Author Topic: Read this if you don't like your neighbors pet  (Read 49 times)

Matrix Heart

  • Guest
Read this if you don't like your neighbors pet
« on: May 20, 2005, 07:16:07 PM »
Every year, by some estimates, about 10,000 dogs and cats are victims of accidental poisoning by automobile antifreeze. A pet does not have to drink a lot of antifreeze to be poisoned. Most brands of commercial antifreeze consist of 95 percent ethylene glycol, an extremely toxic chemical. Even a few licks of this sweet-tasting liquid can be fatal to a cat or dog. (Ethylene- glycol-based antifreeze is also extremely hazardous to children. A few ounces are lethal.) For a medium sized dog, ingestion of about 2 ounces (3-4 tablespoons ) is toxic. For cats, as little as 1/4 of an ounce (1-2 teaspoons) can be lethal. Antifreeze poisoning commonly occurs in spring and fall when car owners replace the old antifreeze with fresh antifreeze in their car radiators. However, poisoning can happen anytime, particularly when a car boils over or when a hose leaks, releasing the antifreeze. As mentioned above, this poisoning happens often to animals who are allowed to roam freely in their neighborhoods, but another high risk group are those dogs who are confined in garages and who may not always be provided with adequate fresh drinking water. These dogs may gain access to improperly or inadequately stored antifreeze or lick spilled or leaked antifreeze off the garage floor. If it is necessary to confine your pet(s) to your garage, make sure antifreeze containers are well secured and your animal has plenty of fresh water.

Another source of antifreeze are the decorative "snow globes" glassware. The liquid in the these displays contain 2% antifreeze and are very toxic. I recently received of call of a young cat poisoned when ingesting some of the liquid from a shattered "snow globe".

Both cats and dog are attracted to the smell and taste of ethylene glycol. Therefore, when you or a member of your household changes antifreeze in the driveway, be sure to collect all of the waste coolant and properly dispose of it. And never leave a bucket of ethylene-glycol coolant unattended - even for a moment. Also remember that your car can leak coolant at any time. If you see a puddle of greenish-colored liquid in your driveway, flush the area with plenty of water and don't delay locating and fixing the leak. Another method of quick clean-up is to spread cat litter on the spill, clean up with rags (which are bagged immediately) and then rinse. Antifreeze will biodegrade in the environment, but it takes weeks or months to do so, so removing the spill is absolutely essential.

Antifreeze poisoning occurs in two stages: In the first stage, the ethylene glycol in the antifreeze causes a drunken appearance in the animal within about 30 minutes which may continue for several hours. After passing through stage 1, the animal appears to recover. Stage 2 begins when the dog's liver begins metabolizing the ethylene glycol, changing it into more toxic substances. Within 12 to 36 hours of ingestion, these metabolites have reached such a level that the dog's kidneys stop functioning, and the animal slips into a coma
.

Getting the dog to a veterinarian is critical within the first 9-12 hours following ingestion. After that length of time, the liver will have already begun metabolizing the ethylene glycol into substances that cause kidney failure and ultimately death. I have been asked the question by several people-What should be done immediately care for my pet. Should I induce vomiting or give activated charcoal to my pet? These are very short term fixes and not a cure. The faster your pet is treated by a veterinarian the better the chances of recovery. Again, this poison is extremely toxic.

Another source of help is the National Poison Control Center, 800-548-2423. This call will cost $50.

Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning include a drunken appearance including staggering, lack of coordination, and apparent disorientation and vomiting. The animal may appear listless and depressed. Because early signs of antifreeze poisoning often mimic signs of other illness, neither you or your veterinarian may suspect antifreeze poisoning until it is too late. Fortunately, in house lab tests performed by your veterinarian by assist in the diagnosis of antifreeze toxicity.

In our practice we had a tragic incident involving two pets. One dog ingested antifreeze and then vomited the product. The other dog then licked up the vomit and also developed the toxicity. By the time the owner recognized the seriousness of the situation, it was too late and both pets died. We also had a situation involving a household of three cats. The same situation occurred. But, fortunately, the owner recognized the problem and we were able to save two of the three pets. As, you can see, this is truly a horrible and tragic poison.

http://www.cah.com/library/antifreeze.html
 

Sikotic™

Re: Read this if you don't like your neighbors pet
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 07:18:39 PM »
Thats some cold ass shit.
 

Matrix Heart

  • Guest
Re: Read this if you don't like your neighbors pet
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 07:24:12 PM »
Thats some cold ass shit.

Cats always taking shits in my yard(fruit plants) like they're trained  >:( :D 8) I'll get my cousin to put it out  :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 06:06:02 AM by OsamaBinHiding »
 

Wild_Elmo

  • Guest
Re: Read this if you don't like your neighbors pet
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 07:27:09 PM »
I found out earlier this week, my neighbor has a fuckin' rooster. That shit has us up at like 5:30 a.m. I'm gonna take that shit out with a pellet gun or something. I just need to make a trip to the nearest sporting goods store.
 

Sikotic™

Re: Read this if you don't like your neighbors pet
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 07:27:33 PM »
I got the smell of cat shit around this tree in front of my windows. I think I like the idea a little more now.
 

Wild_Elmo

  • Guest
Re: Read this if you don't like your neighbors pet
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 07:33:17 PM »
I got the smell of cat shit around this tree in front of my windows. I think I like the idea a little more now.
you might want to look into those glue traps.
 

Sikotic™

Re: Read this if you don't like your neighbors pet
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 07:38:55 PM »
I got the smell of cat shit around this tree in front of my windows. I think I like the idea a little more now.
you might want to look into those glue traps.

Nah, I got anti freeze in the garage. Way easier.
 

Da WCC Hopar!

  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • *****
  • Posts: 1540
  • Karma: 159
  • I love to see her walk off!
Re: Read this if you don't like your neighbors pet
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 07:47:10 PM »
a gun always works to just grab a silencer and it much more fun