Poll

Who is more qualified to give you advice?

Psychotherapist/Psychiatrist
Vicar/Preacher/Imam
Ain't no one tells me what to do foo!
Don't know.

Author Topic: Who is more qualified to give you advice?  (Read 359 times)

Don Seer

Who is more qualified to give you advice?
« on: July 12, 2005, 12:39:18 PM »

just wondered how people feel about this issue..

personally i feel that religious 'professionals' have no reason to be all up in certain aspects of peoples lives and that it should be left to trained professionals.

mauzip

Re: Who is more qualified to give you advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 12:44:56 PM »
I voted for "Psychotherapist/Psychiatrist". These people know what they're talking about and they talk to you from an objective point of view. A preacher or imam always talks to you from a religious point of view. Considering the fact that I don't have a religion, their advice means just as much as the advice from a stranger.

By the way... what is a vicar?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 12:50:44 PM by Mauzip »

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 12:55:00 PM »
over here the vicar is the guy that runs the local church, gives the sermons etc etc

'EclipZe

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 12:57:41 PM »
voted for "Psychotherapist/Psychiatrist" 2. I Don't really believe that stuff the priests and such say... waste of time most of it, leave it up 2 the professionals

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 02:11:48 PM »
dont know
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

bez

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 03:07:14 PM »
I think you can give yourself advice better than any 'professional' can.  I mean you sit there and take advice off somebody who probably hasnt been in your situation before, but they have probably heard it a thousand times before.  Therefore in my own opinion I feel that you need to understand and educate yourself with your own problems and figure them out on your own because theres only so much a person can tell you about 'your' problem. 

No matter how long you sit there and talk to somebody about something they are never going to truly understand what is going on inside your head and what feelings and emotions you have.  I think that if you sit down and talk to yourself about your problems and figure out what is what then you have a better chance of overcoming your problems thanks to your own advice.

People might be qualified to talk to you, but only you are qualified to change you.

bez

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 03:17:20 PM »

Let's say you're a guy in your 20s and you're scooping out coins out of arcades and you're wondering what the fuck is wrong with your life.. then you can go see a shrink

Why though?  So you pay some guy or girl to sit there and tell you that yes you are an idiot, yes you are a fuck up.  Instead of just sitting there one day and actually telling yourself that you dont wanna be 30 years old and still scooping coins out of arcades.  Just tell yourself that this is not the road you wanna go down for the rest of your life and make the change. 

Fuck You, Pay Me

• 'G'
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 03:22:05 PM »

Let's say you're a guy in your 20s and you're scooping out coins out of arcades and you're wondering what the fuck is wrong with your life.. then you can go see a shrink

Why though?  So you pay some guy or girl to sit there and tell you that yes you are an idiot, yes you are a fuck up.  Instead of just sitting there one day and actually telling yourself that you dont wanna be 30 years old and still scooping coins out of arcades.  Just tell yourself that this is not the road you wanna go down for the rest of your life and make the change. 

I dunno, don't tell me... tell Trauma  :D

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 01:49:09 AM »
Depends if you need mental or spiritual help.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Don Seer

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 02:05:58 AM »

thats part of the point of this thread...

where does should the dividing line be?

just in matters of faith? or more..?

Dogg_Pound_Gangsta

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 02:10:20 AM »
i only take advice from people who are where i want to be.  people try to give me advice but i dont take it i tell them this:  with all due respect i only take advice from people who are where i want to be. then they shut the fuck up! haha

Sikotic™

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 02:18:38 AM »

thats part of the point of this thread...

where does should the dividing line be?

just in matters of faith? or more..?

Psychology doesn't really deal with matters of faith and religious leaders don't touch on psychology. I say they are completely different entities and both need help individually.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

rafsta

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 03:54:14 AM »
it depends...

but if you see a good priest, they always give you the right advice... a psychiatrist is a professional, but a priest is also a moral professional, they study like 7 years to become a priest... even if youre not religous, a good priest will give moral advice that will always be correct...

Trauma-san

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 05:45:07 AM »

just wondered how people feel about this issue..

personally i feel that religious 'professionals' have no reason to be all up in certain aspects of peoples lives and that it should be left to trained professionals.

Well of course you'd believe that, you're not religious!  I wouldn't expect you to believe preachers know what they're talking about when you don't believe in what they're saying, it's paradoxial.

I've always felt you get the best advice from people that know you the most.  In your case, you wouldn't get much good advice from a preacher, because they don't know a thing about you.  Psychiatrists may be trained better or whatever, but they're just taking shots in the dark in most instances, no one can honestly know what another person thinks or feels enough to accurately give advice all of the time... so in these instances you're best to ask your parents, or your friends, or your siblings, whatever because they're going to know you enough to give the best advice.

For instance, you might be wondering about moving jobs, your preacher might tell you that yeah, it sounds like something they'd do because you'd spend less time at work at the new job, and more time with your family.  The psychiatrist might tell you yeah, it sounds like a good thing to do because the job seems to be more fullfilling and perhaps you'll enjoy it better, but your friends might know you enough to know that you have 10 friends where you're working now who you'd hate to leave behind, and advise you the raise isn't worth losing all your friends

or whatever

Diabolical

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 06:18:23 AM »
I wouldnt ask any of them, I think your friends and family would be most qualified as they know you better.