Author Topic: Zapp, Whispers, Houdini, Anita Ward show I just saw  (Read 133 times)

Acgrundy

Zapp, Whispers, Houdini, Anita Ward show I just saw
« on: June 04, 2005, 11:51:33 PM »
I just got back from this oldschool funk concert it was really dope.  Zapp was real nice, they did More Bounce, and all these other songs I forgot.  they had some real funky grooves.  then they paid tribute to Roger Troutman and 2Pac, and then they busted into the instrumental of California love and sang the chorus on the talkbox, and changed it around a bit to give props to sacramento.  they also did live instrumentals of Drop it Like Its Hot, 50 Cent's In Da Club, and this other song that is always on the radio, I dunno who does it, its a pretty hot beat, I think maybe its done by lil jon, but its an r&b artists singin on it.  but yeah zapp was tight.  anyone know if dre sampled them for In Da Club?  and same with snoop for drop it like its hot?  and doesn't Goin Back to Cali sample More Bounce to the Ounce?

after zapp, houdini came out, and I wasn't very famiiliar with them.  Grandmaster D was on the turntables for them.  They played a lot of dope songs which have been sampled back when rap was at its best.  They are best know for the song Freinds, How many of us Have them, which you all know Warren G sampled.  They also do the Song Freaks Come Out At Night, which has been sampled a ton of times.  Also they performed a song which Jayo Felony Sampled for Nitty Gritty, which is my 2nd all time fav jayo song behind Take a Ride.  They paid tribute to old school hip hop, public enemy, 2pac, biggie, left eye, and Jam Master Jay.

Then Came the Whispers, there set was pretty cool.  They started off with the Smash Hit And The Beat Goes On, which is a straight classic song.  The ended with the song Rocksteady which is one of my fav's by them.  I upped it for you guys right here:

http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=11X1J7TZ6E80A29HQHIUV7RNCF

you will notice that Strong Arm Steady always plays a clip of this song on all their mixtapes.

but yeah it was a dope oldschool funk concert.

Wild_Elmo

Re: Zapp, Whispers, Houdini, Anita Ward show I just saw
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 09:40:25 AM »
Damn, that's a great lineup. Those artists have their share of songs that have been sampled many times. The song Jayo sampled from Whodini is called "Five Minutes Of Funk." It's really cool to find out the original songs that were sampled when you've never heard it before.

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Zapp, Whispers, Houdini, Anita Ward show I just saw
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 12:38:58 PM »
Damn that sounds like such a fuckin tite ass concert.  I woulda loved to go to that.  Its funny, I was just listening to "Rock Steady" yesterday.