Author Topic: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #41...  (Read 1628 times)

Thuglife

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Well if kurupt gave a fuck about a bitch...
Re: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #41...
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2005, 12:00:26 PM »
this album should be top 10

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2005, 01:20:29 PM »
Since it's based on impact i expect to see AEOM in the top 5.

Read again... It's not ONLY based on impact. That would mean 50 Cent and Eminem would have to be somewhere up there too  :-X

I'm not even sure if we should expect All Eyez On Me in this top50 at all. Maybe, but not in the top 10.

Eminem and 50 Cent have had almost no impact or influence whatsoever on the rap game. They're just very popular. There is a difference.

AEOM was an album that set countless trends and formulas for other rappers to use (ironically, Eminem and 50 Cent are two of the primary examples of this). Pac's double cd changed the rap game forever, for better or worse.
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Elevz

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2005, 02:53:15 PM »
That's just what I was saying... All Eyez On Me stirred up the game as in making 2Pac the biggest rapper of all time. That's the same Get Rich Or Die Tryin' and The Slim Shady LP (and more The Marshall Mathers LP) did: they turned the rappers into world famous icons. Then again, All Eyez On Me definately has had more influence on the game ever since it's release than any of 50 or Eminem's cd's. But still... What I was trying to say...

They're popular records. They had their impact, even though Eminem and 50 haven't really been copied much. But are they classics? All Eyez On Me probably is a classic, in the sense of the type of tracks Pac had on that album, that's been copied a lot ever since. They were nice. There were some REAL nice tracks on AEOM. But is it really ground breaking? Mind blowing? A once in a lifetime experience?

Nah. I'm not trying to hate on 'Pac, but in my opinion AEOM didn't really have the CONTENT that most of the albums around the top 10 probably will have. A blueprint when it comes to making successful party tracks, but it's not mindblowing.

I'll just prepare to get hated on & see my karma drop by at least 10 just for making this post & thinking this way ;)

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2005, 03:11:18 PM »
If this list was just based on quality of the music The 7 Day Theory should be in the top 5.

I wonder how this list would be different if the list was just based on quality rather then impact and influence...

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2005, 05:19:30 PM »
Even though this is my fav album ever, it should still be in ANYONE'S top 10 even from an unbiased point of view. Pac is one of the greatest hip hop artists ever (and the official goat in many peoples opinion), and this is his best work. Based on that consideration alone, this HAS to be a top 10 if not top 5 album.

And true, AEOM had more impact then this album, but only in a direct sense in that it became a blueprint for commercial artists of today to use. Are we basing this list on impact/influence, or just straight up quality?? If its just on the music alone, Makaveli takes shits all over AEOM....musically and lyrically. If it is based on impact, I could see why someone might rate AEOM higher, but even so, I would still rate Makaveli as being Pac's best and one of the best albums period because:

it did actually have alot of impact, just a different kind of impact. This album was ahead of its time, and it blew peoples minds when it came out. AEOM didnt do that. People loved it, yes, but they werent calling it "the deepest album ever made" or the hip hop bible as Makavel is often called. Plus the fact he recorded it in just 3 days =  :o "Blasphemy" alone gotta make this one of the best albums ever. I remember the first time I heard that song, my jaw nearly fell to the ground.

From about 96'-2000, most people considered MATW or AEOM to be Pac's best (depending on who u asked), but for the last several years, ive met more and more people that consider 7 Day Theory to be his finest....and now that seems to be the consensus. Remember, this album was out of print for about 2 years, so some people may have forgotten about it, but when it was remastered in 2001 and brought back into circulation, I think it reminded people. Since that time on, most people I come across agree that it is indeed his watershed release.

I don't know if you are friends with a bunch of people from the 2Pac fan club or something and they have a heavy influence on your thoughts because I'd have to say, most people don't hold this album in such high regard.
Most people don't think this album was "ahead of its time".
Most people don't call it "the deepest album ever made" or "the hip hop bible.  Infact I've never heard anyone say that.
Most people didn't care that it was rerelased and didn't remind people of anything.
Most people wouldn't have this in their top 5, 10 or 20 greatest albums ever.

It's an excellent album without a doubt but it's not in the same league of the real hip-hop classics you'll see in the top 10.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2005, 05:23:22 PM »
I don't have time to get number thirty-five up today or even tomorrow.  Hopefully I'll get it up on Friday.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2005, 06:42:43 PM »
That's just what I was saying... All Eyez On Me stirred up the game as in making 2Pac the biggest rapper of all time. That's the same Get Rich Or Die Tryin' and The Slim Shady LP (and more The Marshall Mathers LP) did: they turned the rappers into world famous icons. Then again, All Eyez On Me definately has had more influence on the game ever since it's release than any of 50 or Eminem's cd's. But still... What I was trying to say...

They're popular records. They had their impact, even though Eminem and 50 haven't really been copied much. But are they classics? All Eyez On Me probably is a classic, in the sense of the type of tracks Pac had on that album, that's been copied a lot ever since. They were nice. There were some REAL nice tracks on AEOM. But is it really ground breaking? Mind blowing? A once in a lifetime experience?

Nah. I'm not trying to hate on 'Pac, but in my opinion AEOM didn't really have the CONTENT that most of the albums around the top 10 probably will have. A blueprint when it comes to making successful party tracks, but it's not mindblowing.

I'll just prepare to get hated on & see my karma drop by at least 10 just for making this post & thinking this way ;)

Naw, you aint gonna get hated on, because you came at me correct.

Artistically speaking AEOM wasnt groundbreaking....Pac was rapping about things that had been rapped about before. What made it big though was that it was the first album of its kind: a deluxe street album designed to crossover to the mainstream but still retaining hip hop respect.

Content wise its very versatile but its not his deepest album.....MATW and Makaveli were both much deeper.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2005, 06:48:40 PM »
Even though this is my fav album ever, it should still be in ANYONE'S top 10 even from an unbiased point of view. Pac is one of the greatest hip hop artists ever (and the official goat in many peoples opinion), and this is his best work. Based on that consideration alone, this HAS to be a top 10 if not top 5 album.

And true, AEOM had more impact then this album, but only in a direct sense in that it became a blueprint for commercial artists of today to use. Are we basing this list on impact/influence, or just straight up quality?? If its just on the music alone, Makaveli takes shits all over AEOM....musically and lyrically. If it is based on impact, I could see why someone might rate AEOM higher, but even so, I would still rate Makaveli as being Pac's best and one of the best albums period because:

it did actually have alot of impact, just a different kind of impact. This album was ahead of its time, and it blew peoples minds when it came out. AEOM didnt do that. People loved it, yes, but they werent calling it "the deepest album ever made" or the hip hop bible as Makavel is often called. Plus the fact he recorded it in just 3 days =  :o "Blasphemy" alone gotta make this one of the best albums ever. I remember the first time I heard that song, my jaw nearly fell to the ground.

From about 96'-2000, most people considered MATW or AEOM to be Pac's best (depending on who u asked), but for the last several years, ive met more and more people that consider 7 Day Theory to be his finest....and now that seems to be the consensus. Remember, this album was out of print for about 2 years, so some people may have forgotten about it, but when it was remastered in 2001 and brought back into circulation, I think it reminded people. Since that time on, most people I come across agree that it is indeed his watershed release.

I don't know if you are friends with a bunch of people from the 2Pac fan club or something and they have a heavy influence on your thoughts because I'd have to say, most people don't hold this album in such high regard.
Most people don't think this album was "ahead of its time".
Most people don't call it "the deepest album ever made" or "the hip hop bible.  Infact I've never heard anyone say that.
Most people didn't care that it was rerelased and didn't remind people of anything.
Most people wouldn't have this in their top 5, 10 or 20 greatest albums ever.

It's an excellent album without a doubt but it's not in the same league of the real hip-hop classics you'll see in the top 10.

Apparantly alot of people agree with me, because the album went #1 and sold over 5 million......and its STILL selling by the bucketloads almost 9 years after its release. I have a gut feeling it is selling more today then the albums that will be in your top 10 are. Sales dont mean much, but that isnt the point im making anyway. The fact its selling so long after its release must mean ALOT of people consider it classic.

And you crazy as fuck if you think people didnt care when this album dropped.......This shit sold like 750,000 in its first week alone then like another 400K in its second week, which back then was almost unheard of. I remember alot of retailers reporting that the album was selling so fast they couldnt keep it in stock. I even remember going to the Tower Records down the street from where I live when it first came out, and seeing the line like 200 deep at midnight. I wasnt even able to get my copy until the second week it was out, thats how much it was selling.

You lying if you say most people dont have this album in their top 20.......almost everyone I meet has this album in their top 10, much less the top 20.

I dont know, you must live in a completley different area then I do......around these parts, Pac is a hip hop god.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 06:54:16 PM by The Sneaker Pimp »

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2005, 11:18:33 PM »
Apparantly alot of people agree with me, because the album went #1 and sold over 5 million......and its STILL selling by the bucketloads almost 9 years after its release. I have a gut feeling it is selling more today then the albums that will be in your top 10 are. Sales dont mean much, but that isnt the point im making anyway. The fact its selling so long after its release must mean ALOT of people consider it classic.

And you crazy as fuck if you think people didnt care when this album dropped.......This shit sold like 750,000 in its first week alone then like another 400K in its second week, which back then was almost unheard of. I remember alot of retailers reporting that the album was selling so fast they couldnt keep it in stock. I even remember going to the Tower Records down the street from where I live when it first came out, and seeing the line like 200 deep at midnight. I wasnt even able to get my copy until the second week it was out, thats how much it was selling.

You lying if you say most people dont have this album in their top 20.......almost everyone I meet has this album in their top 10, much less the top 20.

I dont know, you must live in a completley different area then I do......around these parts, Pac is a hip hop god.

-first point means nothing
-I said rerelease
-you're wrong, maybe on this message board and to your friends and 2Pac groupies but this is not a top 20 album
-2Pac is a hip-hop god to some, I'm not debating that.  Rakim, KRS, Kane, Nas, Jay, Big, G Rap, 'Face & Cube are all hip-hop gods to some people too.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2005, 11:23:54 PM »

-first point means nothing
-I said rerelease
-you're wrong, maybe on this message board and to your friends and 2Pac groupies but this is not a top 20 album
-2Pac is a hip-hop god to some, I'm not debating that.  Rakim, KRS, Kane, Nas, Jay, Big, G Rap, 'Face & Cube are all hip-hop gods to some people too.

It does mean something......it means the album has stood the test of time.

ok, you mean the re-release. Well, even then, the album was immediatly back on the catalog charts. So, my point still stands.

Im wrong?? No im not. Im not necessarily right either, but there is NO WAY for you to prove with concrete facts that Makaveli isnt a top 10 album. Just like I cant prove with concrete facts that it IS a top 10 album. Cause in the end, all this hip hop shit is so subjective anyway. All im saying is, most people i meet/talk to/ or come across (both on and offline), Pac fan or not, that love hip hop, have this album as a top 20 album.....most actually as a top 10 album and some even agree with me fully and have it as their #1 album all time. And they arent necessarily Pac fans. I know people who hate almost all his work but absolutly love this album.

I have yet still to see anyone counter my point that Pac being one of the top hip hop artists ever and this being his best work would make this a top 10 album by default.....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 11:27:09 PM by The Sneaker Pimp »

Elevz

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2005, 05:12:56 AM »
What made it big though was that it was the first album of its kind: a deluxe street album designed to crossover to the mainstream but still retaining hip hop respect.

Doggystyle, 3 Feet High And Rising, Regulate G-Funk Era... There's more people that did it before Pac did it. And keep in mind, a great artist doesn't necessarily make great albums. I definately feel like Pac would've had it in him to make the #1 album of all time, no doubt, but I just don't feel like neither MATW, nor AEOM, nor the 7 day theory deserve to even be near that spot. Pac could've and maybe even should've done better. It's not in my top10 of all time. Not even in my top20. I'm sorry.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2005, 05:26:59 AM »
What made it big though was that it was the first album of its kind: a deluxe street album designed to crossover to the mainstream but still retaining hip hop respect.

but I just don't feel like neither MATW, nor AEOM, nor the 7 day theory deserve to even be near that spot. Pac could've and maybe even should've done better. It's not in my top10 of all time. Not even in my top20. I'm sorry.

wow, I dont even know what to say to that.......its like you want the man to do back flips or something. LOL.

Ive always thought all three of those albums were stellar, with 7 Day Theory being practically flawless.

Doggystyle, 3 Feet High, or G-Funk Era didnt have the sheer scope that AEOM did......technically speaking AEOM was the first of its kind. It isnt the best hip hop album ever by any means, but its w/o a doubt the most complete.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 05:32:12 AM by The Sneaker Pimp »