Author Topic: Knuckles' countdown: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever  (Read 3843 times)

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
Re: Knuckles' countdown: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2005, 08:45:54 PM »
2pac's "All eyez on me" at 28 is a fuckin joke. It's like top 5 material, easily

It should be higher then 28, but I wouldnt say its top 5 either. Definately top 15 and arguably top 10 even, but not top 5......7 Day Theory, however, is absolutly top 5.

Disc 2 of Eyez does indeed have filler, but there are still alot of bangers on there.....its not nearly as weak as some people make it out to be. Plus, the first disc is nearly flawless, and when you combine that with the fact its one of the most influential hip hop albums ever, you have a landmark achievement. Its still easily the best rap double cd ever IMO, and to be honest, I dont consider ANY album to be flawless.

There is always at least one track on every album that isnt up to par with the others.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 08:50:46 PM by ImmortalOne »
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2005, 12:30:21 PM »
2pac's "All eyez on me" at 28 is a fuckin joke. It's like top 5 material, easily
half of CD 2 is filler

yeah, I would´ve wanted to see Enya too. She´s the queen of real hiphop

Ambitionz Az a Ridah
All About You
Got My Mind Made Up
How Do You Want it
2 of Amerika'z Most Wanted
Life Goes On
Only God Can Judge Me
Tradin War Stories
California Love
I Ain't Mad at Cha
Can't C Me
Shorty Wanna Be a Thug
Holla At Me
Wonda Why They Call u Bitch
When We Ride
Picture Me Rollin
Check Out Time
Rather Be Your N.I.G.G.A.
All Eyez
Run The Streetz
Ain't Hard to Find

U gotta be kiddin me... NO other CD has as many classics on it

Since when are "Check Out Time" or "Rather Be Your N.I.G.G.A." classics outside the Pac fan community?

Knuckles

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2005, 12:35:09 PM »
^^^ They're not.  He just listed every song he liked from the album and labeled them classics.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2005, 03:23:55 PM »
^^^ They're not.  He just listed every song he liked from the album and labeled them classics.

that was what I was trying to suggest. No offense Suffice, but not half of those cuts are classic to people who are just hiphop fans in general and not huge Pac fans in particular

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2005, 04:12:29 PM »
The following songs from AEOM are classic, meaning songs I would give a perfect 5/5 to.

From Disc 1:

Ambitionz Az a Ridah
Got My Mind Made Up
2 Of Amerikaz Most Wanted
No More Pain
Heartz Of Men
Life Goes On
Only God Can Judge Me
I Aint Mad At Cha

Skandolouz, How Do U Want It, All About U, Tradin War Stories, and Cali Love are all near classic but a notch below the above songs in quality......Whatz Ya Phone # is garbage, im a die hard Pac fan and even I dislike that song.

Disc 2:

Cant C Me
Shortys Gonna Be a Thug
Holla At Me (my fav song on Disc 2)
Wonder Why They Call U Bitch
All Eyez On Me
Heaven Aint Hard To Find

^^^those are the classics on disc 2.......the rest range from very good to below average depending on the song.

So, its not a flawless album by any means. But its influence is undeniable and even the non classic songs have sick beats, so the album is definately a classic.

I can see where Suffice is coming from though......people still play and buy this album as if it were only 2-3 years old, so even the lesser songs are classic in the sense that people gonna be playing them for years to come.

Cant really use the fanbase argument either, because Pac's fanbase is more then likely the largest in hip hop history, thus a good portion of hip hop fans in general are gonna think those songs are classic.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 04:19:37 PM by ImmortalOne »

SGV

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2005, 04:18:04 PM »

Thats what most Pac fans do.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2005, 10:51:34 AM »
ImmortalOne:

you´re not making a bad point, but like you said yourself
im a die hard Pac fan
...personally, I do like Pac, but I´m no die hard fan (I used to be btw, but that was way back) and I listen to basically every stlye of hiphop...IMO, there are about 4-5 5/5 cuts on AEOM and there is below-average filler stuff, and many non-die hard fans think the same. And while the album did have an impact and was/is incredibly popular, I don´t see anything wrong with any album ranked higher in the list. Both quality- and importance-wise they´re on a par or better, none has as much stuff you could call filler, only popularity-wise they might not be as huge as AEOM

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2005, 03:45:43 PM »
ImmortalOne:

you´re not making a bad point, but like you said yourself
im a die hard Pac fan
...personally, I do like Pac, but I´m no die hard fan (I used to be btw, but that was way back) and I listen to basically every stlye of hiphop...IMO, there are about 4-5 5/5 cuts on AEOM and there is below-average filler stuff, and many non-die hard fans think the same. And while the album did have an impact and was/is incredibly popular, I don´t see anything wrong with any album ranked higher in the list. Both quality- and importance-wise they´re on a par or better, none has as much stuff you could call filler, only popularity-wise they might not be as huge as AEOM

There's definatly more then 5 classic songs on AEOM, come on now. Disc 1 by itself got at least 7 flawless songs on it....on the songs I listed, try and find flaws on any of them (especially the ones on Disc 1). You cant.....

Quality-wise, there are NOT 27 albums better then this....maybe 10-15 albums. And based on impact ALONE with nothing else considered, this album is top FIVE all time (theres only a handful of hip hop albums that had more impact then this one). When you combine that, this gotta be a top 15 album. Also, you gotta base this on the test of time factor also.....alot of the old school albums on the list havent aged well, and many of them are dated and its very possible, that 10 years from now, they will almost be completely forgotten about. Pac's albums though, will be passed on from generation to generation, making them timeless.

All this hip hop shit is really subjective though, because everyones tastes are so different. CKnuckles loves old school shit alot. While I respect it, its not really my taste (a few albums, but most of my favs were released 92' or later).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 04:00:21 PM by ImmortalOne »

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2005, 07:15:12 AM »
^^ I see where you´re coming from. The vast majority of MY favs were released 92-97, Mecca & Thev Soul Brother, 36 Chambers, Cuban Linx, Liquid Swords, Makaveli, Illmatic, The Infamous, Hell On Earth, The War Report, The Chronic, Reasonable Doubt, ATLiens, Soul Food, Season Of Da Siccness etc...All of these and many more are albums I def feel more than "Criminal Minded" or "Strictly Business" cause most 80´s shit ("Paid In Full" being the best example of an exception though, that album´s just unfuckwithable) does sound too old to me, too. Still I find Knuckles´ list is fair. There´s only a very few older albums you could have left out, "One For All" and "Breaking Atoms" maybe, but generally they´re all about where they belong.

Now AEOM is full of dope fucking songs, BUT in that entire list it remains the album with the most filler material IMO. There´s no doubt you have to mention it and had Pac compiled the flawless songs on one disc and left the filler stuff out (and don´t tell me "What´s Ya Phone Number" or the 2nd version of "Cali love" ain´t filler), the album would be better. That´s the flaw of AEOM though, even though it´s full of great stuff.

And flawless is not the same as classic. "Season Of Da Siccness" is full of flawless songs, but none of them are classic outside the Sac-town gangsta rap community. Pac fans, no offense, should just get rid of their tendency to label anything they find flawless classic. "Only God Can Judge Me", "Tradin War Stories", "Shorty Wanna Be A Thug" or "Holla At Me" are NOT overall hiphop classics, flawless as they might be

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2005, 06:12:54 PM »
^^^Yea, but Pac's fanbase is just a *LITTLE* larger then Brother Lynch's fanbase  ;)

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2005, 06:25:25 PM »
Quality-wise, there are NOT 27 albums better then this....maybe 10-15 albums. And based on impact ALONE with nothing else considered, this album is top FIVE all time (theres only a handful of hip hop albums that had more impact then this one)

c'mon now are you serious ? Just look at knuckles list and you see a whole lotta albums wit a bigger impact. Considering how far developed hiphop was when AEOM was released you really can't compare this to shit like paid in full, raising hell, criminal minded, str8 outta cpt, chronic, 36 chambers, great adventures of slick rick ect, albums that build hiphop / established major styles. AEOM was a dope album, extremely well known and sold, but musically it was in no way groundbreaking, it didn't bring anything new to the table, neither established anything that wasn't yet popular.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2005, 08:24:26 PM »
Quality-wise, there are NOT 27 albums better then this....maybe 10-15 albums. And based on impact ALONE with nothing else considered, this album is top FIVE all time (theres only a handful of hip hop albums that had more impact then this one)

. AEOM was a dope album, extremely well known and sold, but musically it was in no way groundbreaking, it didn't bring anything new to the table, neither established anything that wasn't yet popular.

AEOM brought several new things to the table.

First, it was the rap's first double cd ever. Nobody even thought about making a double album until Pac did it and sold 7 million+......year later everyone and their mommas are releasing double albums.

Second, musically it wasnt groundbreaking, but it was the first album to put up MC Hammer type numbers AND maintain hip hop respect. Also, it is arguably the most COMPLETE rap album ever made, the mainstream album every MC that has come out since dreams of making. It was an album made to appeal to a broad audience yet still be loved by street cats. You can say what you want about all the albums that came out before it, but bottomline, this is the blueprint (sorry Jay) for how a mainstream rap album is made nowadays, been that way since 97'. Its just that todays cats dont do it nearly as well as Pac did. Most of the albums on Knuckles list only had impact in the hip hop world....they didnt have the universal appeal that Pac's albums, in particular this one, had. Im not saying its the best rap album ever but its by far the most COMPLETE hip hop album ever made.

Hip hop has been through so many different trends in the last 8 years and yet this album continues to be a standard regardless of how much the rap landscape changes.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 08:29:37 PM by ImmortalOne »

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2005, 04:49:41 AM »

. AEOM was a dope album, extremely well known and sold, but musically it was in no way groundbreaking, it didn't bring anything new to the table, neither established anything that wasn't yet popular.

AEOM brought several new things to the table.

First, it was the rap's first double cd ever. Nobody even thought about making a double album until Pac did it and sold 7 million+......year later everyone and their mommas are releasing double albums.

Second, musically it wasnt groundbreaking, but it was the first album to put up MC Hammer type numbers AND maintain hip hop respect. Also, it is arguably the most COMPLETE rap album ever made, the mainstream album every MC that has come out since dreams of making. It was an album made to appeal to a broad audience yet still be loved by street cats. You can say what you want about all the albums that came out before it, but bottomline, this is the blueprint (sorry Jay) for how a mainstream rap album is made nowadays, been that way since 97'. Its just that todays cats dont do it nearly as well as Pac did. Most of the albums on Knuckles list only had impact in the hip hop world....they didnt have the universal appeal that Pac's albums, in particular this one, had. Im not saying its the best rap album ever but its by far the most COMPLETE hip hop album ever made.

Hip hop has been through so many different trends in the last 8 years and yet this album continues to be a standard regardless of how much the rap landscape changes.

I said musically,´as for success and it being a double album might've been major but hiphop is a music culture, not a selling tool (well at least it shouldn't be) so what counts to me is the musical impact. Also snoop for example sold nearly as many copies and got love in the streets, it being a double album was also the reason for the high numbers. That doesn't matter much though, no matter how successfull it was and how much love it got, gangsta rap, conscious rap, political rap, has all been 100% established before this album, production wise it wasn't new either. It couldn't possibly compete with albums that built hiphop and established these styles, AEOM wouldn't even sound the way it sounds if it wasn't for these albums.  hiphop development until '96 is 100 x more important than hiphop development after '96 for hiphop. The changes that albums made until '96 are on a whole nother level than changes that albums from then on, inculding AEOM made.

Even IF it is the blueprint of nowadays mainstream albums, it STILL couldn't possibly compete with those kinda albums I mentioned for the simple fact that mainstream rap since '96 is NOTHING compared to the very foundation of the musical culture, which happened before '96. Musically AEOM didn't bring / established anything new, it was all done before, so at least the albums that did that must necessarily be placed above AEOM whenit comes to impact.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2005, 03:58:39 PM »
^^^Yea, but Pac's fanbase is just a *LITTLE* larger then Brother Lynch's fanbase  ;)

you sure? No, of course that´s a point, but even Pac´s fanbase considering something flawless does not make it a hiphop classic

rafsta

Re: C2Knuckles' countdown: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2005, 05:08:56 AM »
Id have said Safe + Sound was better than 2001

way 2 fonky is better than 2001 aswell..

Fressh_Deini

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Offline Offline
  • G-Funk
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2005, 12:27:04 PM »
Ok..I know it's YOUR opinion..
But how can GZA'S - LIQUID SWORDS not be in your top 10  :o  :loco:
Same goes for Doggystyle and No One Can Do It Better

Knuckles

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2005, 02:33:44 PM »

hahaha
Which three albums in my top ten would you take out to get these in?  Let's see your top ten.

Da Flamboyant 1

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2005, 03:48:37 PM »
this immortalone cat is spittin sum truth on u bitches keep it up dogg i got ur back. these niggas hatin on aeom

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2005, 08:54:46 PM »
^^^chillout man....it aint that serious. Just a friendly disagreement.

I dont think they are hating on AEOM, just underrating it.

Fressh_Deini

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Offline Offline
  • G-Funk
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2005, 10:41:40 AM »

hahaha
Which three albums in my top ten would you take out to get these in?  Let's see your top ten.

My top 10

1. 2 Pac - All Eyez On Me
2. Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
4. The D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better
5. TQ - They Never Saw Me Coming (not really rap..but yeaah)
6. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
7. GZA - Liquid Swords
8. Mobb Deep - Hell On Earth
9. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
10. Ghostface (Killah) - The Pretty Toney Album

Other Notable Mentions:
Murs - 3:16 (the 9th Edition)
Westside Connection - Bow Down
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton!
Nas - Illmatic
2 Pac - Me Against The World
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele

Ok..I gotta agree I never really listened much to groups like A Tribe Called Quest, Boogie Down Productions etc. etc.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2005, 11:25:41 AM »
Pretty Toney Album ::)

Fressh_Deini

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Offline Offline
  • G-Funk
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2005, 11:33:43 AM »
Yess..
Pretty Toney Album is easily the best album of the last 5 years

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2005, 11:38:21 AM »
Yess..
Pretty Toney Album is easily the best album of the last 5 years

no. It´s good but hell naw...even ´04 had better stuff. Plus, it had no such thing as an influence on the rap game

Knuckles

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2005, 12:23:13 PM »
My top 10

3. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. GZA - Liquid Swords

Other Notable Mentions:
Nas - Illmatic

Ok..I gotta agree I never really listened much to groups like A Tribe Called Quest, Boogie Down Productions etc. etc.

hahahaha
You got me.  That is a superior list.

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2005, 02:31:23 PM »
My top 10

3. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. GZA - Liquid Swords

Other Notable Mentions:
Nas - Illmatic

hahahaha
You got me.  That is a superior list.
why are you so arrogant?
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)