Author Topic: 13 year-old kids dictate the direction of hip-hop culture now  (Read 524 times)

MANBEARPIG.

Re: 13 year-old kids dictate the direction of hip-hop culture now
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2005, 06:29:20 PM »
OK Shallow u say calling a genre of music a 'culture' is completely absurd,  you dont think it is much more than just music, something that influences people so much and can influence decisions made by a person. something we dump money into and embrace in almost every aspect of life, hell we come onto the internet to argue about music, do you think hip hop is nothing more than hip hop, punk no more than just punk?  both of these just like almost every single genre of music has spawned millions of followers into a counter culture.  what wouldf you use in place of culture wwhen referring to your love for music and bringing it into your life in some instances for guidance?

-KIDRENEGADE-

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: 13 year-old kids dictate the direction of hip-hop culture now
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2005, 07:05:34 PM »
  both of these just like almost every single genre of music has spawned millions of followers into a counter culture.  what wouldf you use in place of culture wwhen referring to your love for music and bringing it into your life in some instances for guidance?

I'd use the word interest, or hobbie. I like video games, or at least I used to, and I would treat it the same way I treat music, and I'd see people just as wrapped up in them as others are rapped up into hip hop. Are video games a culture? I don't think so personally. How about Magic, the card game. I know people that paid for University off of Magic winnings. They practically lived that game. I wouldn't call it there culture. Are games and music, an aspect of culture? Yes. Are they a culture all their own? No. When you read about African tribes and their culture, you read about their way of life, their food, their education, their jobs, their music, but you never hear their music called a culture all its own, because it's not. It's just a part of their culture.