty good so far but you ask someone if they sell a hi-c cd up here and they think you're making up names. Im definetly a fan of gettin the OG copies so Im always ordering.

Oh and Boss Slickk I already said in some other thread i wouldnt respond to dumbass coments on how the west is dead so ill leave yours alone....but never ever say that bullshit about how the west is dead again(my reasons in the MAN VS MACHINE AINT LOOK GOOD thread.)

js83

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2002, 07:26:17 PM »
i just don't get it..the fucking radio stations in the east coast don't play none of the west coast shit...and most of the west coast stations only play east coast shit like ja rule, nas, etc...i'm mean..i like some stuff from east coast and all...but this shit is startin to get on my nerves...and people like ja rule, nelly, jay-z, nas are on mtv all the fucking time....so they get pretty good promotion...therefore...sales are pretty good....i don't see any west coast rappers on TRL...except for snoop and dre...fucking wack.

yung-g

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Tha West Coast Aint Dead !!!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2002, 07:36:12 PM »
tha west has no promotion for it' up & coming talent. there are alotta talented cats out, but have no promotion, or they are indpendent.

but now that jt the bigga figga has sgned a 2 album deal with universal, hopefuly he'll bring a sound that helps bring back the west.
COMING SOON:

Featuring: Keak da Sneak, Jacka & Husalah (Mob Figaz), Bushwick Bill (Get Boys),
Mistah FAB, & more.
***INCLUDES BONUS DVD***

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2002, 07:41:20 PM »
Cuz We Lack.....

PROMOTION & DISTRIBUTION.

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Cliftone_Santiago_909

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2002, 07:43:40 PM »
I dont know. I dont think there really is an explanation for it. And it's not really about the West Coast, It's more about Gangsta Rap. I think people just got over the Gangsta shit... That's mostly what tha West Coast was known for... Gangsta Shit... cuz we tha most Gangsta muthafuckers around... But still.. not everybody is a gangsta so not everybody is gonna feel it.

You can't blame people for being on that Ja Rule/Nelly/Poppish Shit Band Wagon cuz that's what people alwayz do... People alwayz jock what's "in"...  back in the days they were just ridin the Gangsta Bandwagon. But that doesn't make them any more real.

Me myself... I've gotten kind of bored with tha same old Gangsta shit too. I don't bump Gangsta Rap like I used to. I only like shit when it sounds fresh and creative. Cuz alot of Gangsta Rap gets repetitive as fuck. I still bump tha old school shit... mostly shit from 89-1998. Alot of Gangsta rap is fake too.. no matter how "real" tha rapper claims to be... sometimes it's just shallow. I'd rather listen to shit with a lil meaning or a lil thought put into it. And for real... How many of you all can really relate to that gangsta shit? Alot of you probably dont even blaze... or understant some of tha shit they're talking about.. I aint tryna get on anybody's case, I'm just sayin... not all Gangsta Rap is "Real" and alot of fans just be dreamin'.

All in all though.. I'm West Coast to tha fullest. I live and breathe tha shit. I like West Coast rap cuz I can alwayz relate to tha sound. The Day the West Coast "dies" is tha day me, my homeboys and everyone else who feels like me dies. I dont hate Ja Rule or Nelly or any other of that shit cuz it's not West Coast, I just dont like it cuz it aint real.. It's just another Banwagon..  

"These Bustas! Betta Recognize What's Commin'/ Dancin' On D's With Tha Alpine Bumpin'/ Ever Since A Child I Knew How To Live Foul/ Now I Bust Rhymes Like A Cool CRIMINAL" - King Tee

P Nelson

• 40 illa
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2002, 07:47:12 PM »
No promotions and no singles...

west_coast_rider

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2002, 07:48:06 PM »
they need to learn from company's like jive records who help sell millions for britney spears and nsync.