Author Topic: Who here bumped Chronic when it CAME OUT in 92?  (Read 616 times)

teecee

Who here bumped Chronic when it CAME OUT in 92?
« on: August 15, 2002, 12:21:23 AM »
I am just wondering how many of ya'll actually experienced this album when it dropped....same as Doggystyle, Regulate, etc.  I mean, we all know these are some of the greatest releases ever...... i think it is hard to have the utmost appreciation for an album unless you heard it when it dropped (and not 10 years later)....for example, i only got into Public enemy's early stuff like 5 years ago, and i think its dope (but i'm sure someone who LIVED that music when it first dropped likes it a lot more)....

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Dope Money Clean

Re: Who here bumped Chronic when it CAME OUT in 92
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2002, 12:35:22 AM »

ummmmm    I   did.      

Don't make me feel   old  now.    ;D

gFuNkA

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2002, 12:41:42 AM »
i bought it the day it comes into stores...i wasnt so deep into the rap genre...just heard digital underground, public enemy, ice-t, n.w.a., professor griff...and the usual stuff on mtv before i grabbed this release....for me it was something new...fresh  sound and dope flows. Then i saw the video to the track "Deep Cover" and i was like shiiiit, thats hot, who´s this guy named snoop doggy dogg? i never really recognized him on dre´s chronic. snoop´s doggystyle release was really hyped right here...big posters in every record store. i grabbed it and this album is still one of my favourites.

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2002, 12:43:08 AM »
nope....... kinda strange.

i was a eazy fan, an NWA fan, cypress, ice-t and then a snoop fan when doggystyle dropped... and then regulate.

i heard the chronic once a bit later a (must have been 1994/1995) at someones house, but didnt pay attention. really. didnt cop it quite a few years later. was more interested in finding a copy of the murder was the case video back then - that lowrider shit had me amazed back then... took 6 years to find a copy! (now i got 2 vhs/dvd hehe)

southbound

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Take it DEEP!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2002, 12:43:42 AM »
shit i did... when i was like 10 i would sneak and listen to too shorts life is tape.. then deathrow came and i was a lil older and the shit was so dope man... hard to explain the feelings from back then but i wish bomb music would drop like that again

o g s u e s o n e

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2002, 01:59:54 AM »
i was 16 when the chronic dropped. btw i bought every fuckin deathrow release the day it dropped...lol. thats the reason why i have the chronic were "bitches aint shit" is listed as track no.4 on the backcover (dont have seen much of them nowadays) and the doggstyle with "gz up hoez down" + a gang of other shit from that period.

AfterMathematics

• 'G'
  • West Coast Represent for all y'all
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2002, 03:02:41 AM »
I was 15 when the Chronic dropped. The album kinda flew under the radar for a few months...It was a late '92 release, but it didn't really start showing up on the Billboard until a few months later when G-Thang was all over the place. I picked it up before it really started heating up the charts cuz I was an NWA fan, and I remember being surprised it wasn't on Ruthless. Of course, the Intro and Dre Day pretty much cleared that one up.

I didn't hear Deep Cover, so I still remember the first Snoop verse I heard.."Bow wow wow yippee yo yippee yay Doggy Dogg's in the MF'in house..." I also remember looking in the album cover, and thinking Snoop Doggy Dogg was a retarded name (In the age of Ice Cube, MC Ren, etc). Of course, Snoop then became the biggest name in rap, with the most anticipated album of all time. I remember they kept pushing Doggystyle's release date back, pissing everyone off...Now I know it's cuz they didn't finish the thing. Back then I thought it was some kind of a marketing ploy to make people anticipate it more.

This is a dope topic dogg...Haven't thought about this in awhile.    

tnp

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2002, 03:57:40 AM »
Yeah I was 16 when the Chronic dropped, got it the day after it came out. I was on the lookout because of that Source article (the one with Dre pointing a gun at his head) I was really looking forward to Mr. Officer (damn!). And Doggystyle, I took the day off work and got to the local mall an hour before Camelot opened! I can't ever imagine another rap album getting the kind of hype from the mainstream that Doggystyle did, and Death Row was great at feeding into that hype (extra  lines on Let Me Ride remix and generally keeping him very visible). That was an era when Cube's "Predator" could debut at No. 1 on the pop charts...

peace,
tnp

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2002, 04:22:29 AM »
20 when it dropped and of course.. I was waiting out front of The Warehouse.. 10am for the doors to open so I could buy it

Ax
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure..
~Theodore Roosevelt

teecee

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2002, 04:28:46 AM »
I am not saying we are more REAL fans just because we experienced that shit when it dropped, i am just saying that a lot of people on this board only have a small idea about the Chronic and Doggystyle.........no matter how dope you think those albums are.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2002, 04:49:17 AM »
It was my brother that bumped The Chronic first (I still have the copy to this day). I used to listen to it when he would bump it in the house but I never really got into hip-hop/rap seriously until Snoop's "Doggystyle" and 2Pac's "Strictly For My N.I.G.G.A.Z" dropped. I was like 9-10 when "The Chronic" dropped so I was just amused by all the swearing and shit, lol. I often wish I was the age I am now when Dre was about with N.W.A., because you can't really appreciate records properly (lyrics, production etc) when your that young.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Fashizzle

• 'G'
  • I love chronic!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2002, 04:52:22 AM »
bumped both chronic and doggystyle the year they came out!
oh yes...

Nosak

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Half Dogg,Half Monkey..Bitch! Donkey Kong
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2002, 05:39:28 AM »
i do ..... but doggystyle came over it pretty fast if u ask me...
snoop dogg - "i don't fuck with the pocus everybody
knows this , i fuck with the chronic cause the chronic
gives me dopeness"                                   

- Look here bitch you're fine and i dig your style...-

Young Dan Iza

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2002, 05:50:44 AM »
damn this is makin me old kinda,....
my sister used 2 work at a record store so she picked the cassette up for me,hmm 10 years ago damn i was about 11 years old, but i gotta give my bro the props for gettin me hooked on that shit back then....i also bought doggystyle on cassette the first week, it had gz up hoez down on it,,,,its said cuz alot of the fools are this board where like 4 when the chronic dropped

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2002, 06:13:02 AM »

Word homie......

I was a (15 year old) stubborn kid tho, like most peep's on here are now.
I had beef with Dre because of his leaving my favorite group eva. (Funny how I had no beef wit' my fav "MC" Cube tho...lol)
Anyway I avoided Dre for the first week it came out, but curiosity won that out in a hurry.

Plus am I the only one who had to adjust to Dre rapping?
At first he sounded like he was yelling n' shit, He was aiiight on "Efil4zaggiN" but his pitch was a lil' hightone for my like...so I figured "The Chronic" was going to be a ear buster like ughh!!
Plus let the record show that "Deep cover" was not an instant banger like most claim to think, "N.W.A." fan's expected more.
But STill my love for the "N.W.A." fam ran way to deep.
So I copped the "Deep cover" soundtrack & "The Chronic" a week after it hit shelves.....and was introduced to The inmates.

Tight topic
Yeah homie I LIVED it dogg

Peace
Hatesrats 2oo2