Author Topic: What do you guys think about this column regarding Islamic Terrorism?  (Read 765 times)

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I highlighted specific parts.......

If It's a Muslim Problem, It Needs a Muslim Solution

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
New York Times
Published: July 8, 2005

Yesterday's bombings in downtown London are profoundly disturbing. In part, that is because a bombing in our mother country and closest ally, England, is almost like a bombing in our own country. In part, it's because one assault may have involved a suicide bomber, bringing this terrible jihadist weapon into the heart of a major Western capital. That would be deeply troubling because open societies depend on trust - on trusting that the person sitting next to you on the bus or subway is not wearing dynamite.

The attacks are also deeply disturbing because when jihadist bombers take their madness into the heart of our open societies, our societies are never again quite as open. Indeed, we all just lost a little freedom yesterday.

But maybe the most important aspect of the London bombings is this: When jihadist-style bombings happen in Riyadh, that is a Muslim-Muslim problem. That is a police problem for Saudi Arabia. But when Al-Qaeda-like bombings come to the London Underground, that becomes a civilizational problem. Every Muslim living in a Western society suddenly becomes a suspect, becomes a potential walking bomb. And when that happens, it means Western countries are going to be tempted to crack down even harder on their own Muslim populations.

That, too, is deeply troubling. The more Western societies - particularly the big European societies, which have much larger Muslim populations than America - look on their own Muslims with suspicion, the more internal tensions this creates, and the more alienated their already alienated Muslim youth become. This is exactly what Osama bin Laden dreamed of with 9/11: to create a great gulf between the Muslim world and the globalizing West.

So this is a critical moment. We must do all we can to limit the civilizational fallout from this bombing. But this is not going to be easy. Why? Because unlike after 9/11, there is no obvious, easy target to retaliate against for bombings like those in London. There are no obvious terrorist headquarters and training camps in Afghanistan that we can hit with cruise missiles. The Al Qaeda threat has metastasized and become franchised. It is no longer vertical, something that we can punch in the face. It is now horizontal, flat and widely distributed, operating through the Internet and tiny cells.

Because there is no obvious target to retaliate against, and because there are not enough police to police every opening in an open society, either the Muslim world begins to really restrain, inhibit and denounce its own extremists - if it turns out that they are behind the London bombings - or the West is going to do it for them. And the West will do it in a rough, crude way - by simply shutting them out, denying them visas and making every Muslim in its midst guilty until proven innocent.

And because I think that would be a disaster, it is essential that the Muslim world wake up to the fact that it has a jihadist death cult in its midst. If it does not fight that death cult, that cancer, within its own body politic, it is going to infect Muslim-Western relations everywhere. Only the Muslim world can root out that death cult. It takes a village.

What do I mean? I mean that the greatest restraint on human behavior is never a policeman or a border guard. The greatest restraint on human behavior is what a culture and a religion deem shameful. It is what the village and its religious and political elders say is wrong or not allowed. Many people said Palestinian suicide bombing was the spontaneous reaction of frustrated Palestinian youth. But when Palestinians decided that it was in their interest to have a cease-fire with Israel, those bombings stopped cold. The village said enough was enough.

The Muslim village has been derelict in condemning the madness of jihadist attacks. When Salman Rushdie wrote a controversial novel involving the prophet Muhammad, he was sentenced to death by the leader of Iran. To this day - to this day - no major Muslim cleric or religious body has ever issued a fatwa condemning Osama bin Laden.

Some Muslim leaders have taken up this challenge. This past week in Jordan, King Abdullah II hosted an impressive conference in Amman for moderate Muslim thinkers and clerics who want to take back their faith from those who have tried to hijack it. But this has to go further and wider.

The double-decker buses of London and the subways of Paris, as well as the covered markets of Riyadh, Bali and Cairo, will never be secure as long as the Muslim village and elders do not take on, delegitimize, condemn and isolate the extremists in their midst.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 09:27:49 AM by CWalker187 »

Don Seer

yeah i agree with that :)

notorious^q8I

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • KUWAITI........
To this day - to this day - no major Muslim cleric or religious body has ever issued a fatwa condemning Osama bin Laden.

WRONG!!!!
al azhar ( one of 2 major islamic bodies) condemed it
om al madae'en university in mecca, saudi arabia condemmed it and this IS the major fatwa source
i mean both of them bodies R the major sunni fatwa issuers

even in juma'a (friday) prayer in mecca around ka'aba the lecturer was condeming it and praying that god punishes whoever uses islam as an excuse to kill any human being
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 05:28:28 PM by notorious^q8I »

CLASSIC.... west is BACK

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Ill wipe my ass with this fuckin clown and his article, but yall stupid as hell so aint no point

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Thirteen

The U.S. plays the double standard way too often. I'll give you one quick, prime example... when the Soviets occupied Afghanistan, and the Afghan opposition aka the Mujahideen fought back, what did America do? Did it label them an insurgency? Were they terrorists? No, they were freedom fighters, and we gave them guns and told them kill those fucking Soviets. Now that Americans are occupying Iraq and the Iraqis are trying to drive out the occupier, what are the labels they're given?

how is that a double standard? Russia was trying to spread communism and fiddled with afghanistan's government while we helped muslims retake thier country

then fast forward and afghanistan is the home of many of the world's terrorist training camps after an attack on US soil

so in one we were helping freedom fighters and in the other they were terrorists

Thirteen

The U.S. plays the double standard way too often. I'll give you one quick, prime example... when the Soviets occupied Afghanistan, and the Afghan opposition aka the Mujahideen fought back, what did America do? Did it label them an insurgency? Were they terrorists? No, they were freedom fighters, and we gave them guns and told them kill those fucking Soviets. Now that Americans are occupying Iraq and the Iraqis are trying to drive out the occupier, what are the labels they're given?

how is that a double standard? Russia was trying to spread communism and fiddled with afghanistan's government while we helped muslims retake thier country

then fast forward and afghanistan is the home of many of the world's terrorist training camps after an attack on US soil

so in one we were helping freedom fighters and in the other they were terrorists

LMAO... read that last line of yours... and tell me that ain't no double standard being played....

"fiddled with afghanistan's government"... true... the same way that America fiddles with Iraq's government, Iran's government, Afghanistan's government, etc....

during your "fast forward"... you forgot to mention that after defeating the Soviets and bringing the Soviet Union to an end, Afghanistan now had to cope with a war-torn country, poverty, no government, and just a bunch of donated weapons... so what you think is gonna happen? Everybody started fighting each other for power... few years of that and the Taliban were trained by the CIA and Pakistan's ISI... they come into Afghanistan, run shit, take over the whole place and put everyone in check... no more fuckin around... we're coo with that, we need them there so we can get that pipeline deal, without a government we can't.... they abuse some human rights but we don't give a fuck... Bin Laden, who helped the Afghans fight the Soviets during the Cold War is willing to help Afghans with reconstruction and he stays in the country...

So to sum shit up... if the U.S. wouldn't have just left Afghanistan after the Soviet War, there MIGHT NOT have been a 9/11... no1 can say that for sure, but it would've been a lot less likely, that's for sure...  and to get back to my main point, if you can't see that the U.S. is playing a double standard then you're a fucking idiot.

you're right, 9/11 probably didn't happen but you're the only idiot here

us giving weapons to a bunch of fighters trying to retake their country IS is an example of freedom fighters

leaving that country alone after that, and them training people to come here and crash planes into building to kill civilians IS a an example of terrorism

so how do we have a double standard? they just bit the hand that fed them...

please when you give an example, do some more research to try and make it airtight... it was too easy to break you down

Thirteen

LMAO... first of all, Afghans didn't do 9/11... Afghans haven't done any sort of terrorist bombings, ever... so there goes your whole "they bit the hand that fed them" shit down the toilet...

So people trying to retake their countries are freedom fighters? I agree... my point is why doesn't this apply to Iraq?  This ain't a double standard? LOLLLLL you fuckin retard go crawl back into your mom's ass...

I'm not even gonna tell you to do research... research would require basic knowledge at hand for you to get more information about it

1. they trained most of the terrorists that participated in the attack and a few thousand or more other people that waged a jihad on americans... so there goes me owning you again

2. because the afghan fighters goals were to oust communism, most of their attacks were directed at getting rid of their current gov't and the russians. they called themselves the muhjideen or what ever and the world accepted that because that's what they were... freedom fighters

iraqi's kill everything. everything in iraq is a target. they're not targeting just the US and the current gov't they blow up kids, dogs, women, kittens to cause total chaos. they use mosques and hospitals for their bases to further disrupt shit. they call them selves al qaeda and various other terrorist organizations... the world accepts them as terrorists

you can call them friendly clowns for all i care, you're a moron anyways

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!

1. Afghans trained the terrorists? LMAO.... you don't own shit... show me 1 piece of evidence that says "Afghans trained terrorists".... Bin Laden and his peepz were trained on Afghan soil, not by Afghans... you're honestly one of the most retarded people to grace this board.

Afghanistan was the home base for Al-Quada. The Taliban allowed Al-Quada to recruit and train terrorists and plot attacks in Afghanistan. After 9/11 happened, the US asked the Taliban to hand over Bin laden who directed the attacks on New York and Washington. They also asked them to shut down the training camps. When the Taliban said no, the US had the right to invade Afghanistan and topple them. 

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!

LMAO... read that last line of yours... and tell me that ain't no double standard being played....

"fiddled with afghanistan's government"... true... the same way that America fiddles with Iraq's government, Iran's government, Afghanistan's government, etc....

during your "fast forward"... you forgot to mention that after defeating the Soviets and bringing the Soviet Union to an end, Afghanistan now had to cope with a war-torn country, poverty, no government, and just a bunch of donated weapons... so what you think is gonna happen? Everybody started fighting each other for power... few years of that and the Taliban were trained by the CIA and Pakistan's ISI... they come into Afghanistan, run shit, take over the whole place and put everyone in check... no more fuckin around... we're coo with that, we need them there so we can get that pipeline deal, without a government we can't.... they abuse some human rights but we don't give a fuck... Bin Laden, who helped the Afghans fight the Soviets during the Cold War is willing to help Afghans with reconstruction and he stays in the country...

So to sum shit up... if the U.S. wouldn't have just left Afghanistan after the Soviet War, there MIGHT NOT have been a 9/11... no1 can say that for sure, but it would've been a lot less likely, that's for sure...  and to get back to my main point, if you can't see that the U.S. is playing a double standard then you're a fucking idiot.
america never defeated the soviets, it collapsed from within. its a common misconseption...

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
Ill wipe my ass with this fuckin clown and his article, but yall stupid as hell so aint no point

To this day - to this day - no major Muslim cleric or religious body has ever issued a fatwa condemning Osama bin Laden.

WRONG!!!!
om al madae'en university in mecca, saudi arabia condemmed it and this IS the major fatwa source

even in juma'a (friday) prayer in mecca around ka'aba the lecturer was condeming it and praying that god punishes whoever uses islam as an excuse to kill any human being

SHit, even I KNEW THAT! But the dumb ass does have some points.
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: What do you guys think about this column regarding Islamic Terrorism?
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 04:11:35 AM »

WRONG!!!!

SHit, even I KNEW THAT! But the dumb ass does have some points.
he was very vague starts talking about osama bin laden and then says these people condemed it... condemed what? the london attacks? 911 attacks? or actually put fatwa on osama bin laden like we were talking about?

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

UAK

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 04:55:27 AM »
by simply shutting them out, denying them visas and making every Muslim in its midst guilty until proven innocent.

I wish the Middle East/Africa could shut out White people  8) that would be nice.

Gangstauu

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FC Utrecht 4 Life
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 11:35:34 AM »

1. Afghans trained the terrorists? LMAO.... you don't own shit... show me 1 piece of evidence that says "Afghans trained terrorists".... Bin Laden and his peepz were trained on Afghan soil, not by Afghans... you're honestly one of the most retarded people to grace this board.

Afghanistan was the home base for Al-Quada. The Taliban allowed Al-Quada to recruit and train terrorists and plot attacks in Afghanistan. After 9/11 happened, the US asked the Taliban to hand over Bin laden who directed the attacks on New York and Washington. They also asked them to shut down the training camps. When the Taliban said no, the US had the right to invade Afghanistan and topple them. 

yes, its common knowledge and its official that terrorists being trained in afghanistan as we speak

One day everything is gonna be fine
But until that day my only reply "westside till I die"  -TQ

West Up

Utreg 4 Life

Gangstauu

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FC Utrecht 4 Life
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 11:37:00 AM »
by simply shutting them out, denying them visas and making every Muslim in its midst guilty until proven innocent.

they never use their visas anyway.

West Up

Utreg 4 Life

Gangstauu

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FC Utrecht 4 Life
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 11:42:16 AM »

yes, its common knowledge and its official that terrorists being trained in afghanistan as we speak

LOL... by who? Americans.... again?

They showed training videos on the news over here. They being trained by other smelly rats

West Up

Utreg 4 Life