Author Topic: Pretty much all Beatles songs for download in .wav files  (Read 1156 times)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: Pretty much all Beatles songs for download in .wav files
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 12:42:16 PM »
i think hermans hermits sound like beatles, well in the song "no milk today" they do,

Trauma-san

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 07:47:20 PM »
Each to thier own I guess. Quick question. :)

I was listening to a Beatles song that in parts sounded identical to one of the Beach Boys tracks. Due to the high intake of alcohol into my blood stream since listening to said songs I've completely forgot what they are. Any ideas?

Oooh, a challenge!  Um, there's two things that pop in mind.  Or actually several things.  Before I list them, though, please understand that i'm not saying that the Beatles 'ripped' the Beach Boys off or anything, just saying that two great bands came up with similar ideas, likely on their own.  A lot of people contend that Paul McCartney heard versions of the SMiLE tapes while they were being recorded, and stole a lot of the ideas... he actually DID hear some of the sessions (he was there), but the Beatles themselves were extremely creative, and aren't called the greatest band of all time because they ripped somebody off.  There's a clear progression in musical ability in the Beatles records, and the same in the Beach Boys' records.

Anyways, Brian Wilson started producing more 'symphonic' tracks like "California Girls", and more introspective songs, like "Warmth Of the Sun" (the love of my life; she left me one day... I cried when she said, 'I don't feel the same way'), and "Please Let Me Wonder", "In My Room", stuff like that around the same time the Beatles were doing "Help!" with John Lennon's more introspective stuff soon following... "Help!" had "Yesterday" on it, as well... John's 'I Don't Want To Spoil The Party', etc. so both bands were maturing at the same time.  At about this time, in the U.S. at least, the Beatles and the Beach Boys were frequently switching places near the top of the charts, Brian Wilson was honestly holding his own, commercially, against the Beatles.. and on top of it, he was producing his songs as well as writing them, the Beatles had George Martin producing theirs, although they helped (Paul arranged "Yesterday", for instance).

So around this time, the Beatles put out their landmark "Rubber Soul" album.  It had great songs like "In My Life" and "Girl", and "Michelle"... so they were really starting to progress.   Brian Wilson heard the album, and was convinced that his rivals, the Beatles, were onto something, and were trying to make 'spiritual' pop music, so he intended to make his own music more spiritual (soulful, nothing religious).  Brian's reaction to the beautiful songs on "Rubber Soul" was to write and produce "Pet Sounds". 

When Paul McCartney heard Pet Sounds, he was blown away (as were most people in the business).  Pet Sounds didn't sell very well, however, except in England.  Anyways, Paul to this day names "God Only Knows" as the greatest song ever written, and says he cried the first time he heard Brian sing "You Still Believe In Me" on Pet Sounds.  This is where the 'ripoff' starts.  Paul soon after wrote "Here, There, and Everywhere", which thematically is a very close copy of "You Still Believe In Me", it has a ton of similar progressions and themes, if you'll listen to the two you'll see it's obvious after it's been pointed out.  So people claim Paul ripped Brian off, but I see it more as a homage, you have to remember Brian himself recorded tons of Phil Spector songs, and based his whole early style on Phil's productions.

So, the Beatles heard Pet Sounds, and 'answered' it, with Revolver.  Revolver had John's most personal lyrics, things like Norweigian Wood, and even had drum loops and things on it, in songs like Tommorow Never Knows.  "Doctor Robert" aluded to drug use, George Harrison used Backwards Guitar on "I'm Only Sleeping", etc. etc. they really started the Psychedelic thing. 

Brian heard "Revolver", and felt he had to 1-up it, again.  So he released "Good Vibrations", which blew EVERYBODY away, and then started working on SMiLE, around the time the Beatles had begun work on "Sgt. Pepper's". 

So it's not really them ripping each other off, they were just challenging and trying to outdo each other.  Brian ultimately had a mental collapse and never finished SMiLE, the Beatles released "Sgt. Pepper's"to enormous critical acclaim, and the rest is history.  People claim all kinds of shit, like that Paul ripped off the idea to reprise Sgt. Pepper's near the end of the album from Brian, since Brian was using themes that repeated all throughout the SMiLE album, and then they claimed that Paul again ripped Brian off when he recorded "Sgt. Pepper's" to flow from song to song, with no breaks in places, since that's how Brian was recording "SMiLE", then there's the modular recording techniques Brian pioneered with Good Vibrations, and SMiLE, that Paul & John used on the second side of Abbey Road, to link the tracks together.

Anyways, just thought I'd flesh out their relationship.  They were all friends, although Brian & Paul were the only two that ever spent any time with each other.  Paul wrote "Back In the U.S.S.R." as kind of a tribute in sorts to the Beach Boys.  "Ooooh, those Ukraine Girls really Knock Me Out!" is kind of a take on "California Girls", "Come on, keep your Comerade Warm!" is a take on "The Northern Girls, with the way they kiss, they keep their boyfriends warm at night" from California Girls, etc.... and then in the background, you have the part you're probably talking about, the Beatles going "Oooooh, ooh WHOO OOOOH OOOH!" imitating the Beach Boys. 

Another song is "Because" from Abbey Road.  It's sang in like 12 part harmony, and I think was meant as a tribute to the Beach Boys as well. 

So if you heard the Beatles sounding like the Beach Boys, it was probably either 'Here there and Everywhere", "Because", or "Back in the U.S.S.R.".

Mindless Minority

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • England on Tour
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 05:20:09 AM »
Thanks for the information, made for a nice read. Found this website a few weeks back:

http://www.recmusicbeatles.com/public/files/awp/awp.html

You might find some of the stuff on there an interesting read.

Unfortunately, none of your suggestions are what I'm thinking of. It was the melody that made me think of a Beach Boys, if I remember rightly they were almost identical. Shit, perhaps I'm just making things up.
Well she moved in ways
That kept her there in our minds for days
Weeks and months it was
I was that amazed and there she stays
Surrounded by the what-ifs and the maybes

AndrE16686

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 06:42:03 AM »
whoa! thanx :o

Trauma-san

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 07:39:14 AM »
I Know another one you might be thinking of.  The Beatles recorded "Rock & Roll Music", a Chuck Berry song, to close their first album... the Beach Boys not only recorded their own version of Rock & Roll Music in 1975, but in 1963, their "Surfin' USA" and a year later "Fun, Fun, Fun" both rip off Chuck Berry riffs, maybe that's it?  "Surfin' U.S.A." is a copy of "Sweet Little Sixteen", and "Fun, Fun, Fun" steals the opening riff of 'Johnny B. Goode".  The Beatles sang a version of "Johnny B. Goode", and I think there's a version of "Sweet Little Sixteen" that they did too, maybe on the BBC Album. 

Mindless Minority

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • England on Tour
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 08:34:13 AM »
I've heard those Chuck Berry covers and I'm sure it's not them. On the subject, The Beatles cover of Roll Over Beethoven is top notch. And Lennons voice on Twist & Shout is out of this world. The Johnny B Goode cover seems to be lacking in effort.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 08:35:44 AM by OiYou!! »
Well she moved in ways
That kept her there in our minds for days
Weeks and months it was
I was that amazed and there she stays
Surrounded by the what-ifs and the maybes

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 09:52:54 AM »
trauma why do u talk about the beatles as if paul was the leader, i always figured lennon was, somewhat?

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 10:11:49 AM »
trauma why do u talk about the beatles as if paul was the leader, i always figured lennon was, somewhat?

I'd consider John the leader in the early days (pre-Rubber Soul/Revolver) but after that it seemed like Paul took the lead. Look at how many Paul songs are on Sgt Pepper's, for example, as opposed to the number of lead John songs.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2005, 12:26:12 PM »

I'd consider John the leader in the early days (pre-Rubber Soul/Revolver) but after that it seemed like Paul took the lead. Look at how many Paul songs are on Sgt Pepper's, for example, as opposed to the number of lead John songs.

I kind of see it as a joint effort the whole way. What I know for sure is that John's solo stuff was far better than Paul's in my opinion.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2005, 01:43:24 PM »

I kind of see it as a joint effort the whole way. What I know for sure is that John's solo stuff was far better than Paul's in my opinion.

I can see the both ways being plausible. I disagree with you on John's solo work, I've never felt it was that great. Maybe I'm crazy, I seem to be the only person to feel that way. However, I love Paul's solo work, even up to his last few albums (Flaming Pie, Run Devil Run, Driving Rain, Back In The US 2002).

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Trauma-san

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2005, 08:18:19 PM »

It kind of depends on what you're talking about.  John was the 'leader' in a lot of ways, but Paul was in a lot of ways, too.  Two HUUUUUGE forces in music, John & Paul.  Paul, for instance came up with the idea for the Let It Be, and Sgt. Pepper's albums.  Paul came up with the Magical Mystery Tour.  Paul came up with the idea of sequencing the second side of Abbey Road like that... You gotta remember a lot of John's ideas were pretty fucking crazy, so they didn't utilize a lot of his stuff in the later days, because it was just too out there.  Look @ what he did after he left the Beatles.  I've seen concerts where YOKO sat on a stool blindfolded, showing signs to the crowd that had words like "Think" and "Wait" on them. 

AndrE16686

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2005, 06:28:24 AM »

Exactly, John was gnarly solo.

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2005, 01:15:08 PM »

It kind of depends on what you're talking about. John was the 'leader' in a lot of ways, but Paul was in a lot of ways, too. Two HUUUUUGE forces in music, John & Paul. Paul, for instance came up with the idea for the Let It Be, and Sgt. Pepper's albums. Paul came up with the Magical Mystery Tour. Paul came up with the idea of sequencing the second side of Abbey Road like that... You gotta remember a lot of John's ideas were pretty fucking crazy, so they didn't utilize a lot of his stuff in the later days, because it was just too out there. Look @ what he did after he left the Beatles. I've seen concerts where YOKO sat on a stool blindfolded, showing signs to the crowd that had words like "Think" and "Wait" on them.
lol that made me chuckle, ..