Author Topic: Is Sly Boogy a better commercial rapper than Crooked I?  (Read 130 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Is Sly Boogy a better commercial rapper than Crooked I?
« on: April 26, 2005, 06:19:30 PM »
For the last 5 or so years, I've been a great fan and avid promoter of Crooked I. He's the one dude I tell anybody outside of CA about who ever questions how much talent we have. Although there are many other west coasters who bring heat, he's personally been my favorite overall since 00. However, I have realized that he is definitely a great lyricist and amazing at what he does, but I have started to question how much skill he has as far as making hit records and really being at the level of a Snoop or Jay with bringin classic songs.

I have known about Sly Boogy for about 3 years now, and he has had some GREAT singles, especially for the west coast style. Overall, I do not think he is a better rapper than Crooked I, but I am starting to realize that he may be a better commercial rapper. When I hear tracks like "That's my name" "California" and "It's nothin", I realize that these are some hard ass tracks overall that coulda been big hits if the nation was aware that they existed. Everytime I play That's my name in Florida, they react to it like damn. His strengths with these types of songs is havin somewhat of a complex flow that is still easy to mimmick and just sounds very appealing to the regular ear, and is not too complicated to where the listener is baffled, and he has the dope lil one liners that make commercial songs hits. Along with that, he is very good at hooks, which is somethin that Crooked I has never excelled in. Crooked has made some good songs, but I've heard many songs from him, and personally, I don't think any of them have as good of an appeal as what Sly has dropped. The hooks on most of Crooked's songs were average and did not catch my ear.

So....what do you think?

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Is Sly Boogy a better commercial rapper than Crooked I?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 06:42:42 PM »
I think we cant actually find out who would appeal more to the masses until they both drop albums backed by major labels. I think once they get that exposure on a national level then you would be able to tell how each would handle it. Say they drop and get major buzz and selling major units then everyone would want to record with them. With that bein said then the trick would be if they had enough range and charisma to work with the main stream artists and deal with the media. Thats when you could see how "commercial" they would appear and how they would attract an audience. Im in a hurry so i hope this makes sense... :D

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 06:53:30 PM »
Yea I definitely see what you sayin. I've seen Crooked I on TV and in interviews so I know how he acts, but I've never seen Sly like that.

I am just speakin as far as the songs that we've heard from them and as far as rap skills go, not really speakin about them havin appeal.

We Fly High

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 07:12:07 PM »
i dont know, in my opinion sly boogy has a much stronger presence in Los Angeles than Crooked I does.. sly boogy has way more appeal.. sly boogy is grindin hard, ive seen him open up and perform at least like 6-7 times in LA. opening up for like Xzibit , Talib Kweli, Dj Quik, hella fools.  i aint never seen crooked around, let alone perform. i dig sly boogy a lot, but i really do not find anything appealing about crooked i. depsite similarities in lyrical skills, sly boogy just seems like a much better canidate. I mean crookeds a good rapper and all, but like you said he doesnt have the ability to really hold a hook.

soopa-man

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 07:14:54 PM »
Crook is respected wherever he spits! Unfortunately i see him becoming cursed with that "Ras Kass Plague" where his Talent is Overweighed by Politics...theres no reason Crooked nor Ras, or Sly shouldnt be where Snoop and Jigga are at or half that to be realistic, but it looks slim with the plague of Politics Ras kass went through, people dont like there beats, complain its Too Lyrical (XXL hated on Ras for that in an interview for "Van Gogh" what their stupid asses meant by that i dont know)

But Sly Boogy does have what it takes to be a Dope MC and Commercial appealing MC so i root for them all and whoever makes first (hopefully they all do) i'll be one of the peeps to say "I Fuckin Told You So!"...

soopadoopaflykid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Iguess
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 07:23:46 PM »
If Crooked fucked wit more appealin beats like sly boogy I think he can do the same thing

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 09:47:53 PM »
possibly sly is better commercially, but they both dope and we are all fiending for an album from the both of them! drop that shit , need sum westcoast heat for my ride.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 12:19:37 PM »
I agree with R-Tistic. Sly Boogy has much more appeal in general, at least where I'm at. Most of the peeps around my way know about Sly Boogy from "California" and "That's my Name" and are feelin his shit but I can't say the same for Crooked I. Personally I like both of them them and I hope they both blow.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels