Author Topic: question for the black folks...  (Read 955 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: question for the black folks...
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 07:33:10 AM »
I was just talking about this with some friends the other day.

I have a friend who has a couple kids and I'm trying to tell him that if he tells them the world will be against them because they're black when they're young it will most likely have a terrible affect on how they grow up. You tell a kid that society hates you because it's racist then every time a non black does anything negative it's racism to them. They're going to go through childhood thinking every non black teacher that sends them to the office or every non black citizen that gives them a hard time it's because of racism.

Is there racism? Of course, but every time a white does something to a black it isn't always racist. Some people are just assholes in general. Some people also may be looking out for your best interest by using tough love, but if you confuse tough love with racism than you'll never learn the right messages.

I have friends that do the stupidest things get in shit for it and then say it's because they were black. A know a guy that wasn't allowed to run for class president because he was a trouble case from day one, skipped class on a reg, told teachers to go suck themselves, had been in too many fights to count, suspended multiple times, and expelled in middle school, but according to him it was because he was black.

If I take a pole of all my black friends and separate the ones with that blame racist whites for their misfortunes with the ones that don't, 99% of the ones on the racism side have next to no promise in their future and 99% of the other side a good upstanding human beings that are either going places or are places.

Whether society is racist or not is not the issue. The point is if you think the world is against you because you're black, or whatever colour, and you live by that philosophy you set yourself up for failure because you give yourself an excuse for every bad thing you do.

the thing i see, is that its hard for other races to really speak on this stuff. Its basically impossible to know how it feels to be another race, and impossible to REALLY see things from their point of view. Its kind of like, if your mother died tomorrow and mine was still here. And you dealt with your pain in a certain way, and i tried to give u advice on how to deal with it. You wouldnt necessarily respect my opinion cus you would know that i know nothing about how it feels to be in your shoes. Like u said, its a fact....there is racism in this country. And its worse then most white people WANT to believe. Like i said, when u dont experience it...you dont notice it. And yeah, i would imagine that a lot of black folks have a bit of a chip on their shoulders about racism, and who wouldnt? Obviously there's all types of people (in every race). So you always have certain people who point the finger for EVERYthing. Just like a white person who might bring about some frivoulous law suit for something that was their own fault. Just like a white person who might blame the countries economy problems on illegal immigrants....etc. What people have to understand is that you have NO idea what its like to live in another persons shoes. We are all equal, but not all the same. And if our roles were reversed...we'd all act the same way other races act based on their experiences. Its probably a hard line to define between "not pointing the finger for racism" and "not taking any racism from anyone".

I see where you're coming from but in all fairness and honesty, I would gladly take any advice from you or anyone else on any subject if it's out of respect and if it's with good intentions. I've never been one of those fuck head "you can't understand what I've been though" losers. As for me on the racisim side, I grew up a white kid in a black area. I know a thing or two about being looked at as different and treated with prejudice. I also come from a Greek family that's been to Turkey, a country that enslaved the Greeks for a longer time than the US enslaved blacks, at about the same time (1400-1800). Let's not even get into the attempted genocides Turkey has tried. If I see a Turk or go to Turkey I could care less about all that.

You see we're talking about different things. You seeem to be talking about adult blacks not getting promoted or being looked st oddly in the white collar, I'm talking about children and teens who (true story) are banging on a door rather loudly in the middle of the day and calling the woman next door a racist for asking what's going on. I'm talking about telling a teacher to go suck her self, getting suspended and then blaming it on racism. I'm not talking about the developed adult mind. My point in this is to say that teaching a kid that when someone isn't nice to you or gets you in trouble they're racist is not good for them while they're developing. I'm basing this based on multiple people I know from both sides of that spectrum. And I'm saying it for their sake. Kids that grow up lie that only really hurt themselves. Do I hate being called racist? Yes, much more than being a victim of racism, but I could care less at the end of the day. What bothers me is a when kids use racism as an excuse for every bad thing they do and end up learning nothing in life, which leads to a terrible future and makes them hatefull or ignorant people.

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 08:20:26 AM »

I have a friend who has a couple kids and I'm trying to tell him that if he tells them the world will be against them because they're black when they're young it will most likely have a terrible affect on how they grow up. You tell a kid that society hates you because it's racist then every time a non black does anything negative it's racism to them. They're going to go through childhood thinking every non black teacher that sends them to the office or every non black citizen that gives them a hard time it's because of racism.

Is there racism? Of course, but every time a white does something to a black it isn't always racist. Some people are just assholes in general. Some people also may be looking out for your best interest by using tough love, but if you confuse tough love with racism than you'll never learn the right messages.

I have friends that do the stupidest things get in shit for it and then say it's because they were black. A know a guy that wasn't allowed to run for class president because he was a trouble case from day one, skipped class on a reg, told teachers to go suck themselves, had been in too many fights to count, suspended multiple times, and expelled in middle school, but according to him it was because he was black.

If I take a pole of all my black friends and separate the ones with that blame racist whites for their misfortunes with the ones that don't, 99% of the ones on the racism side have next to no promise in their future and 99% of the other side a good upstanding human beings that are either going places or are places.

Whether society is racist or not is not the issue. The point is if you think the world is against you because you're black, or whatever colour, and you live by that philosophy you set yourself up for failure because you give yourself an excuse for every bad thing you do.

the thing i see, is that its hard for other races to really speak on this stuff. Its basically impossible to know how it feels to be another race, and impossible to REALLY see things from their point of view. Its kind of like, if your mother died tomorrow and mine was still here. And you dealt with your pain in a certain way, and i tried to give u advice on how to deal with it. You wouldnt necessarily respect my opinion cus you would know that i know nothing about how it feels to be in your shoes. Like u said, its a fact....there is racism in this country. And its worse then most white people WANT to believe. Like i said, when u dont experience it...you dont notice it. And yeah, i would imagine that a lot of black folks have a bit of a chip on their shoulders about racism, and who wouldnt? Obviously there's all types of people (in every race). So you always have certain people who point the finger for EVERYthing. Just like a white person who might bring about some frivoulous law suit for something that was their own fault. Just like a white person who might blame the countries economy problems on illegal immigrants....etc. What people have to understand is that you have NO idea what its like to live in another persons shoes. We are all equal, but not all the same. And if our roles were reversed...we'd all act the same way other races act based on their experiences. Its probably a hard line to define between "not pointing the finger for racism" and "not taking any racism from anyone".

I see where you're coming from but in all fairness and honesty, I would gladly take any advice from you or anyone else on any subject if it's out of respect and if it's with good intentions. I've never been one of those fuck head "you can't understand what I've been though" losers. As for me on the racisim side, I grew up a white kid in a black area. I know a thing or two about being looked at as different and treated with prejudice. I also come from a Greek family that's been to Turkey, a country that enslaved the Greeks for a longer time than the US enslaved blacks, at about the same time (1400-1800). Let's not even get into the attempted genocides Turkey has tried. If I see a Turk or go to Turkey I could care less about all that.

You see we're talking about different things. You seeem to be talking about adult blacks not getting promoted or being looked st oddly in the white collar, I'm talking about children and teens who (true story) are banging on a door rather loudly in the middle of the day and calling the woman next door a racist for asking what's going on. I'm talking about telling a teacher to go suck her self, getting suspended and then blaming it on racism. I'm not talking about the developed adult mind. My point in this is to say that teaching a kid that when someone isn't nice to you or gets you in trouble they're racist is not good for them while they're developing. I'm basing this based on multiple people I know from both sides of that spectrum. And I'm saying it for their sake. Kids that grow up lie that only really hurt themselves. Do I hate being called racist? Yes, much more than being a victim of racism, but I could care less at the end of the day. What bothers me is a when kids use racism as an excuse for every bad thing they do and end up learning nothing in life, which leads to a terrible future and makes them hatefull or ignorant people.

you could take advice from someone without them knowing, being in, or having any real understanding of your situation. But at the same time, youd listen far more to someone who was actually IN your situation. Its normal, and anyone would. As for u knowing what its like to be treated "different", thats good. Everyone should KNOW what its like. Problem is, what we're talking about is on a FAR larger scale then just being different in your neighborhood u know? I feel what youre saying as far people pointing the finger for problems that THEY cause. Thats wrong, i agree. Thing is, its Americans that do that...not just black people. Americans point the blame at others for everything. Shit, apparently TV is the reason why theres so much violence. Rap music is the reason why white teens in the suburbs steal candy bars from the 7-11 lol. Iraq is the reason for 9-11....etc. Everything wrong, is always someone elses fault. You cant expect that black folks should be even BETTER then everyone else in the country when it comes to that shit. People do have to be responsible for themselves, i agree. Thing is, theres issues that minorities deal with that whites dont. And racism is definetely one of them in this country. Its almost like white people still have that mentality with black people where they want them to just smile and accept shit. Thats where the problem is. Just as you say its wrong for black people to point out things that might not be racist, as racist. Its equally as wrong for white people to pretend like there isnt racism, where there obviously is.

Deeez Nuuuts

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 08:36:44 AM »
I ain't black or white, but I wouldn't use the race card, because I think it's disrespectful to those who have been a victim

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 12:23:21 PM »

you could take advice from someone without them knowing, being in, or having any real understanding of your situation. But at the same time, youd listen far more to someone who was actually IN your situation. Its normal, and anyone would. As for u knowing what its like to be treated "different", thats good. Everyone should KNOW what its like. Problem is, what we're talking about is on a FAR larger scale then just being different in your neighborhood u know? I feel what youre saying as far people pointing the finger for problems that THEY cause. Thats wrong, i agree. Thing is, its Americans that do that...not just black people. Americans point the blame at others for everything. Shit, apparently TV is the reason why theres so much violence. Rap music is the reason why white teens in the suburbs steal candy bars from the 7-11 lol. Iraq is the reason for 9-11....etc. Everything wrong, is always someone elses fault. You cant expect that black folks should be even BETTER then everyone else in the country when it comes to that shit. People do have to be responsible for themselves, i agree. Thing is, theres issues that minorities deal with that whites dont. And racism is definetely one of them in this country. Its almost like white people still have that mentality with black people where they want them to just smile and accept shit. Thats where the problem is. Just as you say its wrong for black people to point out things that might not be racist, as racist. Its equally as wrong for white people to pretend like there isnt racism, where there obviously is.

I don't disagree with anything you said. Also, I meant to write that my situation in the neighborhood is nothig like the issue in the US with blacks. However, the family I come from is not that different. My grandfather came here from Greece with his family in the late 50s. His grandfather was a slave. He left Greece because after two wars and a huge nation reform the propaganda spread by the US and Canada at the time made it seem like North America was the place to be. Farm land as far as the eye can see. Problem was there wasn't too much farm land in Toronto. But there was a surplus of remedial jobs. So upon coming here, instead of huge farms that you can grow anything on, he got placed in a ghetto and forced to work in either labour or labour. When he got to the immigration office and said his name "Epaminondas", the white Canadians told him it wouldn't work here so they gave him the name Peter. His friend was Thanasee Haridopoulos, which became Tom Harris to sound more Canadian. My grandfather was close to 60 at the time so labour wasn't going to fit him too well. Instead he took a job in night security while his children dropped out of school to work during the day. The family had system, whatever money you make you bring home and give it to him. My father who was making 150 a week in the 60s while the rest of the fam was making between 35 and 50 had to give it all to his father and came out with maybe 10 bucks at the end of the week for himself. With no education and thick accents anthing outside of construction or house painting wasn't possible, unless you wanted to take the chance of opening a restaurant (something that later became very profitable for a number of Greek families but hurt many others). Belive me when I tell you the difference between being an immigrant back then and being black now isn't all that different. The whites can tell the difference and they can certainly hear the difference between themselves and Greek at the time. I can pass and my hardships are nothing, but I've seen the same hardships as current blacks in the eyes of my grandfather. And he had seen the hardships of pre and post 1860 blacks in the eyes of his grandfather.

That being said. I don't think and never meant to imply that only blacks blame hardships or problems on other things, but that was the issue at hand in this thread. However I feel that the way blacks do it hurts them in a way that many others were able to fight off. The Greeks sasid the same thing when they first came, so did the Italians and Japanese, and Chinese, but what they also did was say because I'm Greel, Itlaian, Chinese etc I'm going to overcome this. They have such a strong sense of culture and heritage they stayed strong and built themselves up as a community. Now every race has their problems, and a large share of them. For every black man that gets killed in the US there are 2.9 white men that kill themselves. There are huge smuggling issues with people in the Asian community. Etc, etc. The bottom line is that I truly believe that blackscan fix their problems at home by banding together for the greater good and leaning on each other. Can they become as rich as the upper class whites? No, but 95% of whites can't either.

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 02:51:13 AM »

That being said. I don't think and never meant to imply that only blacks blame hardships or problems on other things, but that was the issue at hand in this thread. However I feel that the way blacks do it hurts them in a way that many others were able to fight off. The Greeks sasid the same thing when they first came, so did the Italians and Japanese, and Chinese, but what they also did was say because I'm Greel, Itlaian, Chinese etc I'm going to overcome this. They have such a strong sense of culture and heritage they stayed strong and built themselves up as a community. Now every race has their problems, and a large share of them. For every black man that gets killed in the US there are 2.9 white men that kill themselves. There are huge smuggling issues with people in the Asian community. Etc, etc. The bottom line is that I truly believe that blackscan fix their problems at home by banding together for the greater good and leaning on each other. Can they become as rich as the upper class whites? No, but 95% of whites can't either.

Every other minority group in this country, other then Black and Native American...have come here on their own. Those immigrants would naturally have a FAR stronger sense of culture, because their culture was never stolen from them like Blacks and Native Americans were in this country. Mexicans have Mexican culture. Their ancestors, grandparents, parents...or even themselves are FROM mexico. Asians...the same. Italians...the same. Greeks...the same. Black peoples ancestors, are African. But Black people, are not African. You see? Because of slavery, there was a whole NEW culture created basically which would only be a couple hundred years old. Not to mention, a culture that was not developed by choice, but by force from an outside race. So you could understand how it would hard, and even confuzing for an entire "culture" of people to have a real grasp of who they are, what they are, or what theyre capable of under those conditions. The entire black "culture" was started during slavery (before that point, there was no "black people", only African people) and not really allowed to grow in this country until this century, without even having the same rights as others in this country until 40 yrs ago. So for white people to turn around now, and say..."just do it yourself" is fucking amazing. If I were to take a group of 10 infants. And raise them from birth. Say the only difference between the infants were that 5 had blond hair, and 5 had brown hair. I allowed the 5 blond haired children to have their freedom. I allowed them to play. I taught them things...how to speak...how to read. How to interact with other people. Encouraged them. Gave them love and built up their self-esteem so they could be strong adults. Then, at the same time did the opposite with the 5 brown haired infants. I locked them indoors. Taught them nothing. Did not teach them how to speak, how to read, anything. They were beaten for even attempting to learn on their own. They were told they were inferior. They were nothing. And that they could not survive when they became adults without the blond haired kids to take care of them. By the time all of these kids became adults, what kind of effect would those years have on them? And we're talking a time span of only 10-15 yrs. Imagine this being done for generations. And now, within the last 30 yrs or so....telling the brown haired kids to quit complaining, and work your way up.

'EclipZe

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 03:48:31 AM »
I always say "it's because im foreign right ! you rascist ! "  ;D

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 07:49:09 AM »

Every other minority group in this country, other then Black and Native American...have come here on their own. Those immigrants would naturally have a FAR stronger sense of culture, because their culture was never stolen from them like Blacks and Native Americans were in this country. Mexicans have Mexican culture. Their ancestors, grandparents, parents...or even themselves are FROM mexico. Asians...the same. Italians...the same. Greeks...the same. Black peoples ancestors, are African. But Black people, are not African. You see? Because of slavery, there was a whole NEW culture created basically which would only be a couple hundred years old. Not to mention, a culture that was not developed by choice, but by force from an outside race. So you could understand how it would hard, and even confuzing for an entire "culture" of people to have a real grasp of who they are, what they are, or what theyre capable of under those conditions. The entire black "culture" was started during slavery (before that point, there was no "black people", only African people) and not really allowed to grow in this country until this century, without even having the same rights as others in this country until 40 yrs ago. So for white people to turn around now, and say..."just do it yourself" is fucking amazing. If I were to take a group of 10 infants. And raise them from birth. Say the only difference between the infants were that 5 had blond hair, and 5 had brown hair. I allowed the 5 blond haired children to have their freedom. I allowed them to play. I taught them things...how to speak...how to read. How to interact with other people. Encouraged them. Gave them love and built up their self-esteem so they could be strong adults. Then, at the same time did the opposite with the 5 brown haired infants. I locked them indoors. Taught them nothing. Did not teach them how to speak, how to read, anything. They were beaten for even attempting to learn on their own. They were told they were inferior. They were nothing. And that they could not survive when they became adults without the blond haired kids to take care of them. By the time all of these kids became adults, what kind of effect would those years have on them? And we're talking a time span of only 10-15 yrs. Imagine this being done for generations. And now, within the last 30 yrs or so....telling the brown haired kids to quit complaining, and work your way up.

It happened in Greece. The Muslims enslaved them for 400 years, forced their language and religion on them, worked them like pigs. Greece revolted and got most of their land back. Their culture didn't suffer because from day one of slavery they had created underground schools and churches to retain their heritage. Why the greeks were able to hold on to their culture while the blacks weren't, I don't know. Maybe a lot of different African slaves came from different parts of Africa with different cultures.

rafsta

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2005, 09:41:04 AM »

It happened in Greece. The Muslims enslaved them for 400 years, forced their language and religion on them, worked them like pigs. Greece revolted and got most of their land back. Their culture didn't suffer because from day one of slavery they had created underground schools and churches to retain their heritage. Why the greeks were able to hold on to their culture while the blacks weren't, I don't know. Maybe a lot of different African slaves came from different parts of Africa with different cultures.

it would be easier to hold down your shit on home turf, rather than on foreign land where there seems like there is no hope.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2005, 03:13:13 PM »

it would be easier to hold down your shit on home turf, rather than on foreign land where there seems like there is no hope.

I've never been a slave for 400 years in either way so I wouldn't know. How is the progress of Africans in Africa who were once slaves? (not a rhetorical question)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2005, 03:38:02 PM »
shiiiiiiiit always some shit goin down about brother, haha.....

nah but for real, i didnt read much of the thread at all cuz i couldbt be bothered but truth is......if anyone of y'all think live we live in a world with equality for all races and that white boys aint on top of the food chain, y'all livin in another planet.

anyways to the question, naaaaaaaa never would i use the is it because im black or cuz he was racist line unless it was truth, fuck a excuse.

speakin of blacks in africa, niggaz be looked down in the own back yard their, its worse in some places, nigga still be used as slaves, check southafrica, white boys on top of the food chain even in that muthafuckin region, its just old dumb beleifs that if u got dark skin, like a brother u aint shit.

my post make some of y'all white dudes who be touchy a lil pink but for those who u realise my post aint tryna diss white ppl, u know.....thats my opinion. i aint racist, i aint got no hate towards another race but i also know wat up.

oh and i think it aint really fair for someone of another race to try and speak for another race

pz

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2005, 04:22:37 PM »

oh and i think it aint really fair for someone of another race to try and speak for another race

pz

If that were the case then you wouldn't be able to speak about whites, based on your logic.

Anyway, I agree with you more or less. Of course there's racism and of course it's easier for a white guy to succeed than a black guy in the rich world, North America and Europe anyway. However I also think it's be easier for a black guy from a well to do family to succedd than a white hick from the back woods. But anyway, I have no problem acknowledging the racism in the white collar world. What I don't understand is what white people can do to make black teenage thugs from getting teen girls preganant, stabbing and shooting their peers, skipping school to smoke weed and drink, and basically waste their lives. I feel that can only be solved by the 25+ year old black males that have been though that and realize it's stupid. Of course they don't do that, in the ghetto at least, instead that not only condone that behaviour but the reward it with praise and respect. That has to stop, because no black preacher, black single mother, black father, black schoolteacher or black principal can solve the problem as a whole. As long as the young gangsers look up to the old gangsters they are headed for doom.

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2005, 12:16:46 AM »

Like someone else said, those were Greek People in Greece. Not the same as Africans in America. Theres obviously a different effect to being taken captive to a foriegn land and having a new culture, religion, etc forced upon you. Once "slavery" ended these werent Africans in Africa. They were Black people in America. The Greeks were still Greek, in Greece. Basically, the bottom line is this. If you believe that all people are created equal, then you also agree that the differences between how we act in this society are based on the experiences that each one of us, or our particular "group" has had. And if we are created equal, then any of our "groups" would react the same way if dealing with eachothers situations. Best believe if American White people were kidnapped and taken to Africa as slaves for the same amount of time at the same period in time. They would lose all of their culture as well. They would becomete People in Africa, not Americans anymore. On the other hand, if you (not YOU personally, just anyone on here) want to generalize and critisize an entire race for their behavior...then White people have been by far, without a shadow of a doubt, the most evil people on the planet lol. I dont believe that, but look at their history of destruction. By the way, im half white myself. I just know that everyones situation is different. And yes, some people in this world or country are in a worse situation then others...people need to know where they are on that scale and not pretend that they would "do a better job IF they were in someone elses shoes".

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2005, 08:02:28 AM »

Like someone else said, those were Greek People in Greece. Not the same as Africans in America. Theres obviously a different effect to being taken captive to a foriegn land and having a new culture, religion, etc forced upon you. Once "slavery" ended these werent Africans in Africa. They were Black people in America. The Greeks were still Greek, in Greece. Basically, the bottom line is this. If you believe that all people are created equal, then you also agree that the differences between how we act in this society are based on the experiences that each one of us, or our particular "group" has had. And if we are created equal, then any of our "groups" would react the same way if dealing with eachothers situations. Best believe if American White people were kidnapped and taken to Africa as slaves for the same amount of time at the same period in time. They would lose all of their culture as well. They would becomete People in Africa, not Americans anymore. On the other hand, if you (not YOU personally, just anyone on here) want to generalize and critisize an entire race for their behavior...then White people have been by far, without a shadow of a doubt, the most evil people on the planet lol. I dont believe that, but look at their history of destruction. By the way, im half white myself. I just know that everyones situation is different. And yes, some people in this world or country are in a worse situation then others...people need to know where they are on that scale and not pretend that they would "do a better job IF they were in someone elses shoes".

I don't know exactly what the problem is oir how to fix it, but when I look at the black population up here in Canada I notice that the black kids in Toronto are crime driven hooligans (not all, or even most, but some). They live the street life and all that business. 90% of the blacks in Canada weren't even here 30 years ago. Most of the them came from the carribean in the late 60s and ealy 70s. The 10% or so that have lived here for hundreds of years were and are mainly in Nova Scotia. I'm not sure if you've seen it on Oprah when they did a special on Canadian blacks but you should see what a group that comes together can accomplish. They had to battle racism the same way, they were slaves from down south seeking refuge, and they came to Nova Scotia stuck together and lifted themselves up. They act and speak like any other east coast Canadian. They have extremely low crime and murder rates, as well as next to no unemployment. They didn't become like this because of hand outs, or affirmative action (neither of which I am opposed to, I'm just saying). They simply leaned on each other and worked with the their white neighbours to builde a strong community.
I'm not sure how it is in the US every where, but from what I understand there are places in the south where they have striving black communities as well. Bottom line is it can happen.

J Bananas

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2005, 02:36:03 PM »
why do we call blacks "Folks" when we would never use that word in daily life ever?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2005, 03:01:34 PM »
why do we call blacks "Folks" when we would never use that word in daily life ever?

I use the word "folks" in my vocabulary. Not to describe blacks, but in general.