Author Topic: computer question about external hard drives/disk drives  (Read 116 times)

We Fly High

computer question about external hard drives/disk drives
« on: May 23, 2005, 04:30:15 PM »
yo im pretty computer illiterate with this shit. but anyways, i have about 6 gigs of music on my computer that i want to archive. im using a powerbook g4 mac, so what are my options?

do those zip drives work good or what. are they compatible with Mac?

i dont really feel like burning cds, that shit takes forever.

-Euthanasia-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: computer question about external hard drives/disk drives
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 04:46:35 PM »
burn a dvd

We Fly High

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 04:50:06 PM »
yeah i was reading thru the manual yesterday about burning dvds and how its equivalent to 6 cds, but unforunately my powerbook doesnt have dvd burning capabilities. i wasnt thinking about that when i initially bought it. i didnt realize that data discs could be burned onto dvds the same way regular data cds are burnt. i thought the only thing u could do with dvd burner is burn movies, so i didnt really need it. so any other possibilities.

-Euthanasia-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 05:00:41 PM »
well if your cd burner does 40x burning thats only like 2 mins a cd. and 6 gigs translates into about 9 cds, so its not gonna take that long. or you could get and external and transfer the mp3s to that and then take the external to some computer with a dvd burner.

The Watcher

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 05:59:11 PM »
1. buy an external firewire case and a hard drive (i have this). i've got a 250gb hard disk for home, and another 80gb disk i carry around
2. buy an external firewire case with a dvd burner (i also have this!)
3. get something like the iomega cartridge disks. they hold 35GB and aren't much bigger than 2 floppy disks stacked up, they're expensive though, since you need the external reader etc

a firewire case + hard disk or dvd burner will cost you ~$150USD, probably less, i do all those above things on an iBook G4 with 10.4.1
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 06:07:10 PM »
Don't buy a zip drive. They are slowly becoming obsolete. I can barely find any in the states. Not sure about the rest of the world though.

I have an 80gig external. I have about 500 albums on it. After my computer crashed and I lost everything, the external HD turned out to be a great investment.

The Watcher

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 06:43:15 PM »
yep, zip disks are going out of fashion like there's no tomorrow, the cartridge disks are only new though, but they need a new drive etc also.. comes in 35gb and 80gb sizes
- celph titled

- joe budden

We Fly High

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 06:54:15 PM »

I have an 80gig external. I have about 500 albums on it. After my computer crashed and I lost everything, the external HD turned out to be a great investment.

how much did this cost?

wait is an external HD for a laptop as big as the HD for a regular computer.

The Watcher

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 08:08:37 PM »
you can get the size for a normal computer, which requires its own power plug, or get one which is laptop size and powers from usb/firewire. laptop size at the moment only goes up to 100gb, normal pc is limited to 250gb case of the case.. or you can get something like a LaCie drive which holds 1TB
- celph titled

- joe budden

We Fly High

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 11:35:28 PM »
you can get the size for a normal computer, which requires its own power plug, or get one which is laptop size and powers from usb/firewire. laptop size at the moment only goes up to 100gb, normal pc is limited to 250gb case of the case.. or you can get something like a LaCie drive which holds 1TB

i dont think i need anything remotely close to 100gb ... anything in the range of 10-25? 10 would already be super plenty for me at the moment..

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 11:50:11 PM »

i dont think i need anything remotely close to 100gb ... anything in the range of 10-25? 10 would already be super plenty for me at the moment..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7070297&type=product&id=1109233047356

This is the smallest one Best Buy has. It's 40gigs and it's about $150.

Thirteen

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 12:22:48 AM »
i lucked out, mine was $150 for 160 Gbs on sale and it had $50 worth of rebates too

best move i've ever made, transfered all my songs, game files, pics and movies in a matter of about 6 minutes...it would have took me probably over an hour on cd's

Don Seer

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 02:07:35 AM »
i have 3 external USB2 HDD's for back ups..

a 300 gig, a 180 and an 80..

they'r a really good cheap solution for backing stuff up and transporting stuff around

We Fly High

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 10:40:25 PM »
tight thanks for the help guys. and also will there be a difference among brands in transfer speeds. i was reading the reviews of some of the externals and it seemed like some transferred slower than others.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 10:54:53 PM by justin.dubcnn »

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 08:12:28 PM »
After my computer crashed and I lost everything, the external HD turned out to be a great investment.
Yeah, same shit happened to me, but on a much much larger scale about 2 months ago.  My 200 GB external saved me.