Author Topic: New Cool & Dre Interview  (Read 167 times)

Mr. Humonculous

New Cool & Dre Interview
« on: June 06, 2005, 03:26:03 PM »
Cool and Dre interview

Back to DJs & Producers Section from hiphopgame.com

How did the two of you meet and find your way into production?
We met in high school. We were in chorus together and formed an R&B group called Basic Unity. We could not find or afford anyone to make our beats, so we borrowed money, put our money together, and got an ASR 10. That was the start.

You are official members of Fat Joe's Terror Squad crew and have been working with Joe on his solo projects for a number of years. How did your connection with Joe come about?
We hooked up with Fat Joe through a good friend, Robbie Rob. He told us that Joe was looking for beats for his album J.O.S.E.. We put together this beat CD with like fifty beats. When Joe got the CD he popped it in and after like twenty beats this beat came on. He told us when he heard the beat "King of NY" he said "I have to meet the guys who did this. They can't be from Miami!" He drove down and invited us to the studio to record the record. When we met it was like we had already been friends. From then on we just became the best of friends. We owe a lot to Joe!

What does being a member of the Terror Squad involve?
Hard work, a lot of fun and loyalty!

Before the Fat Joe/Terror Squad connection came about, had you had the opportunity to work with many high-profile artists?
Before we hooked up with Joe we were grindin' on the local independent circuit in Miami. We did two records with JT Money, a local legend on Capitol at the time, and Juvenile and the whole UTP.

Game's latest single "Hate it or Love It" is a Cool & Dre production. How did that collaboration come about?
We got a CD to some of our people at Aftermath. Months went by and Sha Money [G-Unit executive] told us Game was using one of our beats on the album, with 50 Cent on it.

Of course, you guys were behind Ja Rule's comeback track "New York, New York," which almost single-handedly restored Ja's credibility. Do you feel that song was as big for you as it was for Ja?
"New York" was such a big look for us. Not only did we bring Ja back, [but] two kids from Miami gave New York an anthem. That's a classic!

"New York" has also been identified as the catalyst of the Fat Joe/50 Cent beef. While it doesn't directly involve you, you are close to the situation. How seriously is Joe taking this beef?
It's crazy because Joe never had any problems with 50. In fact, he was a fan. But Joe had to fire back! It ain't nothing serious. No one is losing any sleep over it.

Your record label, Epidemic Music, made headlines last year when you signed a label deal with Jive for $2 million. Before signing, you were fielding offers from everyone from Def Jam to Shady Records. Just how frantic did the bidding get?
The label stuff got real crazy at one point. We were about to sign with Shady but Dirt [Epidemic recording artist Dirtbag] was really feeling Chris Lighty at Jive. They put the crazy deal on the table. We asked Dirtbag, "Where do you want to go?" Next thing you know, Jive it was.

The first artist on your Epidemic imprint is Miami rapper Dirtbag. What convinced you that Dirtbag is capable of carrying the Epidemic brand on his back?
Dirtbag is a superstar! Look out for that album!

When can we expect Dirtbag's album and who else will we see feature on the project?
Dirtbag's album is crazy! We're lookin at an end of 3rd quarter release. The album is called "Eye's Above the Water." If features production from our friends; Timbaland, Red Spyda, David Banner, Jazzy Pha, and of course Cool & Dre. Artist like Young Buck, Devin The Dude, Fat Joe, B.G., Dre, just to name a few.

Fans are heavily anticipating the release of Tony Sunshine's album, and it was originally thought that it'd see a release through Epidemic Music. What is the status of Tony's project and how heavy will Cool & Dre feature on it?
Tony Sunshine just signed a new deal with Epic/Sony. We are mixing the album now and putting some final touches on it. The album is incredible! Cool & Dre, R. Kelly, Rich Harrison, Scott Storch and Lil Jon. The fans will have to wait no longer. Tony is coming soon!

You also do a lot of production work outside of the Terror Squad / Epidemic camps. On what upcoming albums can we expect to see 'Cool & Dre' listed in the production credits?
Look out for us on, let me see, so many. Let me name a few. Mary J. Blige, Mos Def, Fat Joe, Remy Ma, Jae Mills, P. Diddy, Janet Jackson, Freeway, Slim Thug, just to name a few..

Of course, as a producer you're always looking to work with best artists in the business. Are there any upcoming projects you're campaigning to take part in?
We'll be taking part in Dr Dre's "Detox" album. At the end of the day we're creative cats. We just want to sit with a dope artist and make great music.

Outside of music I understand that you guys also own a restaurant. Quickly tell us about that.
The restaurant is called 'La Dea' It's on 5th and Ocean Drive on South Beach [Miami]. We're partners with Big Boi from Outkast and Usher.

What's your favourite track that you produced?
It's a track on Fat Joes upcoming album. And "Hate It Or Love It."

What's your favourite track that you wish you had produced?
We wish we did "Lean Back." Shout out to our homie Scott Storch!

Shout outs?
Shout out to the whole Epidemic and Terror Squad family. Joe Crack, Dirtbag, Hound, Brizz, C.Rizzel, and to all of the fans of this Hip-Hop music in Australia. Thank you so much! Remember this, it's a COOL & DRE EPIDEMIC! Thanks Dominic!

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: New Cool & Dre Interview
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 03:59:53 PM »
Of course, as a producer you're always looking to work with best artists in the business. Are there any upcoming projects you're campaigning to take part in?
We'll be taking part in Dr Dre's "Detox" album. At the end of the day we're creative cats. We just want to sit with a dope artist and make great music.

hmm....

Dynamic

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Dynamite cuz I rhyme So Tight
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 12:24:50 PM »

I wish Dre would come out and say what was happening with Detox.
Francis, M to the iz-H phenominal
Gun rest under your vest by the abdominal
Two auto-matos, used to call me fatso
Now you call me Castro, my rap flows
militant, y'all faggots ain't killin' shit
~ Notorious BIG

Westside Soldier

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 11:17:15 PM »
it would be interesting to hear a cool n dre beat on detox. :)