Author Topic: Is it just me or is the West .....  (Read 485 times)

Hittman

Is it just me or is the West .....
« on: July 29, 2002, 06:08:39 AM »
..... gradually becoming boring. Compared to the East Coast it is. Theres only a fews artists in the West that still get my attention (Ras Kass, Xzibit, Crooked I ...erm that's it). I'm sick of hearing about pimpin/whores/been gangstas - It wouldn't be so bad if they actually changed there lyrics every now and again but they don't. Lyric wise there years behind the rest. Its a good job they've still got tight beats.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

themovie

Re: Is it just me or is the West .....
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2002, 06:24:12 AM »
..... gradually becoming boring. Compared to the East Coast it is. Theres only a fews artists in the West that still get my attention (Ras Kass, Xzibit, Crooked I ...erm that's it). I'm sick of hearing about pimpin/whores/been gangstas - It wouldn't be so bad if they actually changed there lyrics every now and again but they don't. Lyric wise there years behind the rest. Its a good job they've still got tight beats.

It's the cali-way-of-life......gangbangin,weed,palm trees and bitches everywhere  8)

Quadruple OG

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2002, 07:35:23 AM »

I agree 100%.  the whole "I'm a gangbanger, I smoke weed, fuck bitches, pimp hoes, and I love my mama" routine is played out.  The west coast is flat out redundant now.  The Snoop/Dre we are hearing now is the same shit we heard 10 years ago when you get down to it.  It's the same sound.  This is why The Source, XXL, Vibe, etc. don't show love towards the West Coast.  This is why MTV and BET don't play as many west coast videos.  The Snoop/Dre act is stale.  The new west coast artist is an artist who can rock the mic and rock a party.  The west coast needs a facelift in the next year or so, starting with Snoop and Dre retiring so that the new crop of mc's aren't being held back so Snoop and Dre can hog the spotlight.  

Xzibit, Rass Kass, Crooked I, Techniec, Bad Azz, Eastwood, Roscoe, E-White, Soopafly, Spider Loc, Shade Sheist, Knoc-Turn'al, etc. need to force Snoop and Dre into retirement.  They bring a new sound to the west, and hopefully new producers can step up as well, because the sound is starting to get played out as well.  

Lil Suge Knight

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2002, 09:23:07 AM »
I like that whole pimpin, gangbanging thing, but maybe cos I only got back "heavily" into rap around the time 2001 was released.
These is dedicated to the niggaz down from day one!!!

E. J. Rizo

Re: Is it just me or is the West ....s
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2002, 09:46:53 AM »

I agree 100%.  the whole "I'm a gangbanger, I smoke weed, fuck bitches, pimp hoes, and I love my mama" routine is played out.  The west coast is flat out redundant now.  The Snoop/Dre we are hearing now is the same shit we heard 10 years ago when you get down to it.  It's the same sound.  This is why The Source, XXL, Vibe, etc. don't show love towards the West Coast.  This is why MTV and BET don't play as many west coast videos.  The Snoop/Dre act is stale.  The new west coast artist is an artist who can rock the mic and rock a party.  The west coast needs a facelift in the next year or so, starting with Snoop and Dre retiring so that the new crop of mc's aren't being held back so Snoop and Dre can hog the spotlight.  

Xzibit, Rass Kass, Crooked I, Techniec, Bad Azz, Eastwood, Roscoe, E-White, Soopafly, Spider Loc, Shade Sheist, Knoc-Turn'al, etc. need to force Snoop and Dre into retirement.  They bring a new sound to the west, and hopefully new producers can step up as well, because the sound is starting to get played out as well.  

thats cool what you think and all but just wait til detox and other dre produced albums are out you might just jump right back up on the bandwagon just like when dre released 2001

AFTERMATH_FAN

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2002, 09:56:10 AM »
Yeah I have noticed that the west gets no love from MTV,BET,The source,XXL etc.The reason for that is simple,all of those magazines and tv stations are east coast jock riders.But as far as im concerned,there is a lot of talent out here on the west.The bottom line is the west coast rap scene is being held back by the people up top who call all the shots.Thats just my opinion,It really makes me sick when I see MTV playing all that south nonsense like cash money millionaires.If they can get airplay and articles in the source and XXL then so should the west.All I got to say is just wait for Detox,the west will rise again big time.Also,if you think that the west will be saved by Crooked I and Shade sheisty and people like that your only kidding yourself,they dont have the commercial appeal to make the west shine.

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2002, 10:27:47 AM »
That's why this year, I've bought more albums from the South and East then West.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

budsmokeronly

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2002, 10:30:21 AM »
I love the west coast music and I think I will never get tired of it.

Doggystylin

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 10:33:48 AM »
word im sick of this gangsta shit, i wanna hear music i can relate too, i mean all i hear is gangsta shit, too much

Tecknine

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2002, 10:39:37 AM »
Word i talked to infinite about this...I love Dres production and a good amount of artists.But the sound is gettin tired..Dres production aint but the subject of the raps is.

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2002, 10:55:09 AM »

This is why The Source, XXL, Vibe, etc. don't show love towards the West Coast.  This is why MTV and BET don't play as many west coast videos.    

You got a point, but I dont think the lyrics are the reason that you dont have any West Coast Rappers on TV except for 2pac/snoop/dre/xzibit. i mean you got young eAst coast rappers like Freeway, Beanie Sigel, cam'ron ja rule nelly etc etc, their lyrics arent better but they do commercial music in my eyes with Radio Friendly beatz and thats the reason they get airplay
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

BossPlaya

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Much Luv2 lil Villian N NINO Tha Mack OCSA 4 LIFE
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2002, 10:57:05 AM »
I love the west coast music and I think I will never get tired of it.

word

"i putz it down homie for tha BIG S.A 714 till i hit my grave O.C muthafucka till i reach tha top n even then foo i  just wont stop with my gangsta flows or my  gangsta mentality straight takin out all u muthafuckin WANNABES who pussied out cuz in tha city of Santa Ana we aint no nagels puro crazy pimps crazy gangb

GfUnKLBC

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • We hold it down, from da turf to da pen.
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2002, 10:59:05 AM »
i think the beats arent getting old, cuz the west producers are the best producers in the game, but i wanna hear snoop rhymin about the same kinda stuff nas does, but also be able to make that feel good music every now and then along with some party tracks that steer away from that 70's funk style. but at the same time east coast rap is startin to become pussy rap, with ja rule and nelly, and thats what the mainstream wants, so naturally theyre gonna sell. i dont wanna see the west start this whole pussy rap shit, that would be gay. thats what i like about the west, they keep it real with theyre style and dont try to be what theyre not. they just need to boost things lyrically.
Now you don't see what I see
6 keys for a hundred g's
I take a look in the mirror
see myself livin the dream
takin over things, runnin million dolla schemes

ExZit

• CPG Recordz CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • COMPTONS MOST WANTED
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2002, 11:07:45 AM »
yeaa... i think its time for a new WC artists to blow up... all the big artists in the eastcoast made their debut in 98... but the artists on the Wc made it in 92......allmost.... :-/
- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2006 - - -

- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2005 - - -

S.G.V.

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2002, 02:10:47 PM »
i understand what homie is saying but...the east coast is on the same shit....nas says hes a gangsta or thug...so does jayz...mobb deep has nothing but gangster rhymes...the lox are the same...fabolous, camron, beanie sigel...i mean i can go on forever...the east coast has the same shit...even krs and kool g rap are on that street shit...though those two have been doing it since its inception...rakim has street rhymes...so if u think about it all rap is redundant...not just the west and not just the east...the south is the same...so is midwest...right now being street and gangster is the flavor...just to reiterate....the east coast is just as guilty as the west of constant pimp/slut/gangster rhymes...