Author Topic: U.S. Technological Edge Evaporating  (Read 113 times)

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
U.S. Technological Edge Evaporating
« on: April 15, 2005, 05:09:33 PM »
From Foreign Affairs Magazine.

In the first three years of the Bush administration, the United States dropped from 4th to 13th place in global rankings of broadband Internet usage. Today, most U.S. homes can access only "basic" broadband, among the slowest, most expensive, and least reliable in the developed world, and the United States has fallen even further behind in mobile-phone-based Internet access. The lag is arguably the result of the Bush administration's failure to make a priority of developing these networks. In fact, the United States is the only industrialized state without an explicit national policy for promoting broadband.

It did not have to be this way. Until recently, the United States led the world in Internet development.

____

This has a huge effect on competitive advantage in America.  Large organizations now share massive amounts of data between plants and often have to pay large sums of money for adequate bandwidth.  My friend serves in the NAVY and lives in Japan... he was surprised to find that he had instant access to 5 mbps DL speeds. 

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20050501faessay84311/thomas-bleha/down-to-the-wire.html

mauzip

Re: U.S. Technological Edge Evaporating
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 05:10:49 PM »
hey, an anti bush post from ant! :o

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 06:24:11 PM »
hey another bush supporter that hates facts.

Thirteen

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 06:47:23 PM »
From Foreign Affairs Magazine.

In the first three years of the Bush administration, the United States dropped from 4th to 13th place in global rankings of broadband Internet usage. Today, most U.S. homes can access only "basic" broadband, among the slowest, most expensive, and least reliable in the developed world, and the United States has fallen even further behind in mobile-phone-based Internet access. The lag is arguably the result of the Bush administration's failure to make a priority of developing these networks. In fact, the United States is the only industrialized state without an explicit national policy for promoting broadband.

It did not have to be this way. Until recently, the United States led the world in Internet development.

____

This has a huge effect on competitive advantage in America.  Large organizations now share massive amounts of data between plants and often have to pay large sums of money for adequate bandwidth.  My friend serves in the NAVY and lives in Japan... he was surprised to find that he had instant access to 5 mbps DL speeds. 

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20050501faessay84311/thomas-bleha/down-to-the-wire.html

That whole network in japan was supplied by the US... in Yokosuka we controlled pretty much the phone company for the outlying area. on base we were getting 100 mbps dl's

i don't know what the politics are for this, whether that japanese paid for us to install it or what... it's been 4 years since i've been there and i know that back then, the internet was either very slow or non existant at all besides the work and leisure places on base

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 08:25:16 PM »
if you read the article it talks about how during the past four years the US went from being a world leader to being surpassed in Broadband capabilities by Japan.  The Japanese system was not created by the US. 

Our system is horribly inefficient.  Just to get 10 mbps its about 1,000 a month where I live.  In Japan, I dbled checked with my friend, he spends about $25 a month for 10 mbps. Is this all Bush's fault? nah, but it happened on his watch... but really its a nonpartisan issue just trying to bring to light the fact that for all we brag about American superiority there are things were others have far surpassed us. 

Thirteen

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 08:48:08 PM »
if you read the article it talks about how during the past four years the US went from being a world leader to being surpassed in Broadband capabilities by Japan.  The Japanese system was not created by the US. 

Our system is horribly inefficient.  Just to get 10 mbps its about 1,000 a month where I live.  In Japan, I dbled checked with my friend, he spends about $25 a month for 10 mbps. Is this all Bush's fault? nah, but it happened on his watch... but really its a nonpartisan issue just trying to bring to light the fact that for all we brag about American superiority there are things were others have far surpassed us. 

the system where i stayed at was created by the US, it's on the US base, run my mostly US and we've done most of the installing of shit for that area...like i said, things might have changed in the 4 years since i've been there but thanks for letting me know what i did or didn't do for 2 years

anyways this has nothing to do with Bush and is just another person bitching at something Bush doesn't control.... do you think all these companies are waiting for Bush to say "hey lets get faster connection to these internets" and by the miracles of modern science, everyone is going to have fiber optic wires running to and from their houses and microwave towers on their back porch? it's supply and demand and right now it's no in high demand... the companies that want faster internet connect have no trouble getting it.

lastly you have another misleading title, for some reason i thought this was going to be some informative article and all this is is a complaint we have slower internet than other countries... guess what? we also have larger cell phones than Japan, and they have Blu Ray disk recorders and we don't... better hop on your horse Ant and ride through the street "THE END OF THE WORLD IS NEAR!"

oh and if you think we're losing technology, you should read up on some military weapon discoveries. like how they might install a sort of device on certain structures where, with the touch of a button, can give you 3rd degree burns on about 40% of your body in a matter of seconds, without any longer term side effects