Author Topic: Three 6 Mafia gets oscar nod  (Read 356 times)

$do11a biLL$

Three 6 Mafia gets oscar nod
« on: January 31, 2006, 06:44:44 PM »
Three 6 Mafia Gets Oscar Nod
By Nolan Strong and Remmie Fresh
Date: 1/31/2006 4:25 pm

The 78th Academy Awards were announced Monday (Jan. 30) in Beverly Hills, California and Hip-Hop received a fair share of nods, some expected and others surprising.

Three 6 Mafia, mostly known for an underground sensibility, was nominated for an Original song Oscar for their Terrence Howard-executed song "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp” from Hustle & Flow.

Hustle & Flow is a film that centers on a Memphis, Tennessee pimp that turns to rap music in an attempt to escape the street life.

"We [are] just happy as hell," DJ Paul told AllHipHop.com. "We knew they said it might be nominated, but we didn't think it would be. It's good to find out it's true."

DJ Paul said he was honored to part of a legacy of Memphis history in the music business. "This is just a step further to the roads of Hollywood that we've been traveling since our first movie, Choices I."

Others nominated for an Original Song Oscar include "In The Deep" from Crash and "Travelin' Thru" from Transamerica.

The Academy also nominated Terrence Howard for Best Performance for his role in the film Hustle & Flow.

Howard faces hefty competition from Heath Ledger, star of the year's most nominated film Brokeback Mountain, Joaquin Phoenix in Walk the Line, Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote and David Strathairn in Good Night and Good Luck.

Ludacris, who stars in Hustle & Flow, also has a role in the movie Crash, which was nominated for Best Picture by the Oscar committee. Luda and the cast of Crash received a Screen Actors Guild Award Sunday for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture.

The Academy Awards air live on Sunday (Mar. 5) at the Kodak Theatre and will be televised by the ABC Television Network.

Eihtball

Re: Three 6 Mafia gets oscar nod
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 07:53:59 PM »
What the fuck...I don't know whether to laugh or hush up with respect.  I've always thought Three-6 were terrible lyricists (good crunk joints, tho), so the thought of them writing something that qualifies for an Oscar just sounds absurd to me.  Then again, I will admit "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" was a pretty heartfelt joint.

CoreG37

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 08:43:02 PM »
i'm happy to see them doing so well.  i've been listening to them for years.  on another note, did their new movie"Clean-Up Men" come out yet?

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 08:48:13 PM »
i'm happy to see them doing so well. i've been listening to them for years. on another note, did their new movie"Clean-Up Men" come out yet?

Yep its been out since October. I got mine from amazon.com. Its a good movie IMO but not as good as Choices 1 but its definetly a must see.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 08:51:19 PM »
I cant call 36 lyracist but there production is always consistant and seems to be steadily improving.

CoreG37

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 08:55:55 PM »
i'm happy to see them doing so well. i've been listening to them for years. on another note, did their new movie"Clean-Up Men" come out yet?

Yep its been out since October. I got mine from amazon.com. Its a good movie IMO but not as good as Choices 1 but its definetly a must see.

i own choices 1 but not 2, is it worth a buy?

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 06:30:23 AM »
 :-\
NO MORE WAR