Author Topic: A band I gotta give props to.....  (Read 185 times)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
A band I gotta give props to.....
« on: March 24, 2005, 05:38:00 AM »

Yup. I don´t know the stuff before Dookie (various EP´s, "Kerplunk" and "39/Smooth", they started out very young), but "Dookie" is my favorite "punk" album...it might not be the raw hardcore and it´s simple music, but it´s nevertheless a masterpiece IMO. The lyrics are the shit, a friend of mine told me to pay attention to that, it´s really the best fucking depiction of teenage apathy i ever got to know. i love that album

"Insomniac" and "Nimrod" were two great follow-ups, most of it sounded a bit rawer than "Dookie" to me, and while they´re not as outstanding, they´re two albums i love listening to, especially "Nimrod".

Then, in 2000, they dropped "Warning" which is a great album. Some people say they "sold out", but i think that´s narrow-minded bullshit. It doesn´t sound like punk alot anymore, instead of sticking to some formula, they experimented and dropped a great creative album. Listen to tracks like "Misery" or "Blood, Sex and Booze" for example, that shit´s tight as hell

Now their newest album is one of the best CD´s i know from last year. It has its punk elements, but overall it´s just a good rock album which is nothing we´re being flooded with these days. "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" is one of the best combinations of good music and radio-friendliness I´ve heard in a long while and the whole album´s like that, easily accessible and musically good.

your thoughts on this band? anybody else into it? and does anybody know the pre-Dookie stuff and if yes, how is it?

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: A band I gotta give props to.....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 05:42:45 AM »
...if you wanna get into them, here´s some nice tracks to check out

Burnout
Basket Case
When I Come Around
Misery
Blood, Sex and Booze
Warning
Longview
Welcome To Paradise
Nice Guys Finish Last
Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
American Idiot
Good Riddance
Westbound Sign
Hitchin´ A Ride

etc.

'EclipZe

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 05:52:17 AM »
heard american idiot, but it's not my style  ::)

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 08:02:41 AM »
Yeah, Greenday are good.  They're not punk though, they're masters of pop music, I think they recognize this themselves.  Every single they've released has been pretty good, when Dookie came out I was just starting to get into music, and it was a very good CD.  My favorite song of theirs is "Basket Case".  Very well written, classic rock song.

"Do you have the time...
To Listen To Me Whine?
About nothing, and everything a lad wants?
I am one of those
Melodramatic fools
Neurotic to the bone, no doubt about it!
Sometimes I give myself the creeps
Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me
It al keeps addin' up
I think I'm crackin' up
Now, am I just paranoid, or am I just stoned?"

Video was hot too. 

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 08:20:27 AM »
ima download dookie and american  idiot, but i like them, time of your life is just remarkable

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 08:59:33 AM »
Yeah, Greenday are good.  They're not punk though, they're masters of pop music, I think they recognize this themselves.  Every single they've released has been pretty good, when Dookie came out I was just starting to get into music, and it was a very good CD.  My favorite song of theirs is "Basket Case".  Very well written, classic rock song.
yeah, "Basket Case" is hot as hell. Well, define "punk". I put it in quotation marks, cause i do definitely see they´re not punk like the exploited or dead kennedys are punk, but the fast type of rock music they played on many of their albums is at times technically punk rock music, whether THEY are punks or not

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 11:33:15 AM »
Yeah, they're more that "Cali-Punk" sound in the same way Offspring or Bad Religion are.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 04:27:45 PM »
^^ yeah, basically they´re that kind of sound which popped up with the Cali ska/punk explosion in the early 90´s, so they´re in a similar category as Lagwagon or The Mad Caddies...it´s still a kind of "punk rock" IMO

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 06:17:52 PM »
"Do you have the time...
To Listen To Me Whine?
About nothing, and everything a lad wants?

trauma i'm not positive but i thought it was "about nothing and everything all at once

peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 09:47:56 PM »
Yeah, It probably is, I can't hardly understand the guy, lol.

Anyways, Punk is more about rebellion, and basically doing things to piss people off, and fighting the power, and all that bullshit.  It's translation into music generally consists of saying a lot of uncouth things, and making as much noise as possible, then daring anybody to say anything about it, because you're rebellious, and you don't give a fuck what they say about it, and blah blah blah tired bullshit from teenagers.

Green Day is punk in the sense that they like to be loud and obnoxious, but it's a calculated punk.  They also make sure to have great melodies that people can sing along to, and to not so much talk about themselves as to talk about universal things they imagine others in their position (or, their position before they became famous)... it's all well sang, and basically you can't knock any holes in their music, like you can so easily with punk.  You can look at a punk song and say "ergh, that's just simplistic bullshit and the guys yelling whatever the fuck he wants to into a microphone"... but with Greenday, while they're punk, they're not stupid enough to sacrifice being GOOD for it. 

Pop's not a bad word, they're just pop-punk, they have punk sensibilities, but they want very much to be popular, and know damn good and well that their music isn't obnoxious, it's infectuous.  There's nothing wrong with that, they are what they are, and they do what they do very well.  I wouldn't want them to be any different, I think they're very honest about who they are. 

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 06:50:05 AM »
Yeah, It probably is, I can't hardly understand the guy, lol.

Anyways, Punk is more about rebellion, and basically doing things to piss people off, and fighting the power, and all that bullshit.  It's translation into music generally consists of saying a lot of uncouth things, and making as much noise as possible, then daring anybody to say anything about it, because you're rebellious, and you don't give a fuck what they say about it, and blah blah blah tired bullshit from teenagers.

Green Day is punk in the sense that they like to be loud and obnoxious, but it's a calculated punk.  They also make sure to have great melodies that people can sing along to, and to not so much talk about themselves as to talk about universal things they imagine others in their position (or, their position before they became famous)... it's all well sang, and basically you can't knock any holes in their music, like you can so easily with punk.  You can look at a punk song and say "ergh, that's just simplistic bullshit and the guys yelling whatever the fuck he wants to into a microphone"... but with Greenday, while they're punk, they're not stupid enough to sacrifice being GOOD for it. 

Pop's not a bad word, they're just pop-punk, they have punk sensibilities, but they want very much to be popular, and know damn good and well that their music isn't obnoxious, it's infectuous.  There's nothing wrong with that, they are what they are, and they do what they do very well.  I wouldn't want them to be any different, I think they're very honest about who they are. 

1. Yes, it is "all at once"

2. I agree with the vast majority of what you said in your post. They´re definitely pop-punk and it is calculated music done with the intention of being good. I wouldn´t bash the type of punk which is more concerned with attitude than with music though; that type of punk is kind of a reflection of a certain lifestyle and in that sense i find it, far from being a punk myself, interesting to look at. i can´t listen to that type of music for too long though, cause i don´t identify with it and, yeah, it´s far from good from an aesthetic point of view, which Green Day is. And i wouldn´t "want them to be any different" either, but ilove how they do make creative music and, sticking with some typical elements, vary their style on every album. They blew up with "Dookie", they went beyond anything you´d call punk on some songs on "Warning", they painted an interesting picture throughout a whole album on "American Idiot", and that´s one of the reasons i love em. And Billie joel Armstrong is a skillful songwriter.

Jip

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 09:01:22 AM »
lead singer can't sing, good music tho

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 10:51:38 AM »
I made a topic about american idiot when it leaked on the net..didn't get much replies  :D
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Inspire / Moss

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.DUBCNN.com
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 05:36:21 PM »
yup, green day are the shit when im in the mood to listenin to alternative music, Dookie's definately the best album

~ Westcoast News Network ~

davida.b.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 08:29:32 PM »
Yeah, Green Day is awesome