Author Topic: the real state of hip hop.  (Read 508 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: the real state of hip hop.
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2005, 04:01:27 PM »
I would call Neptunes experiemental because they started the whole, no samples, trend. They actually use live instruments which was unheard of before them, with the exception of Dr. Dre using live drums during his Ruthless days. Neptunes though change the producing game, along with Swizz Beatz using no samples and a keyboard. The movement hit full stride when Dr. Dre released 2001, using the same techniques. The greatest rap producer of all time using these new ideas, that was the sign that the movement has started. I think that counts.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2005, 04:02:26 PM »
Digable Planets

For no reason. They're one of the most creative hip-hop acts of the '90s. Their first album's a classic hip-hop record.

I liked them too. But I remember people hating. It's all debatable.

The New Pollution

• Lil Geezy
  • > You
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2005, 04:03:21 AM »
They actually use live instruments which was unheard of before them

Not really. Experimental=doing something no one has ever done before. In music, of course. People used real instruments before - as you know. So the outcome of their music was pretty predictable. I wish more producers would switch to real drums and bass guitars, though. They sound much better than drum computers.

Besides, Stetsasonic, Beasties, The Goat and The Roots, all used real instruments before The Neptunes did. Even Digable Planets did on their second album.

The New Pollution

• Lil Geezy
  • > You
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2005, 04:04:06 AM »
Digable Planets

For no reason. They're one of the most creative hip-hop acts of the '90s. Their first album's a classic hip-hop record.

I liked them too. But I remember people hating. It's all debatable.

Well, they were a bunch of weirdos. But same can be said about De La Soul. They were hated, too.

-Euthanasia-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2005, 04:40:52 AM »
Nickel Bag of Funk

C-Swift

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2005, 02:46:20 PM »
Heads forget that everything in hip-hop has been either talked about if not done before so that's why cats feel it's dead but the more ya complain the less shit changes, it's weak shit on both ends of the mainstream and underground, plus it's all about what sells even though no MC wants to rap for free at all, I sure as hell wouldn't but I wouldn't sell out to make it

rafsta

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2005, 05:45:56 PM »
^^^ good point, but not all rappers do it for a career, they do it as a hobby, a past time.

Fathom

• 'G'
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2005, 06:07:51 PM »
Why does commercialization piss you off so much?  You obviouly still listen to it or else you wouldn't or shouldn't be posting on here.  So explain to me why commercialization is such a bad thing.

rafsta

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2005, 05:49:03 PM »
^^^ it was spur of the moment emotion... i had a bad run of seein bullshit on T.V, bullshit news, and bullshit hip hop in general.

mainly what im gettin at is the whole artists speaking on other artists, its like a big gossip false reality big brother thats attached itself to hip hop... just keep it music.