Author Topic: Beach Boys Discography  (Read 495 times)

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
Beach Boys Discography
« on: April 07, 2005, 05:17:02 PM »
Can someone name all of the Beach Boys albums?

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: Beach Boys Discography
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 05:33:08 PM »
no, but i have sounds of summer and pet sounds, and i love em both, Pet sounds is amazing

INOKZ

• 'G'
  • LOOK
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 07:18:17 PM »
U tryin 2 sample tha beach boyz or sumtin?

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 09:34:37 PM »

You don't want ALL of them, some of them are horrible.  They re-released all of their albums on "2fers", where they put two albums on one cd. 

the "Surfer Girl/Little Deuce Coupe" one is good if you like their surf songs.

the "Today!/Summer Days (and summer nights!)" 2fer if you like the songs when Brian started getting introspective and geniusy, like "Help me Rhonda", "Please Let Me Wonder", "The Little Girl I Once Knew", "California Girls", "Kiss Me Baby", stuff like that. Excellent CD.

"Pet Sounds" is it's own CD, and their best work.

"Smiley Smile/Wild Honey" were the next two albums, Smiley Smile is the weirdest album ever (it's an aborted, toned down version of "SMiLE")... and "Wild Honey" is kind of Rock.  Decent album.

"Friends/20-20" is a good album, but really toned down and mellow.  They recorded the whole "Friends" album in Brian's house, and he was depressed for both of these albums, so all the songs are really mellow.  The title track to "Friends" is beautiful, and incredibly creative.  Good album to buy.

"Sunflower/Surf's Up" is alright, Sunflower was a good album, "this Whole World" and "Add Some Music (To Your Day)" are great, great, legendary songs.  Few more good songs on that album.  "Surf's Up" is depressing, slit your wrists music for a large part.. Brian's "Til I Die" has gotta be one of the most depressing songs ever written... "I'm a leaf on a windy day, pretty soon I'll be blown away, how long will the wind blow? how long will the wind blow? Until I Die"  Brian just totally lost it after that, he dissapeared almost completely from their next 4 albums or so.

In 1975, the Beach Boys got a psychiatrist to live with Brian, he straightened him up a little bit, and Brian helped produce and write "15 Big Ones".  It's a bunch of covers, with a few new songs, and Brian's voice is horribly damaged by ciggarettes and alcohol, and drugs.  He still manages to sound like a fucking genius on many of the songs though.  If you like old school rock and roll like "Chapel Of Love" and things like that, you might like it.  The 2fer has "The Beach Boys Love You" on it too, which Brian fully wrote and produced.  It's really an incredible piece of work, but in a totally different way than the last album he fully produced and wrote, Pet Sounds.  It's rough, emotional, even childish for the most part, but it's very heartfelt, and a favorite of a bunch of people's.  It's Brian's favorite album he ever made.

Soon after, he gained the weight back, and got addicted to drugs and alcohol again, so it was kind of their last ride.  They made 4 or 5 albums AFTER that, but they all were pretty much horrible. 

Brian's first solo album "Brian Wilson" has about 3 good songs on it, but by then his voice had returned, and many of the album's harmonies he sounds incredible on. 

He made "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" in 95 or so, and he sounds frail and weak on all the songs, even though they're produced well (by someone else), and they're all his hits from the Beach Boys.

He made an album with Van Dyke Parks, the man who helped him write "SMiLE" around this time too, called "Orange Crate Art", but it's very artsy, and Brian's voice doesn't sound so great on the whole cd.  He sounds like Kermit the Frog.

In 1998, he released "Imagination", the first studio album since his "renaissance"... basically he got remarried, adopted children, got some new psychiatrists and anti-psychodic medication, and reverted back to writing beautiful melodies and incredible vocal harmonies, although he still wouldn't produce anything.  The album's alright... Brian's voice is incredible throughout, but the songs are all kind of bland.  3 or 4 good ones, like the title track, and a remake of "Keep an Eye On Summer", and a song dedicated to his brother, "Lay Down Burden" who died of Cancer that year. 

In 2000, he released the excellent "Live At The Roxy" live double cd, it's pretty incredible, his band is amazing.  He sounds great on most of it, and sings all his best songs.

In 2002, he released "Pet Sounds Live", a full live recording of the entire Pet Sounds album.  It's an excellent album, and his older weary voice sounds great on all the classic songs on that album. 

In 2004, he released "SMiLE", 40 years after he started writing and arranging it. Amazingly, he produced the entire album, sang on the entire album, wrote the entire album, arranged, mixed, etc. the whole thing.  It's a masterpiece, one of the greatest albums of all time.

Also in 2004, he released "Gettin' In Over My Head", a full album of new material, amazingly again, all produced and written by him.  I love the album, I think it's great, but it's pretty much adult contemporary flavored stuff.

He's working on 2 new albums, one a "Rock & Roll" album that's supposed to be more like his original stuff with the Beach Boys, like "Dance Dance Dance" and "I Get Around".  The second album is an album full of songs for children, he's recording it with his two daughters, they're 5 and 7 or something like that. 

Mike Love is working on a new Cd, too, but it's been postponed for years.  All of the other Beach Boys are either dead or aren't recording anymore.

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 09:39:00 PM »

You don't want ALL of them, some of them are horrible.  They re-released all of their albums on "2fers", where they put two albums on one cd. 

the "Surfer Girl/Little Deuce Coupe" one is good if you like their surf songs.

the "Today!/Summer Days (and summer nights!)" 2fer if you like the songs when Brian started getting introspective and geniusy, like "Help me Rhonda", "Please Let Me Wonder", "The Little Girl I Once Knew", "California Girls", "Kiss Me Baby", stuff like that. Excellent CD.

"Pet Sounds" is it's own CD, and their best work.

"Smiley Smile/Wild Honey" were the next two albums, Smiley Smile is the weirdest album ever (it's an aborted, toned down version of "SMiLE")... and "Wild Honey" is kind of Rock.  Decent album.

"Friends/20-20" is a good album, but really toned down and mellow.  They recorded the whole "Friends" album in Brian's house, and he was depressed for both of these albums, so all the songs are really mellow.  The title track to "Friends" is beautiful, and incredibly creative.  Good album to buy.

"Sunflower/Surf's Up" is alright, Sunflower was a good album, "this Whole World" and "Add Some Music (To Your Day)" are great, great, legendary songs.  Few more good songs on that album.  "Surf's Up" is depressing, slit your wrists music for a large part.. Brian's "Til I Die" has gotta be one of the most depressing songs ever written... "I'm a leaf on a windy day, pretty soon I'll be blown away, how long will the wind blow? how long will the wind blow? Until I Die"  Brian just totally lost it after that, he dissapeared almost completely from their next 4 albums or so.

In 1975, the Beach Boys got a psychiatrist to live with Brian, he straightened him up a little bit, and Brian helped produce and write "15 Big Ones".  It's a bunch of covers, with a few new songs, and Brian's voice is horribly damaged by ciggarettes and alcohol, and drugs.  He still manages to sound like a fucking genius on many of the songs though.  If you like old school rock and roll like "Chapel Of Love" and things like that, you might like it.  The 2fer has "The Beach Boys Love You" on it too, which Brian fully wrote and produced.  It's really an incredible piece of work, but in a totally different way than the last album he fully produced and wrote, Pet Sounds.  It's rough, emotional, even childish for the most part, but it's very heartfelt, and a favorite of a bunch of people's.  It's Brian's favorite album he ever made.

Soon after, he gained the weight back, and got addicted to drugs and alcohol again, so it was kind of their last ride.  They made 4 or 5 albums AFTER that, but they all were pretty much horrible. 

Brian's first solo album "Brian Wilson" has about 3 good songs on it, but by then his voice had returned, and many of the album's harmonies he sounds incredible on. 

He made "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" in 95 or so, and he sounds frail and weak on all the songs, even though they're produced well (by someone else), and they're all his hits from the Beach Boys.

He made an album with Van Dyke Parks, the man who helped him write "SMiLE" around this time too, called "Orange Crate Art", but it's very artsy, and Brian's voice doesn't sound so great on the whole cd.  He sounds like Kermit the Frog.

In 1998, he released "Imagination", the first studio album since his "renaissance"... basically he got remarried, adopted children, got some new psychiatrists and anti-psychodic medication, and reverted back to writing beautiful melodies and incredible vocal harmonies, although he still wouldn't produce anything.  The album's alright... Brian's voice is incredible throughout, but the songs are all kind of bland.  3 or 4 good ones, like the title track, and a remake of "Keep an Eye On Summer", and a song dedicated to his brother, "Lay Down Burden" who died of Cancer that year. 

In 2000, he released the excellent "Live At The Roxy" live double cd, it's pretty incredible, his band is amazing.  He sounds great on most of it, and sings all his best songs.

In 2002, he released "Pet Sounds Live", a full live recording of the entire Pet Sounds album.  It's an excellent album, and his older weary voice sounds great on all the classic songs on that album. 

In 2004, he released "SMiLE", 40 years after he started writing and arranging it. Amazingly, he produced the entire album, sang on the entire album, wrote the entire album, arranged, mixed, etc. the whole thing.  It's a masterpiece, one of the greatest albums of all time.

Also in 2004, he released "Gettin' In Over My Head", a full album of new material, amazingly again, all produced and written by him.  I love the album, I think it's great, but it's pretty much adult contemporary flavored stuff.

He's working on 2 new albums, one a "Rock & Roll" album that's supposed to be more like his original stuff with the Beach Boys, like "Dance Dance Dance" and "I Get Around".  The second album is an album full of songs for children, he's recording it with his two daughters, they're 5 and 7 or something like that. 

Mike Love is working on a new Cd, too, but it's been postponed for years.  All of the other Beach Boys are either dead or aren't recording anymore.

Cool...thanks for the info

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 09:44:10 PM »
Oh, and here's a photo of Brian from a couple weeks ago, pimpin' them hos.

Notice the mildly insane look on his face, still there after all these years.  DON'T DO DRUGS!

INOKZ

• 'G'
  • LOOK
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 10:05:10 PM »
Oh, and here's a photo of Brian from a couple weeks ago, pimpin' them hos.

Notice the mildly insane look on his face, still there after all these years.  DON'T DO DRUGS!
Where he at,I'd like 2 drop by there if I could,or iz it strictly 4 surferz?

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 11:20:46 PM »
"Strickly For Surfers" LOL

That reminds me of a story, you wanting to 'drop by'.  There's this dude that plays in his band right now, and when he was in his early 20's, in the 70's, he was a huge Beach Boys fan. 

Well, Brian famously spent nearly the whole 70's in bed, in his mansion in Beverly Hills.  EVERY DAY, he was in bed at his house... basically awake, just lying in bed looking at the ceiling, or writing songs, etc.... basically he was ALWAYS home.  And he's one of the most famous musicians in the world.

Well this kid, he's like 21 or something, he's a huge Beach Boys fan, so he drives to Beverly Hills.  He had heard in an interview that Brian had a mansion on Bellagio Drive, that he was Insane, and that he lay in bed all day.  He also had an album cover of one of their albums, that was of a stained glass window, in Brian's house.  So dude drove up and down Bellagio Drive, in Beverly Hills, until he found a house with the stained glass window on the album cover he had.  When he found the house, finally, he just walked up and rang the buzzer.

So a few minutes go by, and Brian Wilson answered the door in a bathrobe, LOL.  The guy told him he was a big fan, and he thought he'd just 'drop by', so Brian just let the guy come in and shoot the shit with him for a while, and years later the guy ended up being one of his backup singers. 

So yeah, just go drop by his mansion if you wanna talk to him. 

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 08:18:35 AM »
^ yo i heard some story that Paul mccartney, whos a big brian wilson fan, stopped by, and Brian was so scared, he was hiding in his shed..

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 08:24:06 AM »
At first I was gonna say "come On man"... but on second thought, hell that might be true.  I heard a true story about him one time, that he went out to dinner with his psychiatrist somewhere in the 80's, and a fan recognized him about the time Brian started putting butter on his toast, and then slapping it onto the sides of his face. 

Before they played their Knebworth Concert in 1980, they had a big party, and Brian didn't like the catering, so he asked the guy that ran the place if they had any "Birthday Cake"... (Not Cake, specifically BIRTHDAY Cake)... the guy found a Birthday Cake they were going to give to some kid, and Brian ate the whole thing with his hands and then passed out on the couch. 

Mindless Minority

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • England on Tour
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 08:44:17 AM »
God Only Knows still remains my favourite song of all time.

Top 10 Beach Boys tracks Trauma? Interesting to see cos it looks like you have a similar interests in music to me.
Well she moved in ways
That kept her there in our minds for days
Weeks and months it was
I was that amazed and there she stays
Surrounded by the what-ifs and the maybes

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 08:54:33 AM »
^ yo i heard some story that Paul mccartney, whos a big brian wilson fan, stopped by, and Brian was so scared, he was hiding in his shed..

lol

INOKZ

• 'G'
  • LOOK
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 09:57:07 AM »
"Strickly For Surfers" LOL

Well, Brian famously spent nearly the whole 70's in bed, in his mansion in Beverly Hills.  EVERY DAY, he was in bed at his house... basically awake, just lying in bed looking at the ceiling, or writing songs, etc.... basically he was ALWAYS home.   
How would U know sumthin like that???,naw juss fukin wit U,But I'm talkin bout all them females at where ever he waz at.I aint no fan of tha beach boyz and shit.

Trauma-san

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 02:03:31 PM »
God Only Knows still remains my favourite song of all time.

Top 10 Beach Boys tracks Trauma? Interesting to see cos it looks like you have a similar interests in music to me.

Hmm, I dunno, i'm not good at Top 10's, but I'll bang out a few just for the hell of it.

My favorite song ever is "Wouldn't It Be Nice", so that's definately at #1

1. Wouldn't it be nice
- God Only Knows
- Don't Worry Baby
- Good Vibrations
- You Still Believe In Me
- California Girls
- Add Some Music To Your Day
- In My Room
- Surfer Girl
- Let Him Run Wild

If you haven't heard all of those, do yourself a favor, and download 'em!