Author Topic: 2pac's Makaveli Record To Me Is Still Shrouded In Mystery  (Read 1786 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: 2pac's Makaveli Record To Me Is Still Shrouded In Mystery
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 04:53:26 PM »
XXL had a whole article on it.

Personally, I loved the album, and thought of it as the proof of 2Pac being the greatest rapper of all time. His lyrical wordplay, mixed with contend, prophecy, and just pure Hip-Hop was without a doubt one of the most genious albums ever released. It was schedual to be called 2Pac - Makaveli the CD, and it had some ads out with unused pictures from All Eyez On Me. 2 Live and Die in LA had a actual video that 2Pac made for it, and he had very dark sounding sound bits played on Power 106 calling himself Makaveli. I wish I would have recorded them, he sounded like a ghost, not like 2Pac usually sounded. I guessing they called it the 7 Day Theory because that's how long it took to record. Some said the CD wasn't finished yet. Of course in interviews before Makaveli was recorded, 2Pac would mention his next CD was basically going to be Me Against the World 2, and I would imagion that's were most of Still I Rise came from, and songs recorded later like R U Still Down with Jon B and Unconditional Love. Who knows. But one thing is for sure, Makaveli was maybe the most fitting CD 2Pac ever recorded, and released just after he died. It was almost too much, I remember thinking back then.

Thanks for the info, I think the album was in it's completed form.  Cause I remember him saying something in an interview about his new album was for the streets, and that it was 12 tracks deep.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2005, 04:55:15 PM »
the Makaveli album IMO is one of the most complete rap records to drop.  I thought that Snoop's record dropped the week after Pac's album.  I think it dropped November 12th instead of Dec. 12th.

Yes, that was a typo, Snoop's cd was pushed back just one week to Nov. 12th, which also kind of suprised me that they would sandwich the two biggest records of the year together like that.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2005, 04:59:00 PM »
I went through the same shit you went through when it dropped although I did see the video for "Toss It Up" before the album dropped. But I went to the record shop to do my normal browsing and saw a new Pac record and was like DAMN! Copped it, didn't like it at first as a whole but loved tracks like "Hail Mary", "To Live N Die N L.A", "Krazy", etc. from jump. Now I play it start to finish. Just an incredible record. No other album has the vibe that this album brings. Well Me Against The World brings it's own vibe too but it's just as strong.

Yo.. your experience is identical to mine, those were the only 3 songs I did like from the album the day it came out.  Then about 6 months later my friend turned me onto "Hold Your Head" because he thought it was some proof of Makaveli coming back, then I got turned onto "Me And My Girlfriend", then eventually I was bumping the album from start to finish.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2005, 05:08:37 PM »
Co-sign West Coast veteran and hip hop is dead.

I remember when I bought the tape I didn't really like it at first, but I liked White Man's World and Live and Die in LA from jump. Like some of yall, I was expecting that smooth g-funk type sound that All Eyes on Me had and this album instead had such a dark, ominous feel to it.

I appreciate this album much more now and can see what makes this album so great. It was raw, pure and heartfelt. The essence of hip hop at its purest was caught with this album. Songs like Blasphemy, Hold Your Head and Krazy are just riveting, there are just so many priceless quotes in almost all the songs on this album.

"They say my ghetto instrumentals detrimental to kids
As if they can't see the misery in which they live"

"Currency means nothing if you still ain't free
Money breeds envy take the game from me"

This album is a work of art.

Co-sign.  Too many quotables, I'm going to post some up later.

Alot of popular radio songs were inspired by quotes from this album.  From Jay-Z's rip-off of "Me And My Girlfriend" to Ice Cube and Short Kopp's "Pushin Wieght", the "Yeah, Yeah" was taken from the opening track, CMurder did a rip-off of "Against All Odds".

....even just recently I was reading an article in the Source about the song "Against All Odds" some of the references didn't make sense to me, but now I realize that some of the names in the song are references to the people who robbed him and set him up, "Gun Shots to Tut", etc.

Also, that is pretty eerie how the first sounds you hear on the album sound like "Suge Shot Him".  There are alot of theories about this record, but obviously Suge didn't shoot him, because Suge got also shot himself during Pac's assasination.

acbaylove

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2005, 05:26:11 PM »
The album was supposed to be an EP. Then they added the infamous intro and some other tracks from that session. Listen to Krazy, and at the end Pac says "3 Day Theory"..

Trauma-san

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2005, 05:49:46 PM »
IBN, It's all a big conspiracy by whitey to hold 'Pac down.  Somehow. 

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2005, 06:09:10 PM »
see this album was hella nice. it wasnt none of that ima thug, fuck biggie, mob bullshiet like "All Eyez On Me".

no it was the fuck puffy, fuck dre, fuck mobb deep, fuck nas record

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2005, 08:32:20 PM »
Yeah, I remember gettin' this after school.  Mo Thugs Family Scriptures dropped the same day.  I played the hell outta that one.  Couldn't get in to the Makaveli album...it was too different.  Over time I began to love it, and now it's my 2nd favorite album of all time.  It was ahead of its time.  Imagine the level Pac would be at today.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2005, 08:45:51 PM »
Yeah, I remember gettin' this after school.  Mo Thugs Family Scriptures dropped the same day.  I played the hell outta that one.  Couldn't get in to the Makaveli album...it was too different.  Over time I began to love it, and now it's my 2nd favorite album of all time.  It was ahead of its time.  Imagine the level Pac would be at today.

No doubt it was ahead of it's time.  It's an album that grows on you and gets better with time.  It was the perfect album for him to leave us with. 

Vegasmac25

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2005, 11:43:08 PM »
I think the reason the album was never promoted was because it had a Pac on the cross.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2005, 12:18:12 AM »
see this album was hella nice. it wasnt none of that ima thug, fuck biggie, mob bullshiet like "All Eyez On Me".

"Hold Ya Head" is my favorite 2Pac track

i wouldn't call All Eyez On Me bullshit considering it's the best selling rap album of all time

is it?  ^^^^

i didnt call the whole album bullshiet, just a lot of it. but my second favorite 2Pac track "Holla At Me" is on there

and no its not the best selling rap album of all time. the fugees and mc hammer both topped it

and didnt "The Eminem Show" end up selling 19 mill?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2005, 12:53:48 AM »
no disrespect to pac, but i feel cats are slightly overstating the importance and significance of the makaveli album because it dropped right after he died.

pac was a great artist, and makaveli is a great album.  but among the greatest albums ever?  no.  greater than most?  hell yeah.

similarly, pac definitely had meaning in his lyrics, and moreso than most; it just seems like people tried harder to overstate the significance of his lyrics due to his popularity.

sort of like how the source gave away 5 mics to an artist that died and admitted the death had an influence.  but nowhere near as egregious an act as most of pac's accolades are deserved.

as far as the production on makaveli being different, remember; when pac got out of prison he jacked all the hottest tracks cats on death row were working on and got a couple additional tracks as well.  that was a quick death row album thrown together.  the beats he had and sounds he had on makaveli are very consistent with some of the sounds he had on "me against the world" or even "strictly 4 my niggaz".   brighter g-funkish tracks like "me against the world", "heavy in the game", "i get around" were typically the exception to the rule, and not the norm as they were on "all eyes on me"
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

acbaylove

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2005, 02:18:37 AM »
I disagree. I mean maybe Pac's death influenced this album, but it's not a negative thing. I mean all them theories about Pac being alive ("Suge shot me", "I'll return in 7days..", "3 day theory", the cover of the album, the name Makaveli, etc..) contribuited to make this album an album with something mysterious, maybe prophetic. The intro ("2Pac, excuse me Makaveli, is not available for comments, but he released this statement..") ("it's not about East or West, it's all about niggaz and bitches...") is wonderful, expecially considering he just passed away.. plus he calls out a lot of rappers in that cd, from Xzibit (not a real diss) to Nas. Then there are CRAZY tracks, like Blasphemy! Shit, Pac went crazy on that track!!! Just listen to the shit he said!! Naaaa.. it's a cristalline 5 mics for me, in my top 10 ever easly. And easly the best Pac album ever with Me Against The World. I didnt like at all All Eyez On Me! That was, like you said, a "different" Pac, not the deep Pac i loved.

acbaylove

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2005, 02:53:53 AM »
lol i was just listening to Guce's new album, and the intro is the same one on Makaveli with changed words.. ;D

Sikotic™

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2005, 03:50:55 AM »
It's my favorite Pac record and to me in the top 5 rap records
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE