Author Topic: Question for all the great minds in here  (Read 243 times)

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: Question for all the great minds in here
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 11:18:09 PM »
i knew watching mr. wizard back in the 80's would pay off... 8)

check game

you can catch a cold any time of year
 the viris that causes the cold is more likely to succeed in making you sick or effecting you when you're body isn't regulating a steady temperature. Now most places in the world you catch a cold when it's winter time, because that's when the most dramatic temperture changes occur, your body has to try harder to maintain a constant temp allowing the viris to take hold. BUT you can get the cold in the summer time just as easily....most places have relatively weak summers as far as tempertures go, 78, 80, 88 at their hottest....but if you're like me and live in a hot ass desert area like BAKErsfield where you get temps like 107, 110, 112, 104, ect your body tries harder to cool itself down and you can catch the cold, like i did just 2 weeks ago

fans, air conditioners, and shit CAN cause it though too, but like somebody said above me it's probably cuz you got your nose cold since that's the area of the body where most provention of airborn virises are contained.

this also goes with something one of my old science teachers who use to rock climb the rocky mountains said, he was telling us that if you're ever trapped in the snow it's important to keep your feet, hands , top of your head, and NOSE warm. if you do taht  you'll have a better chance of surviving the elements

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

rafsta

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 02:53:25 AM »
i remember an argument about this not too long ago...

people said you cant get sick when youre cold its a virus... then what about the common cold ? i got sick a few weeks back, because i got cold... now whether its directly affected to me being cold or not, i still got sick... so even if its because the bodies imune system is weaker when your cold, its still in part the fault of the cold weather why you are sick...

my prognosis: get cold, get sick.

Trauma-san

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 05:25:08 AM »
I think this is a good example of Science trying really hard to explain something, when the old wive's tale was right about it the whole time.  I think it shows that many times, the most commonly held answer is actually true, even though you don't know why and you can't prove it. 

I feel a little better this morning, maybe I won't die afterall. 

40oz GRApHire

• Funk Doctor
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • PS: I'm still a Buddhist :)
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 07:39:15 AM »
Trauma, I know what you mean. A few weeks ago it was very hot here aswell and I had to put on my fan in my room and after 2 nights I started having a sore troath. So watch out putting a fan aimed at you at night.
40oz Graphire

Don Seer

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 01:56:22 PM »
i also get a sore throat from using a fan in summer.. i believe its due to the fact that i'm accelerating pollen. its worse when grass has been cut..and also when my friend who suffers so badly from pollen allergy he can barely leave the house is at his worst.

It could be because the fan isn't clean and it's blowing stuff everywhere.

yeah... i just had the air-con system on my car sorted out and i got lots of info leaflets about how regular air-con servicing keeps down air borne contaminants. they had a picture in there that basically showed a car in an air bubble going through a town with its air-con on repelling all the germs.

also another thing.. i used to ALWAYS get ill once or twice during winter.. ever since i've been driving to work instead of walking or cycling i've been fine.

in direct answer to the thread. i thought they didnt know the cause of the "common cold" apart from preventative methods like not getting cold, wearing wet/damp clothes.

i have a similar question leading out of this..

how do you catch hypothermia "just from being really cold".. its a progression of the same problem.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2005, 04:47:52 PM »
drink some water and you'll be fine

but its obvious when you sleep you sweat, and the cold air just helped you get sick
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Thirteen

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2005, 04:52:12 PM »
i've slept with a fan, A/c window cracked in the winter near my head for a long time and i can't remember ever needing to blame a cold on doing this

it was probably coincidence

Trauma-san

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 10:26:07 PM »
O, in my case it isn't because the fan's dirty, because the fan's brand new, and the house doesn't have an excessive amount of Pollen in it, because the fans on with all the windows shut (as they always are)

Then you said all they know about the common cold is that you can prevent it by not getting cold, not wearing damp clothes, etc. but the whole thread is about finding out why that would make you sick, if a cold is a virus.  Damp clothes shouldn't make you catch a virus.

Duck man, same thing, I know it's obvious that the cold made me get sick, I was just trying to figure out the relationship between the cold air, and a virus.