Author Topic: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #41...  (Read 1632 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #41...
« on: May 11, 2005, 06:19:45 PM »
Makaveli - The Don Kiluminati: The 7 Day Theory (1996)

This album strikes a nice balance between a hardcore 2Pac at his most thugged out with songs that betray his intelligence and also give tastes of why All Eyez On Me crossed over so successfully. For each song like "Toss it Up" featuring K-Ci and JoJo that sounds pop, hardcore anthems like "Me And My Girlfriend" bring things into balance. Although the sound of his lady firing off an automated weapon and grunting like Master P is quasi-comical, it makes sense when you consider that this clever song is a double-entendre comparing his weapons of choice to a female lover. As an ode to weaponry it rivals "I Gave You Power" by Nas and as an ode to thug girls it's the West coast sequel to Notorious B.I.G.'s infamous "Me And My Bitch".

Now some argue that All Eyez On Me is his best but this album shows 2Pac his most aggressive and agruably the deepest album he ever made.  On the opener, "Bomb First", he spits raw lyrics dissin' on Bad Boy, Mobb Deep & Jay-Z.  Even Young Noble spits heat about how he only hangs wit real eastcoast niggas who are from New Jersey. Now the best thing about this album is that it's just like a movie, each track is an opening for the next track... "Hail Mary" is great track but yet errie at the same time with the bells, lyrics and Prince Ital Joe's vocals. 2Pac comes through with Val Young on "To Live and Die In L.A." over a nice laid-back beat laced by QD3. He mentions all the dope hot spots in L.A. and about life in L.A. as well as the Death Row Family members Snoop Doggy Dogg, Suge Knight, O.F.T.B. & Tha Dogg Pound.  "Blasphemy" is another great Hurt-M-Badd produced track but the intro of the track is freaky enough to the point to not make you wanna play it. Since there's a strange evil echo-sounding voice talking about Jesus Christ. Overall, the track is good as he discusses the negative things in his life and what he feels about death.   On "White Man'z World" he discusses the issue how blacks live in a world controlled, populated and influenced by whites. This is one of the most deepest tracks espcially since it features some words from Malcom X's speech.

"Against All Odds", the last track where 2Pac comes lyrically ill and goes after all his enemies.  He goes off on Puffy, De La Soul, Mobb Deep, Nas & Jay-Z.  Overall, this album is excellent and my favourite of his.  Unlike All Eyez On Me, this album is more rough, rugged and raw.  He spits his most serious, deepest & painful thoughts all on this album.  Not every song on this album is a sure-fire hit, but on such a shortened and intensified dose of 2Pac's work the results are much more even than the overly long All Eyez On Me.  As tight as this album is, most of the allure of this album is that it's the last album he recorded and the mysterious nature surrounding this album, from the name change, the album cover and title, to the legions of fans calling this is some proof he's still with us.  Despite the speed at which this album was put together none of the songs here sound rushed, it's actually pretty fluid. This album's success and the further releases that it spawned solidified 2Pac's reputation as one of the all-time greats, but what this CD illustrates best and most sadly is what kind of work 2Pac could have continued to do were it not for his untimely death. 1996 robbed us of his physical presence, but his spirit lived on through the music and still haunts us to this very day.

50. Dr. Dre – 2001 (1999)
49. Outkast – Southernplayalisticaddicmuzik (1994)
48. Jay-Z – Reasonable Doubt (1996)
47. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo – Wanted: Dead Or Alive (1990)
46. Redman – Whut? Thee Album (1992)
45. De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead (1991)
44. Fugees – The Score (1996)
43. The D.O.C. – No One Can Do It Better (1989)
42. Common Sense - Resurrection (1994)
41. Makaveli - The Don Kiluminati: The 7 Day Theory (1996)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 10:19:41 AM by C2Knuckles »

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #41...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 06:23:56 PM »
Number 41-50 was the most difficult part to do.  I forgot about The D.O.C. and the Fugees when started this list and had to cut two albums to get them in there.  The ordering of these ten were kinda hard to.

The top 40 albums are solid, they definetely belong in the top 50.

And yousendit.com was fucking up on me.  The album ain't up.

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 06:33:11 PM »
Great job on the ongoing countdown, homie. So I'm assuming "All Eyez On Me" didn't make the final cut, right?

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 07:07:26 PM »
So I'm assuming "All Eyez On Me" didn't make the final cut, right?

Well, I can't say that.
I do like this album better than All Eyez On Me but that doesn't automatically make it a higher rank.  This isn't my personal top 50, if it was number #40 wouldn't be on it.

SGV

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 07:10:15 PM »
Let the crying begin.

*Grabs 100's of boxes of tissues for the Pac dickriders*

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 08:04:05 PM »
although i disagree with you on this being #41, i think it's more of a personal preference to me that this one is in my top 10. nice fuckin work with the review though...again...

Wicked977

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 818 VALLE Bitches!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 08:28:15 PM »
I read another a review just like dis  ???

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 09:17:43 PM »

he siad in the beginning that he wont be writing most of the review for each album. Well, $41 ain't a big shock, i thought it was gonna be a snoop dogg album
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Wicked977

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 818 VALLE Bitches!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 10:25:05 PM »

he siad in the beginning that he wont be writing most of the review for each album. Well, $41 ain't a big shock, i thought it was gonna be a snoop dogg album
Ohh My Bad

Elevz

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 01:12:20 AM »
Good looking & props on another dope review

Traumatized

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 05:12:49 AM »
Number 1 for me.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 05:30:45 AM »
i´d rank it higher, but there is a lot of personal preference to that

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 07:59:28 AM »
Makaveli number #41?  :yikes: :o ???. Whatever I guess it's all personal preference even though I would put that album in the top five of all time. I can't wait 'till I see your top ten and it better be a fuckin good top ten list. I must see the completion of this list so I can see the other 40 albums you put over 7 day theory.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 08:47:21 AM »
Let the crying begin.

*Grabs 100's of boxes of tissues for the Pac dickriders*

lol

this may have been slightly higher imo, but to each his own...im betting that for most of the albums in the list, there are some positions that even now your not totally happy about yourself...

props

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 08:57:28 AM »
prop for the review and the list,keep it comming!