Author Topic: OH MY GOD  - Q and A  (Read 1816 times)

mellowman

• 'G'
  • peace and funk y'all........al l y'all
Re: OH MY GOD  - Q and A
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2002, 11:40:53 AM »
while i have a few minutes to burn just after lunch I wanted to add a few quick comments.  one, Dre would love to have Rakim deliver every single verse all the way through the album, but it just isn't possible.  a lot of young cats had never heard of Rakim before they heard him on addictive. a lot of other young cats may have heard of Rakim but had no idea who he was and had never listened to his music before.  rakim was THE household name back in the late 80's but things have changed as it has been a long time since Rakim's  "prime". over the last 12 to 13 years he has only done a couple albums.    While Rakims amazing wordplay never dropped, his sales and presence in the game have steadily declined because the record buying audience basically forgot about him and the albums were not promoted properly.  We need to market him in the best way possible.  when I say market I don't mean advertising (which interscope needs to work very hard at) I mean getting people to get interested in his album.  to do that we have to make the best album possible, drop a game changing single and include a few collabarations that will peak interest.  While we want to make sure Oh My God is artistically brilliant the name of the game is still to sell albums.  To give Rakim as great chance to do that means to use resources that Rakim has available to him.  Those resources include the single most popular artist in music today - Eminem.  Besides doing a collab in an attempt to bring Em's millions of fans to Oh My God, the collab will be a lyrical showcase for a legend and one soon to be legend to show why they are just that.  
Hopefully this answers some peoples dissapointment at not have the entire album be strictly rakim.  However, I assure you that the album will be mostly rakim.  there will be no skits per se, and there will be precious few guest appearances.  Truth hurts contribution most likely will only be a hook.  Em will appear on one track (there is a tiny possiblity that he will be on 2 but i highly doubt it).  I mentioned Xzibit and I still believe he will be on it, but that is not set in stone.  There are 3 other possible mc's and another singer that may make it on but those songs will have to be especially brilliant to make the cut.  And no at this point Snoop is not one of them. Dre will be rap on at least one track.  Why? because Dre signed Rakim and it has always been a dream of his to do a duet with Rakim.  Ra has and will write any Dre verse that makes the album.  And Dre will be a huge reason why Rakim blows back up again.  Dre is working REALLY HARD to make Oh My God a classic. Dre is pushing rakim to take his lyrics and delivery to the top of the atmosphere.  In turn, Ra is pushing Dre to make some of the best beats of his career.  So yes there will be some collabs but over 90% of the rhymes on the album will be Rakim. Hopefully this appeases both sides of the collabs/no collabs argument. No matter which side your on just wait til you go buy the record to make any judgments.  I still plan on doing another Q and A thread about some other things in a few weeks. til then keep the funk alive and keep the music playin.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
I take 7 mc's and put em in a line
And add 7 more brothas who think they can rhyme
Well, it will take 7 more before i go for mine
Now that's 21 mc's ate up at the same time

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2002, 11:55:59 AM »
While Rakims amazing wordplay never dropped, his sales and presence in the game have steadily declined because the record buying audience basically forgot about him and the albums were not promoted properly.  We need to market him in the best way possible.  when I say market I don't mean advertising (which interscope needs to work very hard at) I mean getting people to get interested in his album.  to do that we have to make the best album possible, drop a game changing single and include a few collabarations that will peak interest.  While we want to make sure Oh My God is artistically brilliant the name of the game is still to sell albums.  To give Rakim as great chance to do that means to use resources that Rakim has available to him.  

I'm not sure, but didn't The 18th Letter go platinum, with one video and no guest spots.  I could be mistaken.  I hope Rakim and Dre fully agree with eathother on their decisions and Dre doesn't make Ra do anything that he doesn't want to do.

Rakim should Set 'Em Straight

I came to set em straight, and let em know
Whoever's holdin the best, just let him go
Cause here's the inside scoop on the fiend
They wanna know why I'm seldom seen
Cause who needs the TV screens and magazines
or shootin through the city in fly limousines
There's one thing I don't like, it's the spotlight
.. cause I already got light

Fuck sales and the people who don't know him, the true heads know the deal, that's who they should be thinking of.  
If he's alone I'll buy five copies, if not I'm burning it.  

Oh My God will be dope regardless.  Thanx Mellowman.

The_Retarded_Moron

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2002, 02:17:29 PM »
While we want to make sure Oh My God is artistically brilliant the name of the game is still to sell albums.  To give Rakim as great chance to do that means to use resources that Rakim has available to him.  Those resources include the single most popular artist in music today - Eminem.  Besides doing a collab in an attempt to bring Em's millions of fans to Oh My God, the collab will be a lyrical showcase for a legend and one soon to be legend to show why they are just that.

exactly.

jayboogie

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2002, 05:06:46 PM »
I've said as far back as 1986 that Rakim is the best lyricist out there.  I stand by that.  I've also said that Dre is the most consistent and thus the best producer out there.  I still stand by that.  Together, this album has no choice but to be a classic.  I hope they take their time so it reaches its fullest potential.

mellowman

• 'G'
  • peace and funk y'all........al l y'all
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2002, 05:16:15 PM »
C2knuckles, you are your own man and you make your own decisions but you are not a true Rakim fan if you do what you just said you would -  "IF HE'S ALONE I'LL BUY FIVE COPIES. IF NOT I'M BURNING IT".  i don't understand why you would make a comment like that.  Put a little faith in what Rakim is doing.  A few guest verses will not ruin this album.  In fact the collabs that have been done so far are making it better.  Rakim is the main focus and he will deliver. C2, you raised some good points.  But a few of your comments weren't fair.  It seems like you think Ra may be allowing Dre to tell him what to do.    Believe me, Rakim doesn't do anything he doesn't want to do.  The small number of guest spots on Oh My God are all Rakim's choice. The producers are all Rakim's choice. It's also unfair to think that Rakim shouldn't be concered about selling records.  His primary and main goal is to make the best album EVER. But he wants people, young and old, white and black, new and long time fans to buy his album.  I can guarantee you, even if you love doing whatever it is your doing for a living that you still want to make money. Rakim doesn't want the spotlight, he doesn't even like it. He wants to be respected.  He doesn't give a fuck about material things and getting attention in the media.  Does Rakim care if he sells 5 million copies? NO. He's not in this game for the purpose of being a millionaire. However, he still has to make a living, pay the bills and wants to live comfortably.  Just listen to Paid in Full.  Record sales are secondary but yes Rakim wants to sell some records, too.  He is human.  Yes, true heads do know the deal, and yes that is the type of fan who Ra is making the album for. But true heads aren't gonna pay the bills if the true heads do what c2knuckles threatened to do, which is to not buy the album.  
Dre is not forcing Ra to do anything he doesn't want to. Rakim wants to have only a few collabs and has fully agreed to all of the artists that will appear on Oh My God. He wanted to work with Em, because of Em's skills and the fact that Em doesn't focus on bling-bling shit either.  Helping record sales wasn't the reason, but Ra is a smart man and a business man and realizes it will help introduce him to more people. Oh My God is not about money.  It is about breaking rap music out of the jail its currently in.  Oh My God is about lyrics, intelligence, skills and hopefully teaching people that rappers can talk about things other than money, cars, bling bling, bad mouthing women and forgetting about what hip-hop is really about.  rakim didn't have to join forces with Dre.  Rakim joined Dre because he knew that Dre would give 150% to the project and would not stab him in the back like so many had done throughout his career.  Rakim has been ripped off by people his whole carrer.  Record labels, friends and other artists all took advantage of ra's skill and his good heart.  They also took more than advantage of his financial well being.  Rakim lost his trust in people.  Dre is giving him his trust back. In return rakim is delivering the hip hop album of the new millenium.  Who fuckin cares if there are a small number of guest appearances.  True fans will buy Rakim's album NO MATTER WHAT.  If you don't you are not a fan. Rakim will never sell out and he would be hurt than someone would insinuate that since he is having 2 or 3 guest appearances on his album that he is selling out for the money.  If you don't buy the album thats your choice. But If you decide not to buy it and you just burn it don't come here claiming to be a true fan.  Cause if you don't care enough about Rakim enough to trust his judgement and support him in whatever he does than Ra doesn't want you as a fan.  C2knuckes or anyone else  -   We don't expect you to buy 5 copies.  Buying 5 albums makes you a super fan.  If you do that we may invite you to the studio. But not even buying one copy of Oh My God would make you the worst kind a fan.  A fan that claims to be a fan but yet doesn't support the artist  enough to even buy one copy of their album.  Just think about it.  I trust that in the end even with 3 or 4 verses by other mc's it will not deter you from buying Oh My God.  Cause when you hear it you will be so amazed that it will be impossible not to have your own copy of the once in a lifetime album Rakim and Dre are putting together. peace.  its time to go home and take my queen out on the date I promised. Talk to you guys in a few weeks.
I take 7 mc's and put em in a line
And add 7 more brothas who think they can rhyme
Well, it will take 7 more before i go for mine
Now that's 21 mc's ate up at the same time

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2002, 06:17:47 PM »
damn those are some good words there mellow i always say that about dre cause everyone seems to start hating on him cause he takes so long but shit i say just wait til his shit drops and then you will be all over it...it will be imposible to not pick it up thats what i always say about dre and thats what i feel thats gonna happen with rakim....i never have really known him too much but i have been listening to a few tracks here and there and his verse on addictive is a confirmation that i will defenitally buy this album no matter what

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2002, 06:32:38 PM »
Buying 5 albums makes you a super fan.  If you do that we may invite you to the studio.

HOLLY SHIT!!! I'm buying 300 copies...

UPINSMOKETOUR

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2002, 12:11:06 AM »
THX Mellowman

bez

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2002, 01:17:00 AM »
Thanks Mellowman, your posts are so worth reading.  Hope you ad a good nite with the Mrs.  Laters

DJ_Jay_Deee

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2002, 01:28:44 AM »
Thanks for the info, mellow man.

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2002, 05:14:03 AM »
i can't wait, i think i said that before though, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

Wizard Whitebeard

• 'G'
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2002, 06:27:10 AM »

HOLLY SHIT!!! I'm buying 300 copies...

My sentiments exactly.  I'd give my right arm to be in the studio with Dre or any of the Aftermath roster.  Same goes for Timbaland.
"Doc rock a wife beater with me beatin' my wife's ass ironed on." - Redman

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2002, 07:37:55 AM »

Fuck sales and the people who don't know him, the true heads know the deal, that's who they should be thinking of.  
If he's alone I'll buy five copies, if not I'm burning it.  

Believe it or not I was joking, I'm at the record store on that Tuesday morning breaking down the door to get my copy. If he's alone I'll buy one copy, if not I'm buying one copy. Really, why the hell would I buy FIVE copies.  But if that could get me to the studio, I'll make him got fucking platinum.  The only albums I burn are the expensive imports, or the rare ones that I can't find.

I have the more confidence in Rakim than anyone else in the game.  And it's a no brainer that these two will make a masterpiece. I'm confident the best producer and best emcee know what they are doing.  I would love to hear a Em/Ra track or a Nas/Ra track, with Dre or Primo behind the boards, that would be unreal.  However, I personnally would like to see Rakim with seven album rocking them all alone.  Who else would or could do that?  It just think it would dope for someone to do that cause no one now a days has a true solo album. I just want to see the greatest hip-hop album ever.  I've had a hard on for this since the day I heard Ra signed to Aftermath.  And I'm praying that it doesn't get leaked and bootlegging fucks up the album and release date.

D.R.E.-Dogg

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2002, 10:44:05 AM »
thanks alot mellowman!

This album will be so fuckin dope...

HairWuzEre

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Timbaland
Ditto
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2002, 05:38:25 PM »
I'd give my right arm to be in the studio with Dre or any of the Aftermath roster.  Same goes for Timbaland.
Not me! (I'd only give my left arm ;)). But seriously, I had planned on only buying two copies, but if buying five would literally get me into the studio, I will!