Author Topic: Knuckles' countdown: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever  (Read 5101 times)

BizzyR.I.P.

Re: Knuckles' countdown: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2005, 05:17:59 PM »
Yeah cause if you broke a record the Beatles held it has 2 be good.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2005, 05:34:43 PM »
It WAS a huge hit, but today itīs just not as well known about as Cali Love or Killing Me Softly. Plus, it (I dunno why) never got that much attention overseas. You can pull the what-do-you-fuckin-europeans-know-about-hiphop card, but to me, the biggest rap song ever has to be a worldwide hit that is still played everywhere years later. Now, Iīm European, so I donīt know what itīs like in the US, but you wonīt hear the song at an average hiphop party round here, whereas "Whatīs My Name" or "Cali Love" are always put on. And I know people who listen to Big L, JMT and Little Brother, but in whose case Iīm 98% sure that if I told them about "Crossroads", theyīd be like "whatīs that?". Strange to you maybe, but true.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2005, 05:38:53 PM »
It WAS a huge hit, but today itīs just not as well known about as Cali Love or Killing Me Softly. Plus, it (I dunno why) never got that much attention overseas. You can pull the what-do-you-fuckin-europeans-know-about-hiphop card, but to me, the biggest rap song ever has to be a worldwide hit that is still played everywhere years later. Now, Iīm European, so I donīt know what itīs like in the US, but you wonīt hear the song at an average hiphop party round here, whereas "Whatīs My Name" or "Cali Love" are always put on. And I know people who listen to Big L, JMT and Little Brother, but in whose case Iīm 98% sure that if I told them about "Crossroads", theyīd be like "whatīs that?". Strange to you maybe, but true.

only reason Cali Love and Killing Me Softly would be more well known overseas is because of WHO made them. Pac and the Fugees are much bigger worldwide then Bone is. But as far as commercial success goes, Crossroads was a bigger hit then either of them. Again, that shit broke a Beatles record. A BEATLES record!!

And of course it isnt gonna get played in clubs or parties, its not a club/party type of song, lol.
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2005, 07:33:14 PM »
I was going to address the Bone Thugs issue after I was done butI don't think it'll be a suprise that they aren't in the top two.

To put it bluntly, they are a one-hit wonder.  This board is the only place I've ever seen BTNH get love.  In the mid-90s when they were at the height of their popularity, not once did I even hear their names when my friends and I discussed hip-hop in high school.  I've never heard them played at a party, never heard any other their songs at a club.  They might get an article on them in some of the hip-hop mags when they have albums coming out but I've never noticed them get an real love.  They are pretty much nobodies in the history of hip-hop as far as I'm concerned.

They have made just about no impact on the rap game, they are original, I'll give them that but no one seemed to bite thier style or copy them, they aren't influencial at all.  The other big artists from the mid-west, Common, Eminem, Kayne, etc. took nothing from them.  I don't see how they put the mid-west on the map.  They are just a group from that area that happened to sell a lot of records.

You'll never hear anyone of them mentioned as one of the greatest MCs ever or even good MCs for that matter.  They aren't top notch producers.  Bone Thugs haven't made an album anywhere in the same league as the albums mentioned and frankly, wouldn't even make the top 100.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2005, 07:39:14 PM »
And actually you can't really argue against Fressh_Deini and hellrazor's top 10 because those are obviously thier personal top ten and just has to do with thier own personal taste.  My list isn't done like that. 

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2005, 07:50:20 PM »
I never really saw Knuckles list as some personal stuff tbh. It was like some official, mathematical generated list if you know what I mean :D Like if done by an independent, quality magazine (that doesnt get paid for ranking something or applying to its fanbase, etc)
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2005, 07:53:52 PM »
I never really saw Knuckles list as some personal stuff tbh. It was like some official, mathematical generated list if you know what I mean :D Like if done by an independent, quality magazine (that doesnt get paid for ranking something or applying to its fanbase, etc)

Pretty much.  For example, I don't even like Public Enemy and they have two albums there and one up way up at number seven.

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2005, 08:08:09 PM »
Bone Thugs have had many hits Thuggish Ruggish Bone, Tha 1st Of Tha Month, Tha Crossroads, Look Into My Eyes, Days Of Our Livez,etc. Maybe where your from they don't like Bone but pretty much everyone I know likes Bone and in school we talk about Bone alot. I know alot more people who listen 2 Bone than they do Common or Eminem. If you ever listened 2 The Gift by Bizzy Bone you would know he is a very underated MC and Lyricist. When they blew up really no one from tha Midwest was know. But it's your opinion that alot here disagree with.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 12:11:26 AM by BizzyR.I.P. »

rafsta

« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2005, 12:05:22 AM »
i have a weird feeling illmatic will be no. 1...

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2005, 12:15:36 AM »
I've never heard them played at a party, never heard any other their songs at a club
Not all music is made 2 dance 2 and Bone Thugs don't make club music. How tha hell do you dance 2 Mo Murda, Buddah Luvaz, or Die Die Die?

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2005, 12:21:21 AM »
I was going to address the Bone Thugs issue after I was done butI don't think it'll be a suprise that they aren't in the top two.

To put it bluntly, they are a one-hit wonder.  This board is the only place I've ever seen BTNH get love.  In the mid-90s when they were at the height of their popularity, not once did I even hear their names when my friends and I discussed hip-hop in high school.  I've never heard them played at a party, never heard any other their songs at a club.  They might get an article on them in some of the hip-hop mags when they have albums coming out but I've never noticed them get an real love.  They are pretty much nobodies in the history of hip-hop as far as I'm concerned.

They have made just about no impact on the rap game, they are original, I'll give them that but no one seemed to bite thier style or copy them, they aren't influencial at all.  The other big artists from the mid-west, Common, Eminem, Kayne, etc. took nothing from them.  I don't see how they put the mid-west on the map.  They are just a group from that area that happened to sell a lot of records.

You'll never hear anyone of them mentioned as one of the greatest MCs ever or even good MCs for that matter.  They aren't top notch producers.  Bone Thugs haven't made an album anywhere in the same league as the albums mentioned and frankly, wouldn't even make the top 100.

Man, if this aint the defintion of a hater, I dont know what is......E.1999 Eternal not in the top 100?? Wow, I dont even know what to say to that.....How can you not see that they put the midwest on the map?? Who was repping the midwest before Bone, on a successful commercial level?? No one. And Em, Common, and Kanye may not have been influenced from Bone, but other groups such as Crucial Conflict, Do or Die and 3-6 Mafia all started rapping like Bone after E.1999 dropped. They just never blew up, because they didnt do the style as good as Bone, nor did they have the mainstream appeal that Bone did. Without Bone, midwest would have gone another 5-6 years before they would have been seen as force like the east and west were.

sad thing is, its pretty far from the truth. Especially the part of them being one-hit wonders.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 12:40:58 AM by ImmortalOne »
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2005, 12:35:34 AM »

Man, if this aint the defintion of a hater, I dont know what is......E.1999 Eternal not in the top 100?? Wow, I dont even know what to say to that.....

sad thing is, its pretty far from the truth. Especially the part of them being one-hit wonders.

Yeah they had alot of hits plus other classic tracks like No Surrender, Foe Tha Love of Money,Thug Luv,Notorius Thugs, and no one can touch them when in comes 2 tracks about weed.

Da Flamboyant 1

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2005, 02:15:42 AM »
yo 2 dat nigga talkin bout crossroads i agree i dont think its da biggest song n shit but damn u cant be bustin dat well if it aint big in europe it aint as big as dat shit dat is played a lot here cuz man if sum rapper was rappin over techno music n shit dat shit would blow da fuck up in like japan n shit but dat dont mean its a big ass single
also mayne if u sayin e1999 aint top 100 u on sum serious hater shit

mauzip

« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2005, 04:39:01 AM »
It WAS a huge hit, but today itīs just not as well known about as Cali Love or Killing Me Softly. Plus, it (I dunno why) never got that much attention overseas.

I don't think I know anybody who doesn't know Tha Crossroads.

if u sayin e1999 aint top 100 u on sum serious hater shit

Yep.

And to whoever said Bone Thugs didn't have an original style... LOL!!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 04:40:44 AM by E Pluribus Unum: Mauzip »

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2005, 05:44:48 AM »
Not all music is made 2 dance 2 and Bone Thugs don't make club music. How tha hell do you dance 2 Mo Murda, Buddah Luvaz, or Die Die Die?

The parties I've gone to they don't really play music for dancing, they just throw on what people like.  I'll hear Mobb Deep, Outkast, Dr. Dre...but never Bone Thugs.  Just an example of how I don't notice anyone giving a fuck about them.

Yeah they had alot of hits plus other classic tracks like No Surrender, Foe Tha Love of Money,Thug Luv,Notorius Thugs, and no one can touch them when in comes 2 tracks about weed.

They can't be too big of hits, I've only heard of one song there ("Notorious Thugs") and I don't even think that was a single.  Redman and Devin The Dude will make better weed songs hands down.