Author Topic: OH MY GOD  - Q and A  (Read 1819 times)

mellowman

• 'G'
  • peace and funk y'all........al l y'all
OH MY GOD  - Q and A
« on: July 30, 2002, 01:05:55 PM »
hello there funk lovers. just wanted to drop by real quick and answer some questions about Rakim's Oh My God album.  Every day whenever someone recognizes me I'm being asked about this album, so I want to address some of the more frequent questions I've been getting.  I think these are also some of the same questions you guys may be asking.  Also, there are a lot of rumors out there and I wanted to squash them. so without further ado, here we go.

Q: When is Rakim's album coming out? i heard it's done, why is Dre sitting on it!!!
A:  OH MY GOD IS NOT, I REPEAT, NOT DONE!!!!!  The album is getting close but there are still things being worked on and holes to fill.  A lot of people have asked me about this supposed tracklist that is being circulated.  I haven't seen it, nor do I care what it says because the album is not done and no tracklist has been decided on.  A few people may have heard some working song titles and ran with it but I assure you nothing is finalized.  The album is not done until Dre says its done, takes the album to Jimmy and Jimmy says its good to go.  I will tell you that the release date goal is November 12th.  I can't guarantee that date but I think there is a good shot we can get it out by that date give or take a few weeks.  So NO, Dre is not sitting on a completed album.  Oh my god is getting close but it is not done.
Q:  Why is Oh My God taking so long?  They've been working on it for almost 2 years.  
A: Rakim has been signed to Aftermath since the middle of October 2000 but Dre and Ra have not been working on the album since that time.  Dre and Ra really didn't start working on the album until early this year.  They worked on it a little bit a few times before this year but there were long stretches where nothing got done.  Ra was contemplating many things and Dre was pretty busy.  Plus, the first few recording sessions were basically dre and ra getting used to each other.  they both do things a bit differently.  At the beginning Dre was almost afraid to direct and push Ra where he thought he should go. And Ra wasn't used to working with such a perfectionist and orchestrator like Dre.  Neither Ra and Dre are easy to work with in a lot of regards, so they clashed a bit early.  The clashes were more control than personal.  dre and ra have incredible respect for each other and they have become pretty good friends. It takes time for 2 legends to get comfortable with each other.  They were both hesitant to put their faith in each other and trust what the other one was doing.  But once they put their faith and trust in each other they got into a zone they still are in right now as I speak.  I think I can quit music after this cause i feel like I'm at the pinnacle. It's hard to imagine that my music career can get much better than this.
Q: I bet Dre won't do more than a few tracks.  How many will he do?
A: Dre will produce at least 7 tracks and possibly up to 12.  I think somewhere in the middle is where the final number will be.  Rakim wants Dre to produce the majority of the album and Dre doesn't want to just make a good record.  Dre wants to make a classic and he knows a true classic can't be reached unless he produces a majority of the tracks.
Q: Who will be the other producers and artists on the album?
A:  Dre and Premo are the only producers who are guaranteed to make the cut. We have gotten a lot of submitted tracks and requests to be on the album. There is a lot of begging going on.  I think its pretty funny.  Ra will only entertain the possibility of working with 4 other producers besideds dre and premo.  Sorry but I can't mention names.  Ra wants Oh My God to have a distinctive sound and flow.  As far as guest appearances only Dre, Em and Truth are guaranteed to be on.  The Man who will soon be battling Machines will very likely be on it.  Past that i don't expect anyone else.  The door has been left open for a select few that could appear. The main focus of the album will be on Rakim and his infinite arsenal of words, wisdom and knowledge.
Q: What is the direction of Oh My God?
A: The direction of the album is what dre and ra have said it would be.  The topics, lyrics, and production is all against the grain.  Dre will introduce a little of his DETOX sound.  It will be mixed with a little of the "2001" sound and some innovations he is using only on Oh My God.
Q: What is left to do for the album to get done?
A: Dre is looking for a few things.  One is to tighten up completed songs that he wants to have good enough to put on the album. The second is to add rakim vocals to a few brand new instrumentals we just came up with that are different from anything we've done since I've been here. The third is to come up with the right single to reintroduce Rakim and unleash his most destructive lyrics of fury yet.  The fourth is to exhaust every ounce of blood, sweat, tears and sacrifice that dre and rakim have in them to create the best possible album.
Q: Is Oh My God going to be as good as we hope?
A: I can't answer that question.  All I know is that its time to shut up and let the music talk for us.  Talk is cheap and Dre wants us to humble ourselves and keep quiet.  I've talked for over a year about my passion and enthusiasm for this album.  Its time to stop.  Too many artists talk shit about how good their shit is but when their music hits the shelves we find out their egos have wrote checks their talent ( or lack thereof) can't cash.  Y'all are just gonna have to wait and see.  Just sit back, relax and don't say a word.  If you listen closely you can hear the rumbling of the tremors in the distance.  Just make sure you get as far away from a Richter scale as you possibly can.  
I'll be back with a non-Rakim Q and A session in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
I take 7 mc's and put em in a line
And add 7 more brothas who think they can rhyme
Well, it will take 7 more before i go for mine
Now that's 21 mc's ate up at the same time

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: OH MY GOD  - Q and A
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2002, 01:08:13 PM »
Dope, thanks for the update. Im lookin forward to November 12th
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2002, 01:15:38 PM »
Thanx for the update.
Good and bad news...but nothin' really all that new to me

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2002, 01:18:53 PM »
cant wait!! Thanks fo' the news Mel...

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2002, 01:22:47 PM »
some of the most assuring news i've ever heard regarding to hip-hop...and if you ask me, the production should go no further than dre and primo...i think the guest line-up should be cut off at truth, em, x, and dre...no nate dogg or snoop or anything on the east...leave it as is...i absolutely can't wait for this...rakim has never let me down since i've been a fan and i'm not expecting him to anytime soon...mellowman, thanks for this q and a, it was much appreciated...oh yeah, and since you're a member check out the compilation when it drops, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

mellowman

• 'G'
  • peace and funk y'all........al l y'all
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2002, 01:49:26 PM »
The main reason i posted this was to squash rumors, address some general questions, and to give you the target release date of the album.  Those expecting big developing news will probably be disappointed.  Oh My God is being guarded like Fort Knox.  We all had to sign a confidentiality agreement regarding the album.  on that we agreed not to leak anything specific to the press or general public about Oh My God and/or Detox. I'm not allowed to talk about the release date but I had to give you all some light at the end of the tunnell.  This is an example of why i have never told you who I am.  That way i can tell you some things i shouldn't.  However, i think I got through this post without releasing anything that betray's the trust dre gives me.  I wanted to tell you about a few things so bad I had to bite my tongue to stay silent.  I hope I at least gave you some hope of an impending release date.  However, this is my last post about Oh My God till its been shipped to the stores.
I know the anticipations building and your tired of waiting.  I wanted you to at least have an idea on how much longer you have to wait. You have no idea how much we thank you for your patience and in most cases , your unwavering support. Dre and Rakim want to make sure they put out the best possible album and give you all a musical experience that you'll never forget.  Thanks again everybody.
I take 7 mc's and put em in a line
And add 7 more brothas who think they can rhyme
Well, it will take 7 more before i go for mine
Now that's 21 mc's ate up at the same time

Young Dan Iza

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2002, 01:57:06 PM »
man thankx 4 comin bacc mellow i always enjoy readin your post fucc the haters!
Welcome bizzack

The_Retarded_Moron

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2002, 02:00:45 PM »
:D

Suga Foot

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2002, 02:03:45 PM »
Damn, I can't fuckin wait for this!

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2002, 02:19:21 PM »
im really loving that Dre will be producing between 7-12 tracks i really cant wait now especially if Dre is working on that many tracks. i guess this can be like doggystyle back in the days where dre produced the album from the begining to the end of course he had some help but if im not wrong i havent seen dre produce this many songs on a album besides his own since the Marshall Mathers LP i think he did 7 on that one i really really really want that now.

shit i say we raid that fort knox....whos with me.....lol....jk......i really really really really really really hope that this dont get bootlegged or leaked!!!!

bez

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2002, 02:27:26 PM »
thanks alot Mel.  I have not really heard much of Rakim its proberly cos I am from the UK (Liverpool).  I cant wait for this album tho, aftermath always drops dope albums and I really really cant wait for this shit.  I wanna become a big fan of Rakim cos the cds that I have seen of him in stores where I live I have been pointing out to my friends and saying THIS GUY WILL BE HUGE SOON.  They have just been  like who is he and what you mean will be huge.  I have just been like TRUST ME HE WILL BE HUGE, JUST WAIT.

Thanks for the info man your stuff is always readable and I respect you so much.

Take it easy man,
Bez

DonCorleone187

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2002, 04:02:45 PM »
i can't wait for this musical masterpiece

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2002, 04:03:00 PM »
honestly if i could choose one cd that i'd want to be a double album just for more and more material it'd probably be Oh My God...i wonder what will turn out better, this or Detox?

peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

bez

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2002, 04:59:49 PM »
detox will proberly.

PLANT

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2002, 06:50:44 PM »
Damn, I can't fuckin wait for this!