Author Topic: Republicans launch assault on American Universities  (Read 134 times)

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Republicans launch assault on American Universities
« on: March 23, 2005, 09:19:43 AM »
Republicans in FL today approved a bill that gives students the right to sue professors for political, religious, or ideological bias in teaching.

From a FL newspaper:

"Students that say, `I don't believe the Holocaust happened. I believe that birth control is a sin. I think that prayer is a way to deal with illness rather than medical intervention.' All of those people (would) have standing to go to the courts" if college professors discussed those broad topics without addressing their particular concerns, said Rep. Dan Gelber, D-Miami Beach.

House Bill 837's sponsor, Ocala Republican Rep. Dennis Baxley, disagreed forcefully, saying conservatives are targets of "persecution" on campus. Baxley recalled his first day in an anthropology class at Florida State University when the professor said, "Evolution is a fact. There's no missing link. I don't want to hear any talk about intelligent design and if you don't like that, there's the door.

---

Again, conservatives should be proud that people like this hijacked the political power of the republican party to cater to crazy evangelicals that hate science.  The guy who sponsored the bill basically implied he thinks students should have the right to sue if a professor tells them point blank creationism is not a scientific theory.  Regardless of whether any potential lawsuits stand up in courts... this law opens the doors for students to challenge professors with legal action whenever there is a disagreement in the classroom.  I've had conservative professors and liberal professors I've disagreed with in the past, but I've never once thought I deserved the right to sue because a professor shared his personal ideology in a classroom setting.

And i've had plenty of professors offer political commentary that is both liberal and conservative... but how can you expect a professor not to have some sort of bias.  Sure in spanish class its probably innappropriate for the teacher to talk about how he bates Bush, but does it really matter?  All this law does is open up the floodgates for academic terrorism (republicans seem to like to call all different kinds of problems terrorism now i.e. judicial terrorism).  The bill has not become law yet, but it is expected to be.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Re: Republicans launch assault on American Universities
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 09:40:42 AM »
This is nothing new. Daniel Pipes has been encouraging little Englewoods all over the United States to rat out their professors for years.

www.campus-watch.org
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Republicans launch assault on American Universities
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 11:34:05 AM »
This is nothing new. Daniel Pipes has been encouraging little Englewoods all over the United States to rat out their professors for years.

www.campus-watch.org

ya i know... but this bill might actually get passed.