Author Topic: Internet may come to your power outlet  (Read 87 times)

UAK

Internet may come to your power outlet
« on: July 20, 2005, 10:01:05 AM »
Internet may come to your power outlet
CenterPoint, IBM team up to test technologies for high-speed access over electrical powerlines.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Utility operator CenterPoint Energy Inc. and IBM will team up to test new technologies for delivering high-speed Internet access over electrical powerlines, the companies said Monday.

CenterPoint (up $0.19 to $13.49, Research) has opened a technology center at one of its facilities in Houston, with design help from IBM (up $1.92 to $79.30, Research), and has also launched a trial of broadband over powerline (BPL) to a 220-home area in Houston, they said.

CenterPoint said its BPL pilot will run through this August, after which it will evaluate consumer response and the merits of a larger deployment.

Last week Current Communications Group, which develops BPL services, raised a reported $100 million in financing from a diverse group of investors including Google Inc. (up $0.69 to $296.23, Research) and Goldman Sachs to fund the deployment of its technology.

Broadband services over electrical lines are seen as an attractive alternative for rural areas where traditional broadband delivery mediums like cable and telephone lines do not or can not reach.

How does BPL work? Click here to find out.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/11/technology/centerpoint_ibm.reut/index.htm

Buys CenterPoint stock  :D

« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 10:04:37 AM by BlockBuster aka KAIN »

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
Re: Internet may come to your power outlet
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 10:23:21 AM »
just read it and how it works and i got to tell u man sounds like a great. if i know that i can plug my computer into an outlet and go online line with high speed internet without out getting shocked or burnin my house down then ill get it

UAK

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 10:51:33 AM »
just read it and how it works and i got to tell u man sounds like a great. if i know that i can plug my computer into an outlet and go online line with high speed internet without out getting shocked or burnin my house down then ill get it

That's why they're testing it  ;D

Jome

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 09:18:48 PM »
lol, they was talking about this around the time Internet became mainstream, about time they're doing something.  :D