Author Topic: Albums that you can't believe are...  (Read 518 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Albums that you can't believe are...
« on: July 25, 2002, 12:04:37 PM »
considered classics and albums that you believe are dope but got shitted on.

There are a few these for me.
To start:  Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death

He's one of my favorites emcees but I just don't see how this album is a classic.  It is very watered down with a lot of filler material. 24 tracks and I'd be stretching it to say half are great songs.  The first 2 singles are have shitty pop beats and wack hooks. The terrible "Playa Hater" where Biggie attempts to sing is just wack.  It's just an album that I can't pop it and let the CD ride, I HAVE to hit the forward button too many times.  I'm not even going to comment on how this got 5 Mics.

The W is an album that really is a lot better than people give credit.  13 tracks kept really tight. The Busta track is the only one I don't really like.  Rza really comes thru with the production on this album.  I don't like the fact a 9-10 man  crew has 4 guest spots on a 13 track album but Snoop, Nas and Redman all come thru.  It's an album that you can let ride.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Albums that you can't believe are...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2002, 12:12:55 PM »
I thought Life After death Was Great. Way Better than Ready 2 Die. True it had alot of filler tracks and he could have made a one CD album. But its a classic IMO. I dont consider any of the Wu tang albums classic cause I cant stand them
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2002, 01:20:07 PM »
I thought Life After death Was Great. Way Better than Ready 2 Die. True it had alot of filler tracks and he could have made a one CD album. But its a classic IMO. I dont consider any of the Wu tang albums classic cause I cant stand them

36 chambers is definatly a classic, and wu forever is as near classic as it can get....

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2002, 02:18:44 PM »
I dont consider any of the Wu tang albums classic cause I cant stand them

::) Hip Hop Head?!  ::)

LIL GUY

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2002, 02:27:33 PM »
THOUGH ILLMATIC IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE CD'S IT'S REALLY AN EP.  IT ONLY HAS 9 SONGS  THOUGH ALL 9 SONGS ARE CLASSIC THE ALBUM IS NOT LONG ENOUGH FOR ME TO RIDE TO THE CORNER STORE.  ALSO AQUMINI I THINK THE ALBUM IS GREAT BUT I DONT LISTEN TO IT ANYMORE AS A MATTER OF FACT I TOOK IT BACK FOR SOMETHING ELSE.  THEIR FIRST LP IS CLASSIC THOUGH.

ONE ALBUM I THINK GETS SHITTED ON IS DOGG FOOD, ITS OVERLOOKED BY THE OTHER DEATHROW CLASSICS LIKE DOGGYSTYLE,CHRONIC AND ALL EYES ON ME.  BUT DOOGFOOD IS A CLASSIC IN MY BOOK

S.G.V.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2002, 03:31:36 PM »
THOUGH ILLMATIC IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE CD'S IT'S REALLY AN EP.  IT ONLY HAS 9 SONGS  THOUGH ALL 9 SONGS ARE CLASSIC THE ALBUM IS NOT LONG ENOUGH FOR ME TO RIDE TO THE CORNER STORE.  ALSO AQUMINI I THINK THE ALBUM IS GREAT BUT I DONT LISTEN TO IT ANYMORE AS A MATTER OF FACT I TOOK IT BACK FOR SOMETHING ELSE.  THEIR FIRST LP IS CLASSIC THOUGH.

ONE ALBUM I THINK GETS SHITTED ON IS DOGG FOOD, ITS OVERLOOKED BY THE OTHER DEATHROW CLASSICS LIKE DOGGYSTYLE,CHRONIC AND ALL EYES ON ME.  BUT DOOGFOOD IS A CLASSIC IN MY BOOK

id like to add...if people can consider any mobb deep album classic then Psycho Active by X-Raided and Season of Da Siccness by Brotha Lynch can be considered classic....Stillmatic is not classic....Nor is BluePrint...i think Crip Hop and AngHellic by Jayo Felony and TechN9ne respectively are really tight, solid but very slept on albums...people bashed the jayo cuz he got at their favorite artists...being snoop and jayz....people dont understand TechN9ne....hes too innovative for some people...also hes not west or east coast so he loses points for that....

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2002, 09:24:55 PM »

::) Hip Hop Head?!  ::)

so what you got a problem with that or what. do i hav to like em to be a hip hop head? i just cant stand any of them, except for method man, he had a decent album. too hard to understand?
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

budsmokeronly

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2002, 04:53:56 AM »
albums I consider classics:

murder was the case
friday
luniz operation stackola
celly cel killa kali
wc the shadiest one
daz rr&gb
spice 1 187 he wrote
spice 1 amerikkkas nightmare
the click game related
eazy e 187um its on
outkast atliens
eastsidaz eastsidaz

albums I think are overated:
all 3 eminem albums

DJ_Jay_Deee

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2002, 05:05:54 AM »
albums I consider classics:

murder was the case
friday
luniz operation stackola
celly cel killa kali
wc the shadiest one
daz rr&gb
spice 1 187 he wrote
spice 1 amerikkkas nightmare
the click game related
eazy e 187um its on
outkast atliens
eastsidaz eastsidaz

That list is waaay to westcoast influenced. Nas-Illmatic, ever heard of that????? You can't say that friday is better than illmatic, Even Soul on ice can murder that whole cd with one of its songs.
I don't agree with Eastsidaz either. NEAR CLASSIC. Don't get me wrong its a very dope cd, but not a classic.

DJ_Jay_Deee

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2002, 05:07:13 AM »

id like to add...if people can consider any mobb deep album classic then Psycho Active by X-Raided and Season of Da Siccness by Brotha Lynch can be considered classic....Stillmatic is not classic....Nor is BluePrint...i think Crip Hop and AngHellic by Jayo Felony and TechN9ne respectively are really tight, solid but very slept on albums...people bashed the jayo cuz he got at their favorite artists...being snoop and jayz....people dont understand TechN9ne....hes too innovative for some people...also hes not west or east coast so he loses points for that....

I agree 100%

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2002, 05:21:52 AM »
Im not even gonna jump into this hot water.. Lets just say that:

Illmatic is a BIG TYME CLASSIC

36 Chambers.. BIG TYME CLASSIC

Yall know Im down with the West.. so there aint no need in me naming WC albums as classics.  I agree with all on the West.. too many albums to name as classics out the West.

But even you "Jay.." cant deny that Wu'z first album was classic.  It broke ground.  Id venture to say that all 1 Generation Wu albums broke ground and Im not a Wu Fan.  Illmatic being 10 tracks.. is what helped it become a classic.  All heaters.. no filler.  Nas will never live up to that album.

Biggies 2nd.. was no where near a classic IMO.  (shit.. Im running my mouth.. and I didnt want to get into this mess... oh well..)

It could have easily been trimmed down to an ALMOST CLASSIC single disk album.  Biggie had flow.. but  he didnt live what he talked about like Pac.  The beats where JIGGY EASTY style.  Not a classic IMO.

Axle

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure..
~Theodore Roosevelt

budsmokeronly

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2002, 05:29:51 AM »
That list is waaay to westcoast influenced. Nas-Illmatic, ever heard of that?? You can't say that friday is better than illmatic, Even Soul on ice can murder that whole cd with one of its songs.  
I don't agree with Eastsidaz either. NEAR CLASSIC. Don't get me wrong its a very dope cd, but not a classic.

That is just my opinion man.  I don't listen to hardley any eastcoast music at all.  The only eastcoast album I have ever owned is Nas It Was Written, which I really liked.  Nas is tight, but the music that I really dig is the west coast gangsta shit.  You have your opinion and I have mine, and no opinion is either right or wrong.

Tecknine

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2002, 06:12:16 AM »
You'll broaden your horizens one day...i am a fan of all hip hop not just west coast.and i used to be one of them straight up west coast Gangsta rap fans and now look.

J.Roller

• 'G'
  • STR8 WESTCOASTIN
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2002, 06:31:01 AM »
You'll broaden your horizens one day...i am a fan of all hip hop not just west coast.and i used to be one of them straight up west coast Gangsta rap fans and now look.

Yeah, Im startin too listen to other shit 2...Just wonderin, was Makaveli considered a classic? And what bout 40 dayz & 40 nights? Both of those albums are StR8 classic in my book!
L  E  E  A  N  N     T  W  E  E  D  E  N

Chalkz

• 'G'
  • MC Einar
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2002, 06:54:45 AM »
I dont consider any of the Wu tang albums classic cause I cant stand them

Me neither

[Xzibit]
Now if it wasn't for the West,
these rap niggas wouldn't need
a vest around they chest