Author Topic: Who ruined hip-hop the most in the late 90's?  (Read 1273 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Who ruined hip-hop the most in the late 90's?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2005, 03:54:32 PM »
Nice discussion, there were a lot of good answers to the question.  I agree with the cat above who said Orlando Anderson.  Because if it hadn't of been for 2pac's death, Jay-Z and alot of wack East Coast artists probably would have never seen the success that he did. 

By the way, the question was who? not what?   Some people answered and described "what" they thought ruined hip-hop.  I was really referring to a rapper or rappers, but it's all good, it's been a good discussion.  Like that one cat who said that Label mergers ruined hip-hop I definitely agree with that, it stunted the creativity of hip-hop.  Because now you got to have one of the superpower labels behind you to stand out in this watered hip-hop game.  Another cat said money, no doubt.  I'm going to mention something nobody else mentioned.  Illegal downloading.  College kids sitting in their dorm rooms all day downloading 1,000 songs a week and never buying one album.  This may not ruin Eminem's carear, but rappers like Ras Kass or Canibus can't survive 200,000 of their record sales being illegally downloaded.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2005, 04:10:14 PM »
but do you really think that college kid download that many copies of ras kass or canibus? they be lucky if the number was that high. its probably round 1,000 copies

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2005, 04:15:59 PM »
Hip-hop wasn't ruined in the late 90s but hip-hop did start to become very commercialize in 1997 and that's thanks to Puffy.

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2005, 04:17:17 PM »
whoever shot Pac ruined hip hop
NO MORE WAR

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2005, 04:20:12 PM »
eminem, he bought a bunch of dumb white muthafuckaz to the scene who dont know shit about hiphop, who only bump eminem, n then he comes with these wack 1st singles, that only gets played on radio, therefore everyone tryna make the same 1st radio friendly single, which fuckin up everyone

nah truth is nobody is fuckin up hiphop apart from the new muthafuckaz or next muthafuckaz who dont understand the culture..

a cat who aint got no respect for those who made the foundations of hiphop aint shit, thats to both todays artists and fans...

and obviously money.......niggaz get some bread n go different routes they came up from..

but speakin of all that, aint hardly anything else but hiphop get check from me still, new and old

peace

westkoastanostra

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2005, 09:41:04 PM »
eminem, he bought a bunch of dumb white muthafuckaz to the scene who dont know shit about hiphop, who only bump eminem, n then he comes with these wack 1st singles, that only gets played on radio, therefore everyone tryna make the same 1st radio friendly single, which fuckin up everyone

nah truth is nobody is fuckin up hiphop apart from the new muthafuckaz or next muthafuckaz who dont understand the culture..

a cat who aint got no respect for those who made the foundations of hiphop aint shit, thats to both todays artists and fans...

and obviously money.......niggaz get some bread n go different routes they came up from..

but speakin of all that, aint hardly anything else but hiphop get check from me still, new and old

peace

say wut u gotta say about eminem but i think he didnt ruin hip-hop....cuz even thou he brings funny ass 1st singles...he didnt switch to bling bling and club bangin trax and all that shit thats killin' hip-hop... instead he brought lyrical shit and emotional tracks to listen to....something that not too many commercial rappers would and still dont do ....who gives a fuck if he's white ....i think its good that a white boy is on top...and just proves that anyone can make it and anyone can have skills...but who i think ruined hip-hop was p.diddy ....dude cant rap...and instead rapped about money and shit...which is wuts going on today

bigdogg2001

• 'G'
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2005, 10:09:38 PM »
p diddy of  course. but he made a lot of money fucking it up.

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2005, 11:04:35 PM »

Ya I think puffy started the trend with all the bling and shiny shit and other rappers and stuff saw him makin all this money by doing that, and realized they could make that much money if they just do the same thing...thats why randomly in the video for Hate Me Now nas is wearing a shiny ass suit just like puffy doing the same stuff (although the track is dope)

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2005, 11:11:29 PM »
the mainstreaming ???

Tay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Bay Area Representative
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2005, 11:16:42 PM »
Nobody ruined hip-hop, the true shit has not been brought down altho several wack rappers and the industry have tried. its the rappers and fans who love hip-hop who keep it goin strong.
I got a bird's eye view

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2005, 05:49:29 AM »

Everyone keeps saying P Diddy.  P Diddy didn't ruin hip-hop!  Bad Boy was one of the illest labels in the 90's.  Puffy's first solo album, No Way Out, is classic.  That is a full album that carries a mood and sound from top to bottom. 
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

-Euthanasia-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2005, 06:29:03 AM »
Mac Dre and Big Boi from Outkast

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2005, 06:45:53 AM »
nice responses hence to the different ways you interpret stuff. good thread. as good as 2pac is, he heavily contributed to the downfall of hiphop. that doesnt always imply that his music sucked. you also shouldnt forget about the fact that he engineered that ridiculous east/west beef, even if he didnt mean it to be and to end this way. also, he stomped on orlando first.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

-Euthanasia-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2005, 06:46:52 AM »
who hasnt?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2005, 06:48:25 AM »
who hasnt?

lol.. -Euthanasia- is definitely my favorite poster in here.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin