Author Topic: anyone know of a decent bit of mail proxy server software?  (Read 72 times)

Don Seer

basically the deal is this...

at home i have two pc's..

one in my garage, the other is in my bedroom.

the one in my garage is on 24 hours a day.. the one in my room is on when i'm awake...

overnight i get so much junk (3000+ messages) that for my main computer to download it all and sort it out takes longer than it takes me to get up, wash, do my teeth, dress, eat breakfast, quickly check over wcc and sort myself out before leaving for work.. and before you say get a faster connection.. i'm on 2 meg ADSL.. the fastest i can get at the moment..

i have a good spam checker running in outlook 2003 but its taking a long ass time to download all these messages..

what i'd like is something thats pretty dumb i can run on the other pc that basically will collect the mail from a few pop3 accounts i specify at say 15 minute intervals and that i can point my outlook to instead..

any ideas?

oh and both are running Windows XP Pro

Doggystylin

Re: anyone know of a decent bit of mail proxy server software?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 01:26:52 AM »
that reminds me i gotta brush my teeth...  :)

anyways a good site to ask these kinda questions on is this forum my cousin introduced me to, gotapex.com (the forums) theres a lot of hardware/software those type of questions in dedicated forums, and theres well educated people on the subjects there.

The Watcher

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 01:52:50 AM »
so, your computer in the garage downloads all your mail, then your pc in the bedroom grabs the mail from that?

do you have a mailserver & shit running on your pc in the garage?
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 02:26:04 AM »
^ noo.. thats what i _want_ to happen with my mail.. so i need the name of a mailserver to run there..

right now the garage pc runs emule, an ftp server, irc and remote control access for me to do stuff from work (which is where i am now)

The Watcher

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 04:22:53 AM »
ok

you could just throw windows 200x server on there and use the SMTP server that comes with IIS. You can install IIS through Add/Remove Programs on a Windows 2000/XP professional PC, dunno if you can install the SMTP component though

you could also try using something like IMail, or if you really want to goto all the trouble, install something like vmware, then install linux in that, and setup a mail server inside that. that'd give you a virtual linux environment on your PC, it'd be stable enough if you backed it up etc.. alot of ISPs run servers in that type of virtual environment
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden