Author Topic: Questions for Christians about the Christian concept of God  (Read 1127 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Questions for Christians about the Christian concept of God
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2005, 09:55:29 AM »
I am not religious by any means, but if you think about it, what is the 7th day? It' Sunday.

Now, if God created the universe in 6 days, the 7th day is used to praise God for what He has given us while he rests. That is why many people go to church on Sunday.

To me, that seems like a logical answer. I could be wrong, but from a logical point of view, that's what I see the 7th day as.

Actually the 7th day accepted by all three religions that used that system is was and always will be represented by Saturday. Christians go to church on Sunday because that is the day Jesus arose from his tomb and ascended to heaven. If you read the gospels you'll notice that Jesus acknowledges the Sabbath as the same day as the Jews and never attempts to imply that Saturday is the wrong day.

'EclipZe

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2005, 10:30:53 AM »
I'll agree that you're a fucking moron.

true that... personally i think all the stuff in the bible mostly is bullshit (I still believe in God Though..) ... I slightly believe in Jesus.... he might excisted, he might not... who knows?

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2005, 12:49:03 PM »
I am not religious by any means, but if you think about it, what is the 7th day? It' Sunday.

Now, if God created the universe in 6 days, the 7th day is used to praise God for what He has given us while he rests. That is why many people go to church on Sunday.

To me, that seems like a logical answer. I could be wrong, but from a logical point of view, that's what I see the 7th day as.

Actually the 7th day accepted by all three religions that used that system is was and always will be represented by Saturday. Christians go to church on Sunday because that is the day Jesus arose from his tomb and ascended to heaven. If you read the gospels you'll notice that Jesus acknowledges the Sabbath as the same day as the Jews and never attempts to imply that Saturday is the wrong day.

Like I said, I don't claim any religion, and I haven't for a looooooong time. I'll just go along with what you said.

AndrE16686

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2005, 12:27:15 AM »
People and Muslims (especially infinite) shouldn't take religious scriptures too seriously. They are ancient, people used to be stupider and so priests had to write in a way for the average joe to understand.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2005, 06:56:59 AM »
People and Muslims (especially infinite) shouldn't take religious scriptures too seriously. They are ancient, people used to be stupider and so priests had to write in a way for the average joe to understand.

Not true. People more or less couldn't read. That's why it was up to priests to do the preaching and read from the scriptures. Look at the book of revelations and tell me that is dumbed down. No one can fully understand it it's so cryptic, and the rest of the bible is still being debated over by christians.

Thirteen

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2005, 07:26:50 AM »
what's strange is if you take any kind of religios course in college, you learn that certain stories in the bible and koran existed in other forms... Noah and his arc was a story similar to one tha ancient greeks used to tell, except it was their gods that caused the flood and that it wasn't noah and his family that built the arc...there were other stories but i can't remember them now

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2005, 08:55:10 AM »
what's strange is if you take any kind of religios course in college, you learn that certain stories in the bible and koran existed in other forms... Noah and his arc was a story similar to one tha ancient greeks used to tell, except it was their gods that caused the flood and that it wasn't noah and his family that built the arc...there were other stories but i can't remember them now

Although I agree with you I must add that it may have been the Greeks that changed the story after hearing the Noah story. The Hellenic era came much later than the time of Moses.

Deeez Nuuuts

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2005, 11:27:03 AM »
People should not take the literal meaning of the religious texts.

I am not a Christian or a Muslim, but according to the bible, God created the universe in 7 days, but if nothing had yet been created, what is one 'day'? (As in - one day is the time it takes for the Earth to spin around, but the Earth or Sun had not yet been created, so how could it have been a day) The point I am making is that these are not 24 hour days, they have more of a metaphoric meaning, and one 'day' could even be millions of years. The meaning of these texts have been watered down, for easier understanding. Also, I heard that God did not 'rest' on the seventh day because he was tired, but rather chose not to do anything as he had completed his work.

rafsta

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2005, 08:32:29 AM »
One God

Famous Orthodox Icon representing three angels that visited Abraham as a symbol of the Trinity.God is a single being. The Hebrew Bible lifts this one article of faith above others, and surrounds it with stern warnings against departure from this central issue of faith, and of faithfulness to the covenant God had made with them. "Hear O Israel! Jehovah is our God; Jehovah is one" (or "Jehovah alone", Deuteronomy 6:4) (the Shema), "You shall have no other gods before me" (Deuteronomy 5:7) and, "This is what the LORD says- Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God." (Isaiah 44:6). Any formulation of an article of faith which does not insist that God is solitary, that divides worship between God and any other, or that imagines God coming into existence rather than being God eternally, is not capable of directing people toward the knowledge of God, according to the trinitarian understanding of the Old Testament. The same insistence is found in the New Testament: "there is no God, but one" (1 Corinthians 8:4). The "other gods" warned against are therefore not gods at all, but unequal substitutes for God.

So, in the trinitarian view, the common conception which thinks of the Father and Christ as two separate beings, seems to be a profoundly mistaken one. The central, and crucial affirmation of Christian faith is that there is one savior, God, and one salvation, in Jesus Christ, to which there is access only because of the Holy Spirit. The God of the Old is still the same as the God of the New. In Christianity, it is understood that statements behind a solitary god are intended to deviate from the polytheistic views where power is shared between several beings. Instead, the power exists in one being that exists in all three forms somewhat like the way light can be a wave or a particle.

found this, maybe it will help answer your question.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 08:34:31 AM by Captain »

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2005, 10:48:58 AM »

so if Saturday = Sabbath, why don't christians keep it "holy" like it says in the 10 commandments? It's suppose to be from sunset on Friday till sunset on Saturday, right? You're suppose to rest and give the day to the lord, right? Why is it that only 7th day adventist christians do this? Why don't majority of Christians?

I asked this once in a thread of my own and didn't really get no difinite answers.

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

rafsta

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2005, 11:07:46 AM »

Why is it that only 7th day adventist christians do this? Why don't majority of Christians?

I asked this once in a thread of my own and didn't really get no difinite answers.

because the Roman Catholic religion was altered to benefit certain people... 7th day adventist christians may be trying to practise the correct shit.

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I bleed red white and blue, I am a New York Ranger
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2005, 11:29:13 AM »
Yeah but he asks them to try and disprove our beliefs. His questions were more rhetorical than inquiring. He wanted to establish the power of God then try and downplay Jesus with the last question. He's an idiot for thinking anyone would fall for it, but he's an even bigger idiot because he probably fell for it himself when he was first presented with these questions..

Actually, I'm not an idiot and I am being totally logical.   Tell me what is illogical about what I am purposing?

The Creator is the eternal, the absolute.  He is greater than anything within his creation.  He is not bound by the laws of the creation, for he is the Creator!  He created the condition of hunger for man, but he himself does not get hungry and he does not eat!  The Creator does not sleep, for if he slept who would sustain his creation?  And I am 100% sure the Creator of the Worlds does not need to use the restroom!

Next question for Christians... For Muslims, the Noble Qu'ran clearly explains that no sleep nor slumber can overtake God (Allah).  Yet, the Bible says that God "slept on the 7th day".  So my question for the Christians is, who is maintaining and sustaining the Earth while God is sleeping?

he rested, not slept moron, it means he quit creating... and even if he did sleep...how is everything just going to stop existing?  most people here were created by parents and parents sleep, we didn't just die when our creators fell asleep so once again you made a stupid comment

you are an idiot infinite, if you were "logical" then you wouldn't even believe in something that cannot be proven i.e. the existance of Allah, because most religions defy logic...they rely on faith...

once again, ignore my posts because they make you look stupid

yeah needles youve shut this kid up with every post....infinite come back at his shit, unless you too busy trying to think of different ways to be a dick and hate on everyone thats not muslim

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2005, 06:42:13 PM »
because the Roman Catholic religion was altered to benefit certain people... 7th day adventist christians may be trying to practise the correct shit.

So if they are altering it, then why do you as an individual choose to follow the catholic religion? That means you're breaking 1 of the 10 commandments every week for not keeping the sabbath holy, right?

COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2005, 07:27:39 PM »

so if Saturday = Sabbath, why don't christians keep it "holy" like it says in the 10 commandments? It's suppose to be from sunset on Friday till sunset on Saturday, right? You're suppose to rest and give the day to the lord, right? Why is it that only 7th day adventist christians do this? Why don't majority of Christians?

There's a couple reasons and they have to do with Jesus; 1) As I said Sunday is the day of church to celebrate the day Jesus rose from the grave, 2) Jesus himself worked on the Sabbath and claimed that what needs to be done should be done, no matter the day, and 3) Jesus corrected many of Moses's faults so christians will choose Jesus over anything Mosers ever said. Whether it's right or wrong to work on Saturday is up in the air. I don't know, but you asked why Christians go to church on Sunday and I did the best I could.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2005, 12:48:05 AM »
you TRIED.. but it still doesn't give me a definite answer. So you're saying PEOPLE celebrate it on Sunday because Jesus resurrected, but GOD told the people Saturday should be holy, right? and you're choosing and supporting the people side of the issue? 

COMING IN 2008.