Author Topic: Snoop DOGGY Dogg vs. Nas  (Read 2325 times)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
Re: Snoop DOGGY Dogg vs. Nas
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2013, 08:42:17 AM »
Nas aint even best rapper in his boro or city.
LOL
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Morphine

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2013, 09:13:07 AM »

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2013, 09:27:15 AM »

LMAO what a dumb opinion

bouli77

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2013, 11:22:40 AM »
LOL @ the comments in this thread

Snoop was cool as fuck in day 1 but his ABC nursery rhyme lyrics were carried by the production and the camaraderie of the other MCs involved. The sum was greater than the parts.

No way has snoop ever been close Nas. Only in his 'rap is too easy' dreams 

this

Jimmy H.

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »
This is just a weird comparison.  We're talking two very different types of artists.

But to make the argument that Nas would have been forgotten if he dropped around the time that "Doggystyle" did, I doubt it. "Illmatic" didn't gain its repuation off the strength of its presence on the Billboard charts. If he could stay relevent in a time when his region had Biggie and Wu-Tang blowing up then he would have been alright in the wake of Snoop's huge album sales. I mean, the mid-90's was something of a celebrated stylistic diversity in hip-hop where there was a little bit to pick from. It was similiar in 1998-99 when you would have Ruff Ryder, No Limit, Cash Money, Eminem, and several other acts vying for consumer dollars.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2013, 10:51:49 AM »
very true jimmy

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2013, 11:45:57 AM »
The thing is, most people judge MCs as being clever based on just the content of the lyrics...
So going off that, then Nas has WAY cleverer well-thought-out subject matter than Snoop.

BUT... Snoop is WAY cleverer in the use of his voice... he uses melodies, can sound sarcastic, smooth,
funny, etc. and is so interesting to listen to (on Doggystyle).

Little things like "can't fuck with this, can't fuck with that" (with the high pitched parts)
are added all the way through, and he really mixes up the rhythms more than Nas.

Nas doesn't really do much with his voice -- it's a steady monotone delivery all the way through usually,
with regular, methodical rhythms.

So I admire and appreciate Nas's music because the content is so well crafted, but I don't really enjoy
it that much musically, because he doesn't put a lot of time or effort into how it actually sounds, IMO.

I get why so many people love Nas though... if content is your thing, he's amazing, and
he doesn't sound bad, just not as varied as someone like Snoop.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 11:48:06 AM by UCC »

HighEyeCue

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2013, 04:29:45 AM »
Nas...but Snoop held his own on this one

TidyKris

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2013, 06:06:43 PM »
Two totally different styles and artists so its hard to give it a fair judgement.

The thing people forget about Illmatic is the huge buzz behind it when it was released.
The only problem with the album is that it was full on underground. There were no radio cuts at all
so the album did not do well from a commercial stand point. Where Doggystyle had a lot of cross over tracks.

If Illmatic would have had a few radio joints on it (like maybe if "If I Ruled The World" was on Illmatic) then it probably could have given Doggystyle a run for its money
sales wise but then again, one was a party album and the other was a deep album so its hard to compare

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2013, 06:25:57 PM »

LMAO what a dumb opinion

Yet Marley Marl, Shan, Poet and a host of other queens pioneers share it. Only you mainstream dicklickers obsess and nutride this dude.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

Okka

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 01:30:58 PM »

LMAO what a dumb opinion

Yet Marley Marl, Shan, Poet and a host of other queens pioneers share it. Only you mainstream dicklickers obsess and nutride this dude.

Why you hatin' on Nas? This has nothin' to do with the fact that you're a big Cormega fan?

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »

LMAO what a dumb opinion

Why you hatin' on Nas? This has nothin' to do with the fact that you're a big Cormega fan?

and we have a winner