Author Topic: Why do sales matter so much?  (Read 414 times)

Big BpG

Why do sales matter so much?
« on: August 21, 2002, 11:09:33 PM »
Alright everyone,

One thing I know a lot of people talk about is the amount of records an album will sell. Why does it matter... all in all, at the end of the day... I have the album and that's all that matters... like recently with the whole Dogghouse issues and their selling... not much is happening with them, but we still got the album right... sure... when a record sells a lot, it's popular and we all want the west to bounce like it used to, but we all know how the industry is run... by the media...

who's gotten the biggest commercial area... New York City... home of both MTV and BET... so who's gonna appear on those stations the most... folks from NYC due to their proximity to the city... so we always see cats from NY on the television... and that's who the fans see... and tend to like. The west isn't selling shit... or is the south, or the midwest... all three have real good hip hop scenes, but because of the commercial success in NYC... they get no love....

The Top Cats In Their Respected 'Side' are with no question

East - Rocafella
West - Dogghouse
South - Cash Money
Midwest - Eminem/Nelly

you can think wrong of me when I say Dogghouse runs the west, but they do... Dre may sell more, but does he run the West... think about it... hell no... Aftermath is very successful, but give that to Eminem... I wouldn't consider him a Westcoast rapper by any means... what does he represent... Detroit... he grew up in iowa/michigan... both states lie next to my home state Wisconsin... I'm not westcoast am I? The Truth is definetly Westcoast, but she really didn't run anything... she had a great first single, but nothing came out of it except for a very popular club bouncer with hula skirts. Dogghouse is the west... Snoop's not lying when he says he controls the west... Tha Row aint the west, they were, but aren't... Aftermath doesn't have enough publicity to really run the west... lets flashback to the whole commercial thing again...  for people to understand  who you are, what you do, and how you do it, you gotta show them... Dogghouse puts themselves out there... whether it's by Snoop visiting 106 & Park... or by placing an ad in a magazine... when you go to see a Snoop concert.... you see the whole Dogghouse Lineup on stage from Soopafly, Kokane, Bad Azz, Tha Eastsidaz, Doggy's Angels... on and on and on... when you go to an Eminem concert you see... Eminem and D12... or Xzibit... you see just Xzibit... no one ever brings up Def Jam when we talk about East coast rap... even though they find their home in NYC... it's always the ROC... Def Jam doesn't go out and promote themselves, THEY PROMOTE THEIR ARTISTS... that's what Aftermath does... they promote Xzibit, Eminem, Dr. Dre, The Truth... but they don't work together on the same album like Dogghouse or Rocafella do... Dogghouse is tight... meaning they're very close with each other... like Rocafella is, like Ruff Ryders and Murder Inc, Cash Money...

Dogghouse definetly has some learning to do about the game... no doubt, but their style is really different and isn't very commercial feeling... granted, if MTV and BET were located in Los Angeles... Rocafella would be in Dogghouse's position... no doubt

-Big BpG
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05

themovie

Re: Why do sales matter so much?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2002, 11:19:33 PM »
I feel ya Big Bpg,but i care about the sales cuz if an album dont sell too much theres a small chance to have another album out.....for example:if e-white first album will sell 20.000 copies (i'm pretty sure this will be not so far from the real) will kinda hard to see another album from him,cuz i'm pretty sure mca dont give a fuck if e white or kokane are from snoop's label,the executives wanna make money by the barrels.....
I dont care about the sales when i listen to an album of course,but are really importants!
Think about it:the first release from snoop's label on mca records has sold only 35.000 copies in the first week.....i guess the executives over mca are not so happy about it!

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2002, 11:22:52 PM »
good post B. good point about how Aftermath promotes their artists, but theyre not as much of a crew as Dogghouse

Think about it:the first release from snoop's label on mca records has sold only 35.000 copies in the first week.....i guess the executives over mca are not so happy about it!

but thats their own fault cause they did not promote the album at all. they cant blame the quality of the album, its definitely the promotion. but I get the point you made with E White, same happend to Warren, he lost his hopes and Im sure he wants to retire cause his last album sold jack shit, so why make another album if no ones gonna buy it and worst of all if your label doesnt take care of you and dont promote it AT ALL
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

gFuNkA

sRe: Why do sales matter so much?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2002, 01:43:27 AM »
i guess before some1 signs a deal with a label they are also talking about promotion (promo-plans, promo-budgets) for upcoming releases...perhaps snoop wasnt out for big promotion...who knows. i doesnt surprise me that the doggy style allstars release only sold few copies cause this release isnt as good as i thought it will be, but thats just my opinion. i hope the upcoming dogghouse albums will be better...with or without promotions (i dont care about promotions).

themovie

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2002, 02:15:27 AM »
good post B. good point about how Aftermath promotes their artists, but theyre not as much of a crew as Dogghouse

but thats their own fault cause they did not promote the album at all. they cant blame the quality of the album, its definitely the promotion. but I get the point you made with E White, same happend to Warren, he lost his hopes and Im sure he wants to retire cause his last album sold jack shit, so why make another album if no ones gonna buy it and worst of all if your label doesnt take care of you and dont promote it AT ALL

True! But are u sure that with the properly promotion this album would have sold 100/200.000 copies the first week ?

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2002, 03:32:56 AM »
Good post BpG, you've made some good points.

Sales don't matter to me. It's like people automatically think because an artist sells millions he/she is the best at what they do, they have the best material out and thats the reason why they sell, when infact thats BS. There's rare times where an artist will push mad units and the quality and talent is there, you usually find these artists making classic records.

Now, for example, all these people saying Murder INC is running things. Murder INC is running things sales wise, but the quality isn't always there imo. I'd say just about everything that has come out of the west this year has been tighter than anything Murder INC has dropped, still Murder INC has push the most units and gets the most coverage because the media automatically thinks they have a hit on their hands from Murder INC's track record. Thats sad when you come to think of it because the artists that deserved that recognition are getting slept on because of artists that are heavy in the game with the media at the present time. Give these new labels and artists another year or two and watch their decrease in popularity when another commercially viable fad comes along, they'll fade out and probably stop making music due to lack of sales, but watch the artists who are consistent with their quality material, they'll still be making great music because thats what they do. Now the people who have been sleeping can get off their lazy's arses and look for these artists or they can just wait on the next fad to come along and jump on the bandwagon (like a majority of the people who support commercial hip-hop seem to do). People need to become more open minded when it comes to hip-hop and stop relying on the charts and the biased media to tell them what to think and buy.

If that makes sense to anyone  ;D

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Funkadelic

Re: sRe: Why do sales matter so much?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2002, 03:35:03 AM »
i guess before some1 signs a deal with a label they are also talking about promotion (promo-plans, promo-budgets) for upcoming releases...perhaps snoop wasnt out for big promotion...who knows. i doesnt surprise me that the doggy style allstars release only sold few copies cause this release isnt as good as i thought it will be, but thats just my opinion. i hope the upcoming dogghouse albums will be better...with or without promotions (i dont care about promotions).

Same here. But sales are important. MCA will drop DoggyStyle Records, when they don't earn enough money through them. That's why sales are important.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2002, 03:45:29 AM »

But sales are important. MCA will drop DoggyStyle Records, when they don't earn enough money through them. That's why sales are important.

Yeah, thats basically it in a nutshell. But as far as quality goes, truely speaking sales mean nothing.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Funkadelic

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2002, 03:52:07 AM »
>= link=board=general;num=1030007373;start=0#7 date=08/22/02 at 08:45:29]

Yeah, thats basically it in a nutshell. But as far as quality goes, truely speaking sales mean nothing.

I also don't care about sales. The problem is that when the sales aren't right, the record company will go bankrupt. And that's not about quality.

themovie

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2002, 04:07:04 AM »
The problem is:if the sales arent right the executives arent satisfied! Snoop's new album will be out for priority records, we will see a snoop solo album on mca records probably in the 2004/2005,and if all the doggystyle solo releases (e white,kokane,soopafly,la toyia williams) will suffer of lack of sales like this one,i'm pretty sure doggystyle records will be dropped from mca,cuz they cant keep on their label 4 or 5 artist that dont sell only cuz when snoop will drop a solo album will sell million of copies.
Its sad,but with this debut i think doggystyle records will be dropped from mca .  :-[ :(
If they didnt promote the album well couldn't be their (mca) fault for sure,maybe they have thought it wasnt the case to spend a lot of money to promote this album.
If snoop likes this album dont means they like it too!

Snoop in the last couple of days was on MTV TRL and BET 106&Park,WHY the doggystyle all stars weren't with him to promote the compilation ? ? ? ? ? ?
This is not an mca fault!

themovie

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2002, 04:45:04 AM »
Doggys angels debut album is an example....after that one  ::)
We would see a bad azz album every year if his albums sold
400/500.000 copies on every release.
U know what i mean ?

budsmokeronly

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2002, 04:57:48 AM »
I want the artists to sell a lot of albums because when they make a dope album I think they really deserve it.  I mean how do you think Warren, Kurupt, and Nate feel when their albums sell jack shit, yet artists like Nelly, or Britney Spears, of the backstreet boys are selling millions when their records are crap.  I personally would be extremely mad and frustrated.  Also pointed out above, artists get discouraged and don't want to make more albums when their other ones do shitty.  One other reason, they do commercial song and collab with shitty well known artists to try and get attention.  Example: Music and Me, Space Boogie.

Nosak

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Half Dogg,Half Monkey..Bitch! Donkey Kong
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2002, 06:05:05 AM »
they want artist to be richer, but than they be jealous and starts hatin, dawm people
snoop dogg - "i don't fuck with the pocus everybody
knows this , i fuck with the chronic cause the chronic
gives me dopeness"                                   

- Look here bitch you're fine and i dig your style...-

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2002, 06:37:23 AM »
Actually if you look at the Billboard charts most of the rap albums are from the South. The East isn't selling as much. Only their heavy hitters like Nas, Jay-Z and Ja Rule are selling.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2002, 09:26:11 AM »

I don't care about sales. The problem is that when the sales aren't right, the record company will go bankrupt. And that's not about quality.

Yeah, that's the problem especially with shit released over majors, if the album's a flop the artist(s) who made it might not be able to make a follow-up and that's why I do care about sales of good albums