Author Topic: check the snoop interview  (Read 298 times)

jwonder

• 'G'
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

lbc213

Re: check the snoop interview
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2002, 03:49:54 AM »
thx 4 the link

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2002, 03:56:32 AM »
Every coach needs a strong team. That's why rap icon Snoop Dogg assembled the hard-hitting Doggy Style Allstars, an impressive cast of veteran acts and up-and-coming talent set to change the course of modern music with a little guidance from hip-hop's top Dogg.

"Now is the right time for his label to be established," says rapper-producer Soopafly, a long-time Snoop Dogg collaborator. "He's paid his dues and he's been through it. Nobody can say he's taken the easy route. Everything that he's earned, he's deserved."

Indeed, Snoop's musical savvy shines throughout Welcome To The House Vol. 1. By showcasing a bevy of Los Angeles-based talent, as well as some of the best rappers and producers from across America, the gritty, brag-heavy compilation stands as one of the few modern-day rap albums that will appeal to hip-hop fans from every section of the country.

"Instead of concentrating on just a West Coast-oriented sound, Snoop wanted to go at a different angle," Mr. Kane explains. "He sat down with us and told us that he wanted to f**k with motherf**kers in New York, Cincinnati and all across the map so that it would be a well-rounded compilation. I would call it a communion of All-Stars."

Mr. Kane, who was featured prominently on Snoop Dogg's critically acclaimed, double-Platinum Tha Last Meal in 2000, also delivers a string of phenomenal performances on the compilation including "The Strong Will Eat The Weak" and "Light That Sh*t Up." The Pomona, CA, singer-rapper's stirring vocals draw from Parliament, Prince and his own genius to create a classic sound deep-rooted in funk.

"It's that neo-funk," Kane says. "We're putting in some major work. Some people stay in the same frame as far as music. With us, it's a different thing. We're growing with the music and it's coming out right."

One soldier who stood with Snoop Dogg during the rough times was RBX, who is featured alongside Snoop Dogg, E-White and Soopafly on the wickedly delightful "Tell It Like It Is." "We blaze a trail," snarls RBX, who was first featured on Dr. Dre's landmark The Chronic. "Without us on your team you fail," he adds for effect.

With daring musical and lyrical reach, Welcome To The Dogghouse Vol. 1 entrenches Snoop Dogg's status as hip-hop's leading creative voice. One who can bring the best out of his friends and associates. Snoop proves once again that he's ahead of the musical curve.

"Catch me if you can," Snoop Dogg himself taunts any doubters on "Tell It Like It Is." Indeed, it won't be easy keeping up with Snoop Dogg and his Doggy Style Allstars.

Snoop Dogg and his homie, Big Daddy Lee Almighty, chopped it up fo' a few and it went a lil' sumthin' like this....

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2002, 03:56:45 AM »
Tell me about Doggy Style All Stars' Welcome to the House. Vol. 1 ?

I was getting ready to drop a record on one of my artists, but I felt like it would be like throwing them into the water with some sharks. So I figured out a way to put all of them together on a record so the whole world could see what I have to offer, and make it as diverse as possible, because the record label I have now has such a diverse roster that I didn't know how to express it in just one project until the idea popped into my head of doing a compilation. I thought it would be great to do an all-star compilation Lp. Once we started the recording process at my new studio, The Church, we were so pleased with the outcome that we decided this would be a great way to individually jump-start everyone's career and/or upcoming project. This way, the record-buying public would be able to hear 'em and feel 'em before their projects actually came out.

What was the screening process in finding new acts such as Latoiya Williams?

Ms. Williams was brought to me by Soopafly. He was already working with her. And when I heard her I was so impressed that I told Soopafly that we needed to do a full-fledged project on her. So I signed her through him. E. White was actually one of my homeboys from Long Beach that I never knew could rap until one of my homies let me hear a CD with him on it. Mr. Kane had been with me for a couple of years and we had already had a plan about what we were going to do with him. The rest of the artists just fell in like chips on a table. I didn't even go looking for them. They just fell in.

What's up with Quade Harris?

That's my dogg. He's one of the top doggs on my production team.

I see you've got Meech on here.

Yeah, Meech Wells, Battle Cat; I've even got the Lady Of Rage and RBX as well.

You have Lady Of Rage on there?!

Yeah, you knew I was gonna go back and scoop her up. She has a solo song on the compilation as well, which is produced by Premier, that's really hot.

I always wondered what happened to Rage.

Her spirits were really down after Death Row. But, you know me, I love to go back and replenish those souls--like Gatorade.

Is she actually signed to Doggy Style Records?

Yes, she is signed to me for like three or four records. I also have her on my new project, a song titled "Batman And Robin."

Do we have Cam'ron and Lady May on the Allstars compilation too?

Exactly, they're friends of mine. I like to make my records with worldwide appeal. Cam'ron and Lady May came by The Church and blessed me with a verse.

How did you go about getting Prodigy and Special Ed?

Those are my doggs. I went to New York and set up two weeks of studio time. I called everyone I knew and told them where I was and they came through and blessed me.

That's a beautiful thing. What is your hope for this Doggy Style Allstars Lp?

My hope is to get everybody exposed; to get everybody out there, just to let people know I do have a full-fledged record label, and that all of these artists are strong enough to stand on their own two feet.

Do you have any favorites on the record album?

Oh, yeah. There's a song on here called "Trouble" by one of my artists from D.C., a kid named Vinny Bernard. He is so special. I also have a song on there called, "I Just Get Carried Away," produced by DJ Scratch. It's a cold record as well. There are a lot of good records on there. It's so diverse, so many unlike sounds. There are singing songs, R&B songs, and songs that just touch your soul.

Are you coining the phrase neo-funk now?

Oh, yeah, you already know it, babe. That's what I'm doing.

How long did it take to put this project together?

It took approximately two months to get it right.

Are things going as planned or better than planned?

I think they're going better than planned because everybody is enthused about it. We're getting a lot of orders for the records. It's just a great thing and everybody's into it before it's even done.

The first single is....

Actually its three songs. It's Latoiya Williams' "Falling Star"; there's a song we call "Doh' Doh'"; and then there's a song we call, "Night Locs," which features Mr. Kane, Quaze and myself.

Is there a reason why Kokane is going by Mr. Kane now?

Yeah, we just switched it from Kokane to Mr. Kane so his name wouldn't be like a drug. We've got kids that buy our records as well, so we had to lighten it up for them.

Of all the records that are on there, how are they set up in terms of subject matter?

You've really got to listen to the record. It's like a whole movie, if you ask me. It starts off with an intro to let you know what you're going to get into, and then it takes you on a journey, on a ride, all the way through.

What do you think sets this project apart from all the others that are out there right now?

I don't think that anything else is as diverse as this. This compilation sounds more like a soundtrack to me. It's actually not a sound track, but it is a sound track to a lifestyle, to the way we live and how we do what we do. You aren't going to find anybody printing records like this because it's so diverse. There's something for grandparents, for little kids, and something for middle-aged people as well. It's just a hot record.

Obviously you're excited about Latoiya Williams.

Very excited. It's like Aretha Franklin all over again. Damn. When you hear this girl's voice, oh my goodness, and she's straight out of the church house too. She be singing live on the spot, with a mike or without a mike, how ever you want it.

You said Aretha Franklin....

I bullshit you not. I know that's a strong statement to make, but when you hear her voice you're going to tell me the same thing.

I know we are concentrating on the album, and I don't want to go too far ahead, but do you have any plans set in motion, such as which of the artists from the compilation is going to be the next spin off, or who's going to be the next act to have a full length album?

We're probably going to come with Mr. Kane first because he's the most ready. We'll probably turn the corner with him after the first of the year, and then we're going to come back with Latoiya Williams because she's featured on a couple of songs on my album that are going to be singles. Then we'll come back with Soopafly and E. White, and just let the chips fall where they may.

How many artists are signed to the label right now?

I've got about 15 artists and 12 producers. And they're all hot, all on top of the line; real tough.

Are you ready for that, man?

Nope! (Laughs)

That's a lot of folks.

I'm not really ready, but I'm getting ready. You know how it is when you've got your mind and spirit right and you're doing the right thing. I took off from smoking for about a month now, so I'm just trying to get my head straight and do what I do.

That's beautiful. I support you in that. So, what's the plan for radio with these three songs?

We're trying to take one to the mix shows, one to the R&B stations, and one to hip-hop stations. We're trying to spread it all the way around. That's why the record is so diverse, it's not just one style, ya dig?

INTERVIEW BY BIG DADDY LEE ALMIGHTY

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2002, 03:57:18 AM »
'neo-funk' huh.. hmmm

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2002, 04:02:06 AM »
I took off from smoking for about a month now, so I'm just trying to get my head straight and do what I do.

*Falls Off Chair*

:o

Good Interview - Cheers For The Link

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

budsmokeronly

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2002, 06:06:59 AM »
Lady of Rage signed for 3 or 4 albums- thats dope news.

15 artists signed:

soopafly
kokane
e white
lady of rage
Daz
Latoya Williams
Vinnie Bernard
RBX???( I sure hope so)

thats 8 who else?
Twins????
Eastsidaz????
Butch Cassidy????
Warren G????

Braindead

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2002, 06:47:31 AM »
I hope RBX is signed somewhere even if it doesnt automatically mean that an album will come out lol
we should know by taking a look at the credits.

TOOTHBRUSH

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • dpg production
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2002, 08:35:42 AM »

I took off from smoking for about a month now, so I'm just trying to get my head straight and do what I do.

wow know wonder he had such tight rhymes on there

and he's probably counting

soopa
latoya w
mr kane
e white
goldie loc
tray deee
kola
chan
daz
lady of rage
rbx
vinnie bernard
maybee nate and warren for 213

and remember those could be artist contracts too where they have to guest spot on a certain amount of albums..............
"its tha pimp of tha crew soopafly comin through wit a dick and a couple balls just to name a few"-soopafly

Woodrow

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2002, 08:56:40 AM »

*Falls Off Chair*

:o

Good Interview - Cheers For The Link

Ugh... I just had a bad thought....

Does anybody remember that post a while back about Snoop having cancer? I REALLY hope the 2 arent related...

themovie

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2002, 09:02:05 AM »
Who are the 12 producers and the 15 artists ? ? ?

E.white,soopafly,kokane,la toiya and then  ????

Rage is signed to doggystyle records for 3 or 4 records ?
What's up with that ?