Author Topic: How do rappers survive $$$ wise?  (Read 339 times)

UWA 187

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
How do rappers survive $$$ wise?
« on: July 01, 2005, 06:53:15 PM »
Always been wondering this and was hoping someone could drop some knowledge on it? Both underground and mainstream I'm interested in, whatever. I realise they'd make money off albums and shows/tours, but what about inbetween all of that? Do they get paid for mixtapes? Do the labels pay them some sort of weekly/bi-weekly/monthly wage(trying to figure out how people make money when they're stranded in a company for a decent period of time, ie. Crooked I on Death Row, etc)?

BTW, the reason I've posted this in both forums is coz it's relevant to both of em and might get some extra and/or different replies. Hope that's ok?

UWA 187

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
How do rappers survive $$$ wise?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 06:53:57 PM »
Always been wondering this and was hoping someone could drop some knowledge on it? Both underground and mainstream I'm interested in, whatever. I realise they'd make money off albums and shows/tours, but what about inbetween all of that? Do they get paid for mixtapes? Do the labels pay them some sort of weekly/bi-weekly/monthly wage(trying to figure out how people make money when they're stranded in a company for a decent period of time, ie. Crooked I on Death Row, etc)?

BTW, the reason I've posted this in both forums is coz it's relevant to both of em and might get some extra and/or different replies. Hope that's ok?

Acgrundy

Re: How do rappers survive $$$ wise?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 06:54:19 PM »
broke niggaz make the best crooks
ya best looks ova ya shoulda
if ya a hi rolla

SGV

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 06:56:03 PM »
Most Rappers have actual jobs.

dubee

• 'G'
  • "it dont matta, as long as my pocket gets fatta"
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 06:59:41 PM »
that nigga 40 owned his own liquor store in south vallejo.

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 07:10:14 PM »
They could just save some of the cash, right?  Hell that's what I'd do.  If I had one big song, I'd be rich for the rest of my life.

I think the record company gives them loans against future album sales.  I read about Courtney Love bitching about it one time.  She acted like everything she had, they owned, like her car was theirs, they bought it for her... and they rented her a house, and then they'd give her advances on her next album, they'd charge her for studio time, etc. and then when the album comes out, they keep basically everything.  She even ended up owing them money after the album went platinum. 

CrookedDynasty

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 08:54:10 PM »
Some slang drugs, some work at actual jobs, others are financially supported by the label until the album drops.

Jome

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 09:02:14 PM »
It's a mix between royalties from album sales/radio play, tour money, cameo appearence money, mixtape sales, paycheck from the label depending on the deal they have, etc.
There's a big difference on the deals rappers have, some of them are multi-millionaires off a lucky guest appearence, but some labels fuck their artists in the ass.

CrookedDynasty

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 09:12:23 PM »
It's a mix between royalties from album sales/radio play, tour money, cameo appearence money, mixtape sales, paycheck from the label depending on the deal they have, etc.
There's a big difference on the deals rappers have, some of them are multi-millionaires off a lucky guest appearence, but some labels fuck their artists in the ass.

Actually... yea.. thats very true. I agree.

UWA 187

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 10:02:51 PM »

some of them are multi-millionaires off a lucky guest appearence,

Any examples?

davida.b.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 10:38:08 PM »

some of them are multi-millionaires off a lucky guest appearence,

Any examples?

Nate Dogg

Wessia4LiaNia Chieee Chieee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'M Mo' Than a God I'M a Warrior
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2005, 01:50:28 AM »
they deserve their money, they work hard for the love of hip hop(of course i'm speaking about those real artists), and the thing is they only get 10-20% from their labels..of course that means a lot for us, even for them..but they deserve way much more.
how do they survive? shit..it's easy, some invest in bussiness some just lay back and look at their beautiful lives
Lyrical Swords 4 Lia

ABN

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 06:40:28 AM »
a lot of rappers invest their money in various things(real estate,studios etc) and that´s prolly the smartest thing they could do. and in between albums a lot of them also indorse certain products etc etc so they will always find a way to get paid. but a rap career don´t last that long so the smartest thing to do is to invest in real estate and shit like that.

The Predator

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2005, 06:51:47 AM »
I wonder how artists live when signed to Death Row, Suge 'Cunt' knight doesnt pay artists properly that have released albums for him and what about artists who dont even get to release a album. They must get broke as a joke.

Diabolical

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2005, 11:37:44 AM »

Most rappers dont even get radio play, tour money, cameo appearence money or mixtape sales.